English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 January 2018, 15:03   #1
Foebane
Banned

Comparing WinUAE configurations

If someone uses a few or many configurations for WinUAE, how do they go about making sure the right settings are used in each one, at a glance, without having to click the configuration, click Load and then click on each of the settings pages required, and then repeat for the next configuration?

I know that if a system were used that would have the configurations as a list on the top of the WinUAE window, and then they can just single-click the config and see the selected settings page change instantly, and they can just click through them, would most likely require an extensive rewrite of the WinUAE interface, and I'm not sure Toni would have the time for that, but I'm wondering if a simple alternative exists? Maybe a secondary app that will do the above but simply display the settings as they would be in WinUAE without changing anything?

The other practical idea I have in mind is to design a spreadsheet template that will summarise the settings: settings down a column, configurations along the rows. It could be doable for the most common settings, and I wouldn't mind giving it a go. It would have to be OpenOffice, mind, as I don't have MS Office.

What do you think?
Old 19 January 2018, 16:07   #2
DamienD
Banned

No offence, but personally I think you're lazy and nuts...

Any collection (including my own) starts somewhere... you begin by using Quickstart settings until you understand what every setting does and then adjust *slightly* to suit your setup / aesthetic needs.

Then, when you have say a new A500 or A1200 game / demo that you want to emulate, you run it via your set configurations.

If there are problems / it fails for some reason, you then tweak until perfect and finally save.

No need for damn lists; everything you need is now there in WinUAE once you've saved your configuration...

Again, this is why anyone serious about Amiga emulation has one configuration per game / demo

To quote the MAMEDev guru David Haywood "Haze":

Quote:
It might be a ‘quick’ way to get started, but with emulation you get what you put in.
Old 19 January 2018, 16:50   #3
Foebane
Banned

OK, then, what about those demos or games that don't support multiple drives and you have to swap disks: How do you load up the necessary disks? The Disk Swapper?

And I have a lot of stuff that runs from the Workbench. How do I get one of those games or demos running from a config?

Any advice on this would be useful.
Old 19 January 2018, 17:05   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
OK, then, what about those demos or games that don't support multiple drives and you have to swap disks: How do you load up the necessary disks? The Disk Swapper?
Errrrr, use the WinUAE shortcuts then i.e:

Insert disk into DFO: <End> + <F1> then select disk.
Insert disk into DF1: <End> + <F2> then select disk.
Insert disk into DF2: <End> + <F3> then select disk.
Insert disk into DF3: <End> + <F4> then select disk.

Or press <F12> to bring up the GUI and manually navigate to / select the required disk; not difficult really is it?

...or as you say, use the "Disk swapper", load all disks in and then press:

1st disk into DF0: <End> + 1
2nd disk into DF0: <End> + 2
3rd disk into DF0: <End> + 3
4th disk into DF0: <End> + 4
etc...

Your point is mute anyway; you'd have to do the same process on a "real" Amiga

Quote:
And I have a lot of stuff that runs from the Workbench. How do I get one of those games or demos running from a config?

Any advice on this would be useful.
Well, I have one .HDF per game so not really an issue for me...

It's about being organised, you can make it easy if you plan ahead / put the work in
Old 19 January 2018, 21:17   #5
Foebane
Banned

DamienD, what other types of Amiga disks/files do you deal with, aside from HDFs?
Old 19 January 2018, 21:39   #6
DamienD
Banned

.ADF / .IPF / .DMS / .EXE / .LHA / .LZX / and others I've forgotten ATM...
Old 19 January 2018, 22:41   #7
Foebane
Banned

I'm trying the idea of a config per ADF at the moment, but I worry about converting AmigaDOS folders of varying sizes into similarly-varying-sized HDFs.

On a side note, have you tried the Zip version of the new WinUAE, from the website? The files contain odd attributes that I can't get rid of, namely showing up as "P" and "U" attributes in Windows 10. I've never heard of those before, and I don't know if they help, but I don't like that sort of unknown in file systems.
Old 19 January 2018, 22:51   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying the idea of a config per ADF at the moment, but I worry about converting AmigaDOS folders of varying sizes into similarly-varying-sized HDFs.
Sorry Foebane but I'm really confused by the above.

"converting AmigaDOS folders of varying sizes into similarly-varying-sized HDFs."

Load archives in a pre-setup WB environment, work out the space required and then create the new .HDF. That's the beauty of emulation; mess up, start again.

Anyway, my comment is about one configuration per game / demo / whatever. It can be an .ADF / .IPF / .HDF / [AmigaCD] / anything...

Quote:
On a side note, have you tried the Zip version of the new WinUAE, from the website? The files contain odd attributes that I can't get rid of, namely showing up as "P" and "U" attributes in Windows 10. I've never heard of those before, and I don't know if they help, but I don't like that sort of unknown in file systems.
I only ever download / use the .ZIP archives of WinUAE. Why bother installing?

Anyway, no, I don't have the issue you describe and never have encountered this in over a decade of constant use.
Old 20 January 2018, 06:09   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
No offence, but personally I think you're lazy and nuts...

Again, this is why anyone serious about Amiga emulation has one configuration per game / demo
The way I've done it is to take various Amiga models and dedicate whole folders filled with disks/files/WHDLoad games/AmigaDOS folders that will run best on those, with the corresponding single configurations per model - it seems more practical to me, and I've had no problems doing it that way. And most of my time was taken to determine what ran best on what model, so I wouldn't say I was lazy. Didn't you see my HTML file? That shows exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sorry Foebane but I'm really confused by the above.

"converting AmigaDOS folders of varying sizes into similarly-varying-sized HDFs."

Load archives in a pre-setup WB environment, work out the space required and then create the new .HDF. That's the beauty of emulation; mess up, start again.
Or why not just use a standard Windows folder filled with such archives and point WinUAE to it, as I've been doing? I use my ClassicWB System HDF as DH0:, the folder as DH1: and I'm fine.

Quote:
I only ever download / use the .ZIP archives of WinUAE. Why bother installing?

Anyway, no, I don't have the issue you describe and never have encountered this in over a decade of constant use.
I don't install neither, I was talking about the "Zip Archive 32-bit" from the WinUAE.net Download page. I download that file, open it up in 7-Zip and I see strange file attributes in it. But I'll leave that as another matter to investigate.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:15   #10
Foebane
Banned

Back on topic:

It turns out that I can easily do what I wanted, at least comparing just two configurations at a time, by simply launching WinUAE twice and putting the windows side by side. This has been useful to me and has helped me clear up a few settings already.
Old 20 January 2018, 14:14   #11
Tomislav

WinUAE can use ADF, ADZ, DMS, SCP, IPF, FDI and RP9. Also HDF, HDZ and some other for hard disks.