English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 04 March 2009, 12:14   #1
NovaCoder

A1200:EasyNet Wireless setup woes

Hiya,

Not having much luck with EasyNet installed on a clean OS 3.9.

AmiTCP.log:
Code:
Wed Mar 04 21:52:34 2009 [note ]: NetDB(netdb-myhost) line 2: Syntax error before col 7
Wed Mar 04 21:52:35 2009 [warn ]: netdb: WITH file netdb-myhost: Syntax error
Wed Mar 04 21:52:35 2009 [note ]: NetDB(AmiTCP:db/netdb) line 15: Syntax error before col 18
Wed Mar 04 21:52:35 2009 [warn ]: init_netdb: file AmiTCP:db/netdb: Syntax error
EasyNet.debug:
Code:
HOSTNAME:
amiga
AMITCP port found
object not found
It gives the above error even if the Wireless PCMCIA card isn't installed so it's more like the software hasn't be installed correctly?

Anyone got any ideas?

More info:

I'm using version 0.170 of EasyNet.

I've just noticed that the TCP/IP settings are wrong (Gateway is set to disabled) but if you make changes and save it seems to forget them?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 April 2009 at 12:27.
Old 04 March 2009, 12:26   #2
amigakit.com

Goto the Project menu, select Interfaces, then select prism2.device from the list. Click Settings... button to configure your wireless network. Save the settings and selected interface.

Goto the Help menu, select Network Configuration Help and post the results of the diagnostic check.
Old 04 March 2009, 13:20   #3
NovaCoder

Hiya,

The only way I could get it to save my TCP/IP settings save was to change the permissions of all the files under 'AMITCP/DB' (+delete & write).

I tried the help menu but all I got was an EasyNet error dialog saying 'Cannot open RAM:T/EasyNet.log'. This was strange because if I typed the same command into the shell it opened the log?

EasyNet.log:
Code:
++ EasyNet Information ++

Version            = EasyNet 0.170 (15/12/08) AmigaKit.com
File Size          = 366256 bytes
bsdsocket.library  = unknown

++ Network Settings ++

Your IP address    = 192.168.0.53
Network SubNetMask = 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway IP  = 192.168.0.1
Your hostname      = amiga
Network domainname = wireless614

++ Domain Name Servers ++

Primary DNS        = 203.134.64.66
Secondary DNS      = 203.134.65.66
Tertiary DNS       = 

++ Network Interface ++  

Device             = prism2.device (unknown version installed)
Unit Number        = 0
Wireless Settings  = C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID wireless614 MANAGED TEXTKEY AAAAXAAAAX001    (version 1.2 installed)
Library            = pccard.library (unknown version installed)

++ TCPIP Settings ++  

MBUF_CONF MAXMEM   = 256K
Use Name Server    = First
Use Loopback       = No
Debug SANA         = Yes
Gateway Mode       = Yes

++ Hosts ++  

** NO HOSTS ADDED **

++ Assigns ++  

Assign AmiTCP: "System:Internet/AmiTCP"
Thanks
Old 04 March 2009, 13:48   #4
amigakit.com

The permissions are set correctly on the EasyNet CD so this is a problem with the transfer method to get the files across to the Amiga. This explains why settings were not being saved correctly. Try resaving all settings now that you have enabled write permissions.

Gateway should be set to no.
Old 04 March 2009, 23:10   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
The permissions are set correctly on the EasyNet CD so this is a problem with the transfer method to get the files across to the Amiga. This explains why settings were not being saved correctly. Try resaving all settings now that you have enabled write permissions.

Gateway should be set to no.
Yep I thought it might be something like that. I haven't a CDROM attached to my Miggy so I have to use WINUAE with my Amiga's HD mounted to install the software. This means that when I run the install program it cannot connect to register the software (because my PC obviously doesn't have a PCMCIA card), I'm not sure if this is part of my problem.

I'll try a reinstall and I'll also try it with the Gateway option (under TCPIP) settings set to no.

Any idea why it cannot see the settings log from the help menu? Does that also point to a problem with the install?

Thanks
Old 04 March 2009, 23:22   #6
Slayer
Amiga Member

When I wanted to reset all the protection flags in one directory and the subdirectories of that directory too I'd cd to that dir and type (from memory)

protect #? rwed all

or something like that

you people who mix classic with PC are always borderline problematic ;-)
Old 06 March 2009, 13:22   #7
NovaCoder

Ok so I've reinstalled it and this time it works a lot better but it's still not quite right.

Now it will connect but I can't ping anything (no packets returned).

Looking at the EasyNet.debug log file it tells me the following:

Code:
HOSTNAME:
amiga
AMITCP port found
add host amiga: gateway localhost
add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1: Network is unreachable
bsdsocket.library 3.28
?

Do I need to install any other software with EasyNet (eg Genesis?).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 07 March 2009 at 04:18.
Old 06 March 2009, 14:17   #8
amigakit.com

Definately do not install any other TCP/IP stack- it will conflict with EasyNet. Is the light illuminated solid or flashing on the PCMCIA card?
Old 06 March 2009, 23:28   #9
NovaCoder

Ok I think I've found the problem, I don't think the wireless card I was using is Amiga/prism2 compatible. It's a SS-Lan MN128, anyone know if this is true? I've done some searching on the forums but came up empty so I guess nobody else here has used one.

At least the software seems to be installed properly now (although I still cannot access the log file from the help menu....just a bug maybe?).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 07 March 2009 at 04:29.
Old 07 March 2009, 13:48   #10
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hi there Nova,

Some points based on my own experiences:

A: Could never get EasyNet to work with my Prism2 supported MA401 card. People warned me about the apparent "impossibilty" of easily setting up a wireless connection with AmiTCP/IP (which EasyNet is the GUI for if I understand correctly)...they seem to have been correct!

B: EasyNet however kicks ass if you are using a wired connection, which is how I now use it...very good indeed!

C: I tried Miami & thought it would never work either, but it was a matter of hitting "return/enter" before the "ok" gui when putting in the DNS settings I think....a quick search will reveal all...it is easy to set up, just needs one tricky action.

So...after all that, I've got a spare MA401, since I hard-wired a network throughout my house before finding out how I missed a simple step in the Miami setup process.

I'll PM you my number since we are both in Oz...send me an SMS if you are interested or have any questions about the card

PZ.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:53   #11
NovaCoder

Just a little update. On the advise of other people here I tracked down a MA401 wireless PCMCIA card and have just plugged it in...and now everything is working correctly!
Old 27 April 2009, 05:21   #12
NovaCoder

Ok I'm typing this reply with AWeb version from the 3.9 cdrom, it's very slow but it works

I'm not sure if this is the best version of AWeb to use or what config changes to make to improve the speed (eg caches)?

Anyway, it's probably not something I'll be using very often, I just wanted to see what it would be like.

Update:

I downloaded the latest open source version of AWeb but it doesn't seem as good as this OS3.9 version.

I've had a play around with the config and increased the cache which makes it quicker, the main thing that kills it are loading images because the whole browser locks for each image load...ouch!

I might have a quick play with IBrowse 2.4 to see how they compare with my setup.

Update x2:
I'm now using IBrowse 2.4 (demo) and it seems much more usable on my 1200 030/50mhz 64mb AGA machine. The speed is better and I'm not getting the cookie prompts every 5 seconds....bonus

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 April 2009 at 16:31.
Old 29 June 2009, 01:15   #13
NovaCoder

Now that I've got it all working, I decided to make a [ Show youtube player ] on how slow it is to surf the Net with a 1200
Old 29 June 2009, 01:51   #14
amigakit.com

Nice video.
Old 29 June 2009, 01:57   #15
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Now that I've got it all working, I decided to make a [ Show youtube player ] on how slow it is to surf the Net with a 1200
Ive watched your videos thanks - your icons load slow, do you Skick? or maybe you just need to free up some chip mem and where do you get your cool B&W backdrops?
Old 29 June 2009, 04:18   #16
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Ive watched your videos thanks - your icons load slow, do you Skick? or maybe you just need to free up some chip mem and where do you get your cool B&W backdrops?
Thanks,

I'm planning on doing some more showing AGA demos and some games now that I've got the capture box. Most Amiga videos are either with a wonky video camera showing nasty CRT screen flicker or off UAE which is cheating

Yep my icons are a little slow, that's because it's running in 256 colors 640x480 @ 65hz. The AGA chipset really suffers beyond about 64 colors but I like a nice desktop

You can speed it up by using something like FBblit but that was causing all sorts of display issues issues for me. More free chipram won't speed up the icon rendering I'm afraid.
Old 29 June 2009, 04:18   #17
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Nice video.
Thanks
Old 29 June 2009, 10:35   #18
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Okays, thanks for updating this thread, Nova ^^

Now.. it seems my WLAN is an ORiNOCO 11b card... with "awlan ws8p" in small print underneath. Only text I can find about it on the 'tinternet is for Linux/BSD drivers..... nothing about what chipset it might be based on o0r anything

Got the card from AmigaKit, so I would presume it's tested and works corectly with EasyNET.... but I'm out of luck getting it to work...

Got it working once, with MiamiDX, then I turned the Amiga off and came back some hours later, and suddenly it didn't work anymore.

Light on the card is blinking steadily, and I have roughly the same problem as NovaCoder reported here in the first posts.... it says "connected" but can't ping anything, cant ping the Amiga from neither the Redmond-based computer nor the routers' ping-ability.

*sigh*

Why did I decide to try wireless... I hate it with a passion already, why did I get meself one of those dreaded things
Old 29 June 2009, 13:36   #19
NovaCoder

Hiya Doc,

All of my troubles went away when I brought a cheap second-hand MA401 off eBay, it connected first time using EasyNet.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:42   #20
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Don't get me wrong.... the card I got is from AmigaKit.co.uk so I would just assume it was tested and works..... anyways, just ebayed a Netgear MA401 16 bit 802.11b PCMCIA WiFi card so hopefully I'll be good to go in a few weeks... card is shipped from United Spooks of America so it might take a few days to arrive.

Anyways... I'll keep updating as and when I get the card.

Thanks for the tip, Nova ^^