English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 06 May 2005, 09:34   #1
ableeker

SAS C/C++ 6.58 manual?

Now that we can use SAS C/C++ 6.58 to create Amiga applications, is there anybody who has an electronic version of the manual? I used to have this thing myself, and I seem to remember that it consisted of two fairly fat binders. They just had to contain something useful!

Thanks,

Aldo Bleeker

Old 06 May 2005, 16:49   #2
ableeker

I actually found something, a manual for SAS C 6.0. OK, not 6.5, but the guy who created these files assures us not much has changed. It's a start, at least. Actually, I found this document by visiting a site which was mentioned in a thread on this very board, in Req.Apps, in a thread called NDK for OS 3.9. Anyway, you can find the manual SAS/C 6.0 Manual on this site, in the section called Amiga Documents, Other Platforms. This site has a lot of interesting information.

Aldo Bleeker

Old 07 May 2005, 04:07   #3
Runey
Survivor

I've got an original SAS C package hidden in my shed somewhere. Not sure what version it is. I'll dig it out and have a look.
Old 10 July 2005, 06:54   #4
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

Ok i have dug out my old SAS C 6.5 manuals and to be honest there is very little difference between the V6 docs and the 6.5 versions. The only real differrences are the explanations of new features, bug fixes and errors in the documentation. 99% of the new features relate to support of the C++ tools that were added for this release.
Old 11 July 2005, 16:34   #5
ableeker

Thanks for checking! Is the new material any good? Or will the v6 manual do for day-to-day work with the compiler?

Old 12 July 2005, 08:01   #6
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

For day to day work with the compiler the V6 manual is fine. Unless you are working with the c++ additions for v6.5 the changes dont make any difference to the rest of the sac/c system. The only real additions for the rest of the system are bug fixes and a few misprints in the manal corrected and about half a dozen new little and i mean little features that the majority of people would never use or need anyway.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:54   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is SAS/C 'the' C-compiler package to use?

Are the newer Storm-C packages any better?

I've never coded anything in C for the Amiga, but I was going to start (thrown in at the deepend) with a hardware driver.
Old 12 July 2005, 12:11   #8
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

SAS C used to be 'the' C Compiler to use - I believe (I could be wrong - it has been known to happen) C= used it for a while in developing later versions of the OS (2.0-3.1).

SAS/C stopped being developed about a year after C= Amiga went bankrupt - an Amiga sas/c engineer wrote patches to fix bugs for another couple of years in his own time and then stopped (as would be expected).

Storm-C was developed by Haage & Partner up until a couple of years ago and can compile powerpc binaries for the Phase5 powerup boards - SAS/C can't (well it can in an unsupported and very basic manner).

So it really depends what you want to do with it - if you only want to develop code for the old 68k amigas then sas/c is fine. However if you want powerpc support then storm c is the only real way to go.

Storm C is the more modern and feature rich of the two and probably the better compiler of the two.

Not a real answer I know but it all comes down to personal choice and what you want to achieve with it.
Old 12 July 2005, 13:12   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But Storm C can compile for 68k also?

What was the latest version? I guess it too is discontinued?
Old 23 July 2005, 14:39   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Version 3 i belive, i have the CD which is one of the few originals i purchased lol

i can upload the image or a zip of the files (now checking sizes)

FILES 228MB
ISO 247MB

complete compressed 58MB

not sure if the zone is gonna let me upload that LOL

but if its okay with the moderators its okay by me... let me know peeps....
Old 23 July 2005, 15:10   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

looking at zone rules... as long as its onder 6MB i can post... hmmm okies i will compress a CD ISO (.mdf/mds format ) *use alcohole, fantom or win iso to burn the cd*

there will be multiple rar files 13 to be exeact of 5 MB each (last being about 3) .... no worries ) get ya winra and re3build the whole thing.... OH BTW the serial key is in the comments of the archive
(just load it up in your fav unarchiver for the pc and you should be able to access the comments...

should be in the zone in the next few minutes
Old 26 March 2008, 12:39   #12
g00ey

I'm trying to get this manual but the links for downloading the SAS/C manual are gone. Does anyone know any newer links that work?

Old 26 March 2008, 16:22   #13
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ey View Post
I'm trying to get this manual but the links for downloading the SAS/C manual are gone. Does anyone know any newer links that work?
I grabbed these from the Zone a while ago. There back in there now for you

Dave G
Old 23 October 2008, 21:19   #14
KnaxAmi

How to get access to the Zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
I grabbed these from the Zone a while ago. There back in there now for you

Dave G
Hi, I'm new to EAB and can't access this "Zone". I'm no Stalker and neither from GDR.

Old 23 October 2008, 21:58   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnaxAmi View Post
Hi, I'm new to EAB and can't access this "Zone". I'm no Stalker and neither from GDR.
Hello there KnaxAmi,

Welcome to EAB

You can access The Zone! by following these instructions: How do I get access to the zone?

Unfortunately though, files uploaded to The Zone! only have a maximum life of 7 days...

Your in luck, these manuals have also been uploaded to Magix's FTP Server under the directory /Amiga Documentation
Old 23 October 2008, 22:05   #16
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@KnaxAmi

Welcome and have fun

@DamienD

That'll save me putting them back in the zone in future

Dave G