English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 October 2002, 12:23   #1
megajetman

ATARI ST-E versus ATARI ST-FM ?

Atari ST-E and Atari ST-FM have diferrences in their sound chips does it ?

The "ST-E" and "ST-FM" means what ?

Cheers

Old 06 October 2002, 12:28   #2
RCK
Administrator

you should post this kind of requests to LGD:
http://www.atari.st/forum/list.php?f=7
Old 06 October 2002, 12:52   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Atari

Atari STFM is the original ST, and FM stands for Frequency Modulation, i.e. you can stick it straight into a TV.

The Later STe means Enhanced.

STFm = 3 channel sound, 512 colours, little or no hardware.
STe = 4 channel sound, 4096 colours, extra hardware in the form of a barrel shifter (what we would call a blitter, only the Atari version is a joke! It can only scroll on 16pixel boundaries!!!)
Old 06 October 2002, 12:54   #4
megajetman

Whoops sorry.

I read at the Main board menu it says :

General Discussion
"Chat about the retro-gaming world in general."

So i thought here at this board category all talks about Retro gaming are appropriate,
in which Atari-ST is among those Retro gaming computers

Old 06 October 2002, 12:56   #5
megajetman

Galahad/FLT, Thanks a lot for the info !

Old 06 October 2002, 14:40   #6
RetroMan

Also to mention, that the STE can be expanded to 4 MB with normal 1 MB Simm Modules
Old 06 October 2002, 16:03   #7
Tommo

Quote:
STe = 4 channel sound, 4096 colours, extra hardware in the form of a barrel shifter (what we would call a blitter, only the Atari version is a joke! It can only scroll on 16pixel boundaries!!!)
There isn't any 16 pixel limitation on either the blitter or the hardware scrolling - that's what the skew and pixel hard scroll registers are for. Also the STe had 5 channel sound and not 4.

Old 06 October 2002, 16:04   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Well mate....

either you are right, or all the games developers I have spoken to who couldn't be bothered to code for it are wrong!
Old 06 October 2002, 18:40   #9
mtb

The Atari Ste has got the yamaha chip with 3 channels - the same of the st, plus a 2 channel ( left & right ) better chip.

I have seen an st for the first time in my life last month on internet ( no one near me has got one ), i have tried it with steem, but Paula is on another planet.
Old 07 October 2002, 01:22   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by megajetman
I read at the Main board menu it says :
General Discussion
"Chat about the retro-gaming world in general."
So i thought here at this board category all talks about Retro gaming are appropriate,
in which Atari-ST is among those Retro gaming computers
Yes, you are completely right . I just think what RCK meant is that if you post at LGD you'll get much better answers, being Atari-specific boards!
Old 27 October 2005, 06:54   #11
TjLaZer

The STFM denotes Sixteen Thirty two Floppy Modulator. I have a 1040STF which is ST Floppy as it does not have a RF Modulator!

The STE (ST Enhanced) is Atari's answer to the Amiga! :P 4096 colors and improved stereo sound. It sadly came too late.
Old 27 October 2005, 10:15   #12
Total Eclipse

There have been various models of the "original" ST - The ST (The very early model, with no TV modulator, and an external floppy drive) followed by the ST-F (internal floppy drive) and ST-FM (internal floppy drive and a TV modulator)

As TjLaZer said, the ST-E was meant to be the answer to the Amiga - like the Amiga, the ST-E had stereo sound, a palette of 4096 colours, hardware scrolling, and a blitter.

Unfortunately, some of the original ST limitations still remain - the fact that the ST's low resolution still only allowed 16 colours meant that getting the most out of that extended pallete range (by showing more than 16 colours on screen) still required coding routines to change the colour palette part way down the screen.

In addition, the ST-E's stereo sound allows playback at fixed sampling frequencies only (6.25 KHz, 12.5 KHz, 25 KHz and 50 KHz). While this means that the ST-E can generally play back better quality samples than the equivalent Amiga, playing a sample back at different frequencies than it was recorded at needs the CPU to stretch or shrink the sample data - e.g. if you sample a piano playing an "A" (440 Hz) at a 6.25 KHz sampling rate, and you then want to play it back as a "C" (approx 523 Hz), the ST-E needs to chop out slices of that sample, as it's still playing it back at 6.25KHz. AFAIK, the Amiga simply increases the playback frequency of that channel to 7.4 KHz-ish (this may be wrong - I might be misunderstanding exactly what the Amiga can do with its sound output)

Also, the ST-E's stereo output is purely a 2 channel system, so playing more than 2 samples together (for example, playing a MOD file) requires the CPU to mix the sample information together.
Old 27 October 2005, 12:47   #13
Avanze
Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
you should post this kind of requests to LGD:
http://www.atari.st/forum/list.php?f=7
The Little Green Desktop forums have been inactive for quite awhile now and the site itself, dead. I would use the Atari Forum to post for questions and answers.

http://www.atari-forum.com

Update: It seems the LGD forums are back online again, after one year of absence.

Last edited by Avanze; 27 October 2005 at 21:52.
Old 27 October 2005, 12:57   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Im pretty sure the 'ST' doesn't stand for Sixteen Thirtytwo.

I think its generally accepted that it stands for Sam Tramiel, the then President of Atari who comissioned the ST.
Old 27 October 2005, 18:21   #15
Photon

Actually, his name was Jack Tramiel.

According to this site, sixteen/thirtytwo stands for the 16-bit data bus and 32-bit address bus in the ST series.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/...asp?st=1&c=922
Old 27 October 2005, 18:53   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
According to this site, sixteen/thirtytwo stands for the 16-bit data bus and 32-bit address bus in the ST series.
68000's address bus is 24-bit.. (16MB max addressable memory)
Old 27 October 2005, 21:43   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

One of Jack Tramiels sons was the main instigator of the Atari ST... and his name was?...... Sam!
http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n10/JackTramiel.html
Old 27 October 2005, 23:50   #18
Photon

This old article from 1989 backs old-computers.com's statement up

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv4n5/the_future.html

This site, however, lists ST denoting SixTeen and TT denoting ThirtyTwo. It sounds reasonable (since the '030 is a 32-bit processor), unless Jack had another son/daughter whose name starts with T

http://www.atari7800.com/frames/docu...rticles_10.htm

I didn't get any solid hits in google results for "ST stands for Sam Tramiel", instead I got these two at the top and some more. But I didn't follow all the links, of course.

Ooh, who will bring clarity to this issue??? :P

I wanna find out, coz I'm an occasional visitor to old-computers.com and if they're wrong I'd ask them to correct any mistakes. I want the history of computing to be accurate!
Old 17 March 2006, 17:21   #19
musojon74

This will, I suppose, be of no real use since I can't think of the source! But I remember an ST mag (probably Format, since that's the main one I used to get) saying ST= 16 32 and TT = 32, 32.

Also, and I'm not the most knowledgable about this and it's been a while - didn't the ST have a somewhat crippled memory bus? It didn't allow the full 24 bit memory addressing of the 68k if I remember correctly. What was the max memory in an ST again?

Cheers, may be wrong!

Jon
Old 18 March 2006, 01:09   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Doesnt the 16-32 refer to the 68000 which has 32-bit registers but a 16-bit ALU / data bus?

Maximum RAM of an ST is 14-Mbytes. Although in practice it is 4Mbytes.

Last edited by alexh; 18 March 2006 at 01:15.