English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 November 2007, 21:18   #1
Bolch

Elf (OCEAN) problem

I'm stuck on the second level of Elf (the Ruins). I already found and gave the flute to the caged guy, and - according to the walkthrough - I should now free him with a larger key which is supposedly found "outside, to the right". I cannot find this key anywhere, however, though I wandered this level for hours. Could anyone show me a map or tell me where could I find this key?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08 November 2007, 22:59   #2
Bolch

Okay, I found it finally... Well, it wasn't exactly "to the right", but it doesn't matter now.

I completed the second level - only to watch the program crash at the beginning of the third. All versions so far.

Heh, it looks like fate doesn't want me to complete this game, after all...

Last edited by Bolch; 08 November 2007 at 23:49.
Old 09 November 2007, 09:27   #3
-Rob-

I've uploaded another version to The Zone, try if it works better for you. It also got level skipper.

Old 09 November 2007, 11:12   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

-Rob- is still alive? Nice to read you.
Old 10 November 2007, 15:05   #5
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Yep, I hope one day we'll see a new wonderfull FLASHTRO trainer...
Old 10 November 2007, 23:15   #6
Bolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rob- View Post
I've uploaded another version to The Zone, try if it works better for you. It also got level skipper.
Yes, it works indeed! I just finished the whole game with your version and it's flawless. Thank you very much!

I must also tell that I'm constantly amazed by this awesome community. I was - and am - a member on many different boards, but I never found this quantity of selfless helpfulness anywhere else. Since I rediscovered the Amiga (and thus my childhood), I asked for help many times on many different subjects and almost always got it immidiately. This helpfulness extends to almost unbelievable levels (beyond useful advices, links etc, I more than once witnessed that a working cracked version was made for games on request (f.e. Hook)). I'm beginning to feel that many members are disguised djinns.

It's good to be here.

Thanks again, Rob!
Old 10 November 2007, 23:33   #7
-Rob-

Sure, glad it worked.

Old 16 November 2007, 23:19   #8
MethodGit

Speaking of Elf, it's rather aggravating to discover that the solution bundled with the WHDLoad install conspicuously misses out Level 6 altogether. And I recall getting really stuck on that level at one point, being too forgetful to remember how I originally beat it all those years ago. Googling didn't help much either.

Anyone know if a more complete solution for the game exists?
Old 16 November 2007, 23:53   #9
Bolch

I didn't find any walkthrough, so I had to figure out level six myself. It was quite straightforward (give the earmuffs to the waiting eskimo, use the blowtorch on the iceblock, attack the wizard with the spell, give the wheels to the old man etc.), but there were two tricky parts:

1. There are some screens which you can only reach with the flying machine. So buy it as soon as you can, than systematically explore the whole map, noting the "NPCs" and picking up objects.
2. If you give your gifts to the Ice King, he will give you an icicle. Then you must attack the waiting eskimo with the icicle to get a vital object from him! (It was perhaps the most unfair puzzle in the game, since the eskimo already helped me and there was absolutely no clue that I have to go back to him again and attack him without any reason...)

All in all, it was a nice game, quite huge and complex for a "simple" platformer. Also, it's a nice touch that you could get three different endings, depending on whether you saved your love or not and how many "cute" creatures you killed during the game...
Old 17 November 2007, 14:42   #10
Dan

Is the game doable without cheating ? ^^;
Old 17 November 2007, 15:13   #11
Bolch

Well, I didn't use a trainer, but I DID use savestates to finish it. (Not because it was that difficult, simply out of laziness...) It's possible to finish it wihout cheating, since you can buy the most powerful weapons even on the first level, there are plenty of extra lives or energy that you can buy, collect or get (after every 100.000 points or so), plus you can save the game after each level. So it's playable.

The most difficult part of the game is that you must differentiate between the "cute" creatures and the enemies and you should try to kill as few cuties as possible. (If you kill too much of them, you will get a very ugly ending instead of the happy one...) But don't let it dishearten you, you have to kill hundreds of cuties for the bad ending...

Last edited by Bolch; 17 November 2007 at 15:18.
Old 19 November 2007, 12:54   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

grrr, I get stuck in the swamp world even (world #3) At one point I can't continue and I don't know how to manipulate the switches to get further. If anyone can show me where to get the solution to the first five worlds I would be grateful!
Old 19 November 2007, 17:08   #13
Bolch

Here it is:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=h...php%3Fid%3D545
Old 22 November 2007, 02:26   #14
MethodGit

Gah, it's the same cursed walkthrough that skips from level five to seven for no inexplicable reason.
Old 05 April 2011, 20:53   #15
UkeMonkey

I've just rediscovered Elf, which I've been enjoying immensely, but I'm stuck too.

After getting stuck on the second level, and scouring the entire area trying to figure out what to do, I resorted to checking the walkthrough which instructed me to:
"travel to the oil well and fill up the oil can lying on the left
of the map."

I'm beginning to suspect that some sort of glitch might have occured, because I'm not seeing an oil can anywhere :/

If by "map" it means the current screen, then it's not there. If it means at the left of the entire level, then I'm not finding it there either.

Old 21 February 2012, 11:31   #16
Phantom
Adventurer

I encountered an error using Elf (Ocean) with WhdLoad.

One level four, when you give the gold idol to the indian chief leader the game quits back to Workbench with an Illegal instruction error.

Anyone experienced this?
Old 05 November 2012, 19:25   #17
mai

Is someting known about any issue in Level 3 of the "CPY" release?
Old 19 March 2013, 16:36   #18
Pootas1985

Hi.Can someone upload working version of the Elf to The Zone?
All the versions that I downloaded are corrupted(crash at the beggining of level 3) ;(
Pretty please

Old 11 December 2014, 10:43   #19
Juless

I have completed this game many times many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is the game doable without cheating ? ^^;
I used to own a copy of this game and I played it on my Amiga many many times. It is doable as it has a save option at each level you can save from F1 across to F7 and load them at opening sequence.
My original disks crashed and I sent them back to Ocean but never received a replacement as game was out of production by then. LOL
Trying to find a complete Amiga Disk File adf at the moment. All the copies I have found crash at the beginning of the water ways one.

Old 11 December 2014, 11:30   #20
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Try the Flashtro version in the Zone.