English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 October 2015, 02:06   #1
walterg74

AMIGA CD32 - New Laser needed?

Hi Folks,

Long story short, had an Amiga CD32, sold it and bought another complete in box.

Now it seems I didn't make such a good deal, as this new one is not really reading my compilation CDs...

Well, I take that back, and this is what puzzles me and maybe you can shed some light on:

If I put a compilation disc in, it will load up just fine, disc constantly spinning, get the menu, music, etc. all good...

However, when I select a game, it doesn't load, it just sits there reading bits at a time, with the disc spinning, then stopping, then spinning, etc...

Does this probably mean I need a new laser? If so, why is it that it loads menus and stuff all fine? I would think if the laser is bad to not read CD-Rs well, it would not even read that?

Help much appreciated...

Old 03 October 2015, 13:18   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterg74 View Post
Hi Folks,

Long story short, had an Amiga CD32, sold it and bought another complete in box.

Now it seems I didn't make such a good deal, as this new one is not really reading my compilation CDs...

Well, I take that back, and this is what puzzles me and maybe you can shed some light on:

If I put a compilation disc in, it will load up just fine, disc constantly spinning, get the menu, music, etc. all good...

However, when I select a game, it doesn't load, it just sits there reading bits at a time, with the disc spinning, then stopping, then spinning, etc...

Does this probably mean I need a new laser? If so, why is it that it loads menus and stuff all fine? I would think if the laser is bad to not read CD-Rs well, it would not even read that?

Help much appreciated...
Whats it like with bought games / music cd's?
Old 03 October 2015, 19:13   #3
walterg74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Whats it like with bought games / music cd's?

Ok, update: I tried a single game cd-r (banshee) and weirdest thing, it will load up, show the language selection menu, then the intro, then the main menu, and when the game's supposed to start it just sits there. And the disc doesn't even spin at all...

Answering your question, I'm afraid I don't have any bought games yet. The closest I have to that are two of those shareware/PD collections ("Now that's what I call games" and "games & goodies"). Those load up just fine, and the games also load fine (tried a couple).
Audio CD, I just tested one, goes straight to the player, plays fine and tried skipping to tracks and they load up and play almost instantly.

Old 03 October 2015, 21:33   #4
supaduper

I too had similar probs with my CD32 not playing CDR`s, then I got some info from eab and my solution was to use these disks which work 99% of the time and also I burn them using nero 7 and my fail rate is nearly zero, here is a link for the disks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Mediar...item4aca595257

As your CD32 plays legit CD`d then I can say with certainty that your problem too lies with the type of CDr and Burning software
Old 04 October 2015, 07:19   #5
walterg74

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
I too had similar probs with my CD32 not playing CDR`s, then I got some info from eab and my solution was to use these disks which work 99% of the time and also I burn them using nero 7 and my fail rate is nearly zero, here is a link for the disks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Mediar...item4aca595257

As your CD32 plays legit CD`d then I can say with certainty that your problem too lies with the type of CDr and Burning software
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid they don't have those here (I live in south america).

This is driving me nuts... Just tried another game, Sensible Soccer (Int version). This one also boots up fine, shows me the intros, I get to the the menu, even select the teams, etc, and when I hit "play match" just goes to black screen, disc doesn't even spin at all nor does the drive try to do anything...

Old 05 October 2015, 11:45   #6
RetroPaul

My CD32 is very sensitive to CD-R's, even after replacing the laser. It will play any original just fine but i tried multiple types of CD-R's with varying beahviour, some would partially load some would just spin-up and down repeatedly and not load.

I have found a combo which now works, using on a old 8x Ricoh burner with Verbatim CD-R's.

You could try tweaing the little pot next to the laser and upping the power a touch, some have had good results from that.
Old 05 October 2015, 12:15   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPaul View Post
You could try tweaing the little pot next to the laser and upping the power a touch, some have had good results from that.
Thats what I was going to say next. After cleaning the laser. Always try cleaning lense before tweaking laser power pot.

Not sure on CD-R's, as I have never had an issue with any I have used or speeds I have burnt at. Full speed burning everytime.
Old 07 October 2015, 09:33   #8
coope1999

Yy are lucky. My CD32 just sits there spinning the disc backwards and doesn't load at all!
Old 07 October 2015, 11:22   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by coope1999 View Post
Yy are lucky. My CD32 just sits there spinning the disc backwards and doesn't load at all!
If its spinning backwards, then its a low power problem on laser.
The problem is, getting to work for CD-R's can screw it up for normal disc's.

First thing to try is cleaning the laser, as that can cause simular issue.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:24   #10
coope1999

Ironically my cdrs work better than the originals. My cd32 had something done to the power switch as it was stuck "on". Originally I had cdrom issues but that was because I didn't have the rf shield fitted. I fitted the shield and all was well but a month later my power switch became unstuck and now I get the backwards thing often on original games. I don't want to touch the laser screw as I don't think it's that.
Old 07 October 2015, 16:30   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterg74 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid they don't have those here (I live in south america).
Hey Walter,

I always used Sony CDR media without problems. I burn things using Alcohol 120% if I can, though. Sometimes even Imgburn will do. Try to burn as slow as your burner/media combination will allow you and try again.

Sometimes problems like this happen in other machines too. It could have to do with a stuffy motor spindle not picking up the speed it should normally. Try cleaning the spindle mechanism and lubricating it with a very thin oil (don't use gummy garbage like WD40). I did that to my Dreamcast after being suggested to change laser, and it worked just great.

Also try cleaning the laser head with isopropyl alcohol.

I wouldn't touch the calibration screws until the very last. You can potentially render the CD32 completely useless.

Buena suerte y tomatelo con soda
Old 08 October 2015, 13:46   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I wouldn't touch the calibration screws until the very last. You can potentially render the CD32 completely useless.
I wouldn't touch any calibration pots either, that will destroy it if you don't know what your doing.
Laser power pot is different though.
CD lasers are a bit more forgiving, if you turn them up to high. It wont damage the laser.
DVD on the other hand, it tends to burn laser out.