English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 November 2016, 08:00   #1
zfunk007

Having Problems Loading Second Disk

Hello everyone, I am completely new to the Amiga scene. I have been playing around in FS-UAE and quite frankly, it's been a nightmare. It's taken me quite a long time to get anything working at all. The game I am interested in first is Forgotten Worlds because I am doing a video on it and would like to capture footage of the Amiga version for comparison to the other (nine!) versions of the game.

So far I've managed to get the game working with controller support, sound and full screen (believe me, just getting it running at all took me hours for some reason). Now my problem is, no matter what I do it won't load disk 2. I have no idea why. I have 2 floppy drives selected, drive 1 has disk 1 and drive 2 has disk 2. I also put both on the media swap list. When I get to stage 2 in the game I get an "Insert Disk 2" screen and nothing happens. I tried the F12 screen and switched the disks there but nothing happens either (I've also hit every key on my controller, mouse and keyboard to no avail). I feel like I've tried just about everything. Even tried different ROMS of the game (three to be exact) with the same results.

I also tried disabling the second drive and just using disk 1 and then manually switching to disk 2 using the F12 screen but that didn't work either. Am I missing something? Super frustrated and would love some help because I'd like to try out other games as well. Thanks!

Old 23 November 2016, 10:47   #2
emufan

hiya,
yep the first steps with the amiga emulators are frustrating

well, i tested the game with this disk set.

i only have winuae, but you should find the settings also in fs-uae.

using this configuration:
Amiga 500
Kickstart 1.3 ( KS ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5 (256k) [315093-02] )
Chipset OCS
512k Chip Ram 512k Slow Fast Ram
2 floppy drives.

some more setting, which were set by default in winuae (setting may differ by name in fs-uae):
- cycle exact (full)
- approximate A500/A1200 or cycle exact

i started with level 01 ( disk #1), finished it ( thanks to the trainer )
after the dragon endmonster i get "insert disk 2" dialog
--> i had to insert 2nd disk into df0: first floppy drive.
then i simply pushed the "fire" button of my joypad and it was loading from that disk.

i hope this helps somehow.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:28   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

FS-UAE uses the WHDLoad version with the A600 config with 8mb fast mem.
Old 23 November 2016, 12:30   #4
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
whdload installation would be more troublesome (needs installed system software on a harddrive).
but the game should work also on A600 with 8MB extra ram. if i get that comment right.
one thing you should ensure, use the correct kickstart rom for the desired machine - not the aros replacment - which may be included with fs-uae aswell.
we are not allowed to share copyrighted kickstart workbench disks,
but if you are missing the correct kickstart rom, a good soul may help if you send a pm.
Old 23 November 2016, 12:41   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Only for a few games. Mostly it uses a A1200 config because it's faster (loading) and a lot of patches still need a 020 CPU as minimum.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 23 November 2016 at 12:47.
Old 23 November 2016, 15:00   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

What I meant was that scince zfunk007 has used FS-UAE then it's available as a download from the database.

Also as zfunk007 has tried using FS-UAE then he should have the required KS roms.
Old 23 November 2016, 20:15   #7
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfunk007 View Post
Even tried different ROMS of the game (three to be exact) with the same results.
Maybe you have used wrong disk images!?
For example, you cant use disk 2 of VF version if you have started with Disk 1 of the Band version.
Not enough information about used disks(crc32 is always useful)!
Old 24 November 2016, 06:19   #8
zfunk007

Thank you for the tip emufan! You solved my problem. Although the problem was apparently the disk set I was using. Once I used the one you gave me (with that wonderful cheat I might add) I followed your instructions and it worked great. I was even able to get it working using the A1200 which was much faster. And after I beat stage 2 it asked for disk 2, I swapped it and it loaded right up!

Much appreciated on the advice everyone!