English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 06:59   #1
Foebane
Banned

Angry Video Game Nerd TRASHES the Amiga CD32!!

[ Show youtube player ]

And as far as I can see, the legendary, classic Amiga platform itself. I don't know, and I don't care, if he's covered the Amiga before, but he's earned an unsub from me, even if I were subbed, which I'm not.

What do you think of this HERESY? This BLASPHEMY?
Old 21 November 2018, 07:23   #2
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
And as far as I can see, the legendary, classic Amiga platform itself.
Did you actually watch the video?

Quote:
What do you think of this HERESY? This BLASPHEMY?
That the sad truth is that a games console is only as good as it's games, and in that regard the CD32 was a large failure.
Old 21 November 2018, 08:15   #3
Gzegzolka

Huh, no Akira in AVGN video?

I except nothing more from angry video game neerd.
This is what his show is about, pick bad games, play them, swear and point why they are bad.
Sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong by mile with his lack of knowledge.
I know he would pick just like GameSack some of the worst / most average games.
I also used to like his show and watch it a lot but it was years ago.
Time have passed, I love emulation and I discover many hidden gems on different systems so I have learned to appreciate many different consoles and computers for what they are.

I wonder could we have a good professional show about Amiga with actually collection of good games?
Old 21 November 2018, 08:32   #4
sokolovic

Well, it's a bit odd to judge the entire console just with some of it poorest games. But this is probably the point of the AVGN.
Old 21 November 2018, 08:35   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am not surprised

Actually, I agree with almost everything he said in that video. The only thing that I think is not the fault is jumping using the UP button. This was just one of two philosophies - home computers used up, game consoles used a button. CD32 is a home computer in console body.
Old 21 November 2018, 08:45   #6
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I see a market for customized half gallon paint cans to put over the lid :P
Old 21 November 2018, 08:50   #7
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I wouldn't get too butt hurt from it, it's AVGN, and well...I'd have a MegaDrive, SNES, PC Engine over the CD32 any day of the week.

But I'd have an Amiga too for the Amiga games catalogue as a whole. Which I do Although I only have Virocop, Populous II, The Settlers and Rainbow Islands on rotation at the moment (the first three I have installed to hard disk in lieu of setting up WHD Load)

(That said, AVGN character isn't really my sense of humour, he's kinda funny sometimes, but then it gets a bit too purile for my tastes. But hey ho we're all different)
Old 21 November 2018, 09:32   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It was a fun video, agreed with a lot of it.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:15   #9
Foebane
Banned

OK, now I've calmed down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Did you actually watch the video?

That the sad truth is that a games console is only as good as it's games, and in that regard the CD32 was a large failure.
Well, he used a neutral, almost respectful tone when recounting Commodore's history among it's competitors, and then turned angry when he showed the CD32 itself, as if he was blaming it for Commodore's collapse... when it really wasn't quite that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am not surprised

Actually, I agree with almost everything he said in that video. The only thing that I think is not the fault is jumping using the UP button. This was just one of two philosophies - home computers used up, game consoles used a button. CD32 is a home computer in console body.
The AVGN acted like that was a bad thing, yet he's played the 2600 which was the same 1-button method. Maybe he's wondering why, if it's got so many buttons, why weren't they used in the games? Didn't he know a lot of the games were just ports from regular A1200 and even A500 titles? Did he do his research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I see a market for customized half gallon paint cans to put over the lid :P
Just because the CD mechanism was faulty, he chooses to make a joke out of it. Isn't he supposed to respect retro hardware, even if it's aged and gone faulty? Then again, he did burn a Sega 32X years ago - perhaps it was a broken one, but he still did it.

As for actually chucking the CD32 in his trash dumpster, I hope he really didn't do that. After seeing another series of YouTube videos in which some other retro collector lovingly brought a CD32 back to life with extensive cleaning and replacing of parts for his Retro Man Cave, then that's a sad indictment on the AVGN for being so disrespectful towards ANY retro hardware, even if it's the Sega 32X or the Nintendo Virtual Boy or any other system seen as AWFUL.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:23   #10
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I wouldn't really watch AVGN for respectful videos

GameSack did a fairly even handed review of the CD32 and some of its library a couple of years back and the skit at the end is LOL worthy.

As for Kang-Fu, that looked worse than the reviews even. What an utter pile of pish.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:24   #11
britelite

Quote:
Didn't he know a lot of the games were just ports from regular A1200 and even A500 titles? Did he do his research?
He probably did, but you do know he's playing a character, right? And considering this is a console, the games should've been adapted to it. A regular customer shouldn't need to care where games came from originally.

Quote:
Isn't he supposed to respect retro hardware, even if it's aged and gone faulty?
Why should he?

Quote:
After seeing another series of YouTube videos in which some other retro collector lovingly brought a CD32 back to life with extensive cleaning and replacing of parts for his Retro Man Cave, then that's a sad indictment on the AVGN for being so disrespectful towards ANY retro hardware, even if it's the Sega 32X or the Nintendo Virtual Boy or any other system seen as AWFUL.
Apples to oranges comparison. One is about restoration of old hardware, and the other one is just trying to be entertainment. You do understand the difference, right?
Old 21 November 2018, 10:30   #12
fryguy

There weren't many good games on the CD32 and most of them were just the floppyversion put on a CD (there were some exceptions like BASS and Simon though).
Old 21 November 2018, 10:41   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Didn't he know a lot of the games were just ports from regular A1200 and even A500 titles? Did he do his research?
Why should he? He wanted to play games, not study history of lazy adaptations.

Quote:
Just because the CD mechanism was faulty, he chooses to make a joke out of it. Isn't he supposed to respect retro hardware, even if it's aged and gone faulty?
Again, why should he? The CD32 lid is shitty made, I also had to put a heavy book on it to get it working, and it was almost NEW! Come on... My megadrive mk1 is super durable in coparison to fragile CD32.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:42   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
He probably did, but you do know he's playing a character, right? And considering this is a console, the games should've been adapted to it. A regular customer shouldn't need to care where games came from originally.
Exactly. It was sheer laziness to stick old A500 games on a CD essentially unmodified, and try to pass them off as some sort of next-gen wonder. A waste of the machine's capabilities in many areas, not just the controller's use. Up for jump is a god-awful convention that is only just about acceptable when you've got a joystick with only one button. With a D-pad (especially one as poor as the CD32's) it's horrible and pointless, and had been left behind by console makers almost a decade before the CD32 came out.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:47   #15
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
There weren't many good games on the CD32 and most of them were just the floppyversion put on a CD (there were some exceptions like BASS and Simon though).
There is loads of good games! The CD32 is an Amiga, of course alot of disk games would be ported across, imagine if no disk games got ported and then the machine failed without software, people would be asking why didn’t they at least get some floppy games ported for the first year!?

Who cared if it was the floppy version? A good game is a good game regardless of where it came from and ended on.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:52   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The CD32 was an OK machine, but it had too many OK or less than OK games on it.

It was guilty of the same problem as the Atari ST..... lazy ports.

A lot of the stuff on there, the only difference was they binned custom loaders (on the whole) and used AmigaDOS to load files instead.

Big whoop!

Sure, its a bit irritating that he seems to have a collection of some of the absolute worst dreck that was ever released on the CD32, but most of that dreck was given with the CD32 when it was first released, so he probably didn't even have to go out of his way to find himself with Dangerous Streets and Surf Ninjas!!

He is entirely wrong about the CD32 being responsible for sinking Commodore as it was selling quite well, but we all know it was living on borrowed time until the Playstation came out and killed everything.

But the fact is, it was too easy for developers to port across barely unchanged A500 and A1200 games to the CD32 with barely a concession to improving them.

And when you consider that Commodore released the CDTV which even today is still an epic looking machine, the aesthetics of the CD32 are bloody awful.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:16   #17
Foebane
Banned

The thing that really bothers me is that AVGN claimed to cover every platform in existence, including the Amiga (in his original full-length song) but as far as I know, the CD32 is actually the first thing Amiga he's actually covered. Or am I wrong? And he bashes it.

Britelite, you're right. I guess I overreacted. I used to watch the AVGN all the time and didn't mind him bashing bad games on other platforms, but I guess I've been seeing the CD32 in rose-tinted spectacles lately, even though I never had one myself.

Predseda, I did not know that. I have to admit, the CD mechanism does look weak, and as far as I can see, unlike the PSX, the CD doesn't even clip onto the central spindle.

Daedalus, you're right, too. Commodore basically tried to jump onto the console bandwagon, missed, and fell flat on its face in the dirt, fatally.

I was happy with my A1200, but if I had a console from that time, it would've been the SNES. It looked technically superior to the Megadrive, and I liked the look of the graphics and sounds.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:21   #18
britelite

Quote:
And he bashes it.
Which kind of is his thing

But really, he's mainly focused on consoles, so it makes sense that he covered the CD32.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:30   #19
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It was a fun video [...]
For sure ! . Some of the commentaries are really funny.

Even if he is going to far the other way (wilfully), he is not so wrong with the tested games. There are other that are good... maybe in the second part as it ends with a "to be continued..."

He is wrong, however, that this is what made C= bankrupt and that this console is bad. Not enough difference with a classic Amiga, yes, but not bad at all for sure for that time.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:37   #20
Gordon
Settler

Hes an actor so take anything he says with a pinch of salt. If you gave him perfection he would find a scratch on it.

The CD32 is a wonderful machine with so many ways to use and play it, then and now. The good games outweigh the bad just like the MD and SNES. Im sure they have their kang fu's too.