English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 02 February 2016, 16:24   #1
nocash

Calling OS Functions?

How are OS Functions called on Amiga? I've found a bunch of webpages that are describing the OS functions, but not how to actually invoke them. I would guess that there might be some function table in ROM or RAM, to be called via JSR opcodes? Or is that stuff done via TRAP opcodes or whatever?

For example, what exactly is happening inside of this source code,
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=936606&postcount=2 ?

Can somebody point me to a good place for downloading those include .i files? And/or some text document that describes the OS functions from low-level view (so one wouldn't need to deal with .i files at all)?

What are those CALLDOS, CALLEXEC, CALLINT macros/pseudo instructions doing? Are they defined in one of the .i files?

And, that will probably sound stupid: Where is that OS located at all? I am currently only owning an Amiga with 4 game discs, but without workbench disk. So I am not even sure if I'm already having an amiga OS or not.
I know that my amiga is having that 256Kbyte kernel ROM, but I've no idea if that ROM is containing a fully-fledged OS, or if it's merely containing some basic low-level stuff (eg. like IBM/PC BIOSes, which are merely allowing to access discs by track/side/sector numbers, but not by filenames).
Ie. is the workbench disk some required part of the OS, or is it just containing a collection of optional utilities (like a text editor and a file manager)?
Old 02 February 2016, 17:41   #2
alkis

Library calls are offsets (negative numbers) on the library base. Library base of the library call you'd like to make must be at register a6. Library base is a pointer that gets returned from Exec's OpenLibrary call. How do you get ExecBase though? You get it from a fixed position $0000 0004.

Most of the core libraries live in ROM. So, in your line of thought, the workbench disks contain mainly "user-land" programs. There are a few exceptions of libraries that would probably should be considered core-OS, like asl.library or math*.library(ies).

The CALLINT, CALLDOS are macros and defined in the OS's *.i files (inlucde files for assembly).

For example, CALLINT does the following
Code:
CALLINT MACRO
        move.l  _IntuitionBase,a6
        jsr     _LVO\1(a6)
        ENDM
The usual is to open all libraries at your program startup, you store all the library bases pointers (in the intuition's case you store it to _IntuitionBase) and then whenever you need to call a library function, you load a6 with the library base and call the function. At the end of your program, you should close all libraries you Open'ed.

Function is a negative offset on a6, for example OpenScreen is
Code:
_LVOOpenScreen  EQU     -198
Something like that.
Old 02 February 2016, 18:19   #3
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocash View Post
Can somebody point me to a good place for downloading those include .i files? And/or some text document that describes the OS functions from low-level view (so one wouldn't need to deal with .i files at all)?
AmigaOS 3.9 NDK: http://www.haage-partner.de/download/AmigaOS/NDK39.lha
System call include: LVOs.zip
Os documentation: http://amigadev.elowar.com/

The NDK contains all include files for assembly language and C. System call include is just the plain LVOs for assembly language. NDK is for everything up to AOS 3.9, and the documentation for everything up to AOS 3.5. The NDK also contains documentation, but the website is more extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocash View Post
Where is that OS located at all?
In ROM and on-disk. The ROM part is the kernel, some graphics routines, dos, the gui, and some other things (this is basically a complete, but basic OS). The disk part contains extra libraries, utilities, command line commands, etc, etc.
Old 02 February 2016, 20:53   #4
nocash

Many thanks for the replies and links!

CALLINT looks like provoking jokes about intuitive function naming (I was assuming that it would stand for "integer call"). Anyways, I've now got the overall idea how to call OS functions.

For the documentation of the actual functions, the elowar page seems to consist of hundreds of small text snippets (which is a bit hard to read/navigate). The "Autodocs" folder in the NDK package looks a bit more inviting to me. It's quite a bunch of stuff though : - / maybe I'll better focus on trying to emulate the hardware, and ignore the OS part for now.
Old 02 February 2016, 22:40   #5
woop

You do not need those LVO-Includes: the LVOs can be linked in from amiga.lib or small.lib.
This is what a HelloWorld.asm looks like which must be linked against amiga.lib/small.lib

Code:
    XDEF    _main
    XDEF    _SysBase
    XDEF    _DOSBase

XREF    _AbsExecBase

XREF    _LVOOpenLibrary
    XREF    _LVOCloseLibrary

XREF    _LVOOutput
    XREF    _LVOWrite

include "dos/dos.i"

_main:
    ; store SysBase
    movea.l    _AbsExecBase,a6
    move.l    a6,_SysBase

; open dos.library
    lea        DOSName,a1
    moveq    #LIBRARY_MINIMUM,d0
    movea.l    _SysBase,a6
    jsr        _LVOOpenLibrary(a6)
    move.l    d0,_DOSBase
    beq        .fail

; fetch stdout to d1
    movea.l    _DOSBase,a6
    jsr        _LVOOutput(a6)
    move.l    d0,d1

; say hello
    move.l    #Hello,d2
    moveq    #HelloLen,d3
    movea.l    _DOSBase,a6
    jsr        _LVOWrite(a6)

; close dos.library
    movea.l    _DOSBase,a1
    movea.l    _SysBase,a6
    jsr        _LVOCloseLibrary(a6)
    clr.l    _DOSBase

.ok:
    moveq    #RETURN_OK,d0
    rts

.fail:
    moveq    #RETURN_FAIL,d0
    rts

cnop    0,4

_SysBase:
    dc.l    0
_DOSBase:
    dc.l    0

Hello:
    dc.b    'Hello World!',10
HelloLen    equ    *-Hello

DOSName:
    DOSNAME

end
Old 03 February 2016, 09:27   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by woop View Post
You do not need those LVO-Includes: the LVOs can be linked in from amiga.lib or small.lib.
Yeah, but they're much handier. No linking, just one include. Much easier.