English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2021, 20:07   #1
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Roll eyes (sarcastic) The return of Microprose - or is it.

So Microprose has appeared on the scene again, but looking at what theyre releasing and videos etc, they seem..... "tacky".

Just seems to me, someone has grabbed the name and game names, and pushing "mobile" style games out.

Which is a real shame, I'd LOVE to see a real modern version of things such as Gunship 2000 (The manual for that was insane), not just a standard shoot 'em up with the name....

Anyone else think the same ?
Old 15 March 2021, 20:46   #2
dreadnought

So far they haven't released anything yet. They have a long list of planned releases which doesn't really look that bad. At least some of them, like Sea Power, are quite promising, in the old style of complex simulations.

Of course, it's nothing like the stuff they were releasing in the glory days, but the times have changed as well - now it;s a niche market. Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out of it.
Old 15 March 2021, 23:34   #3
aeberbach

I believe they will take the original concepts and after burning through all their cash creating updated graphics and visual effects realise that what they have done is no fun because there's nothing left to make the gameplay as good as it used to be. But having spent so much they will release what they have anyway.

If they bring out faithful and FUN reproductions of XCOM, Civilization II, Master of Orion, Silent Service and Pirates!* for iPad I will eat my words, seven garden-variety crickets and a hat before cheerfully paying for all of them.

*Pirates! WAS released for iPad and it was awesome, probably the favourite game of my entire family. Then something in iOS changed and they couldn't be bothered updating the game so it did not crash. I'd pay for it all over again.
Old 16 March 2021, 10:12   #4
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
I believe they will take the original concepts and after burning through all their cash creating updated graphics and visual effects realise that what they have done is no fun because there's nothing left to make the gameplay as good as it used to be. But having spent so much they will release what they have anyway.
They don't actually make any of the games in the current line up, just act as a publisher with a legendary name. Probably don't have that much cash either, I think it's just a few people, but at least not random ones (the main guy worked in Bohemia and Stealey got involved too)

Normally it would be a recipe for disaster, but so far the announced games are at least somewhat interesting and aligned with their old status quo. If these do well maybe they can gather enough clout to develop something on their own.
Old 16 March 2021, 10:57   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean they're daring to make a Carrier Command 2 at this point, you don't make a decision like that to go for the quick cash grab.