English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 July 2012, 17:21   #1
lee t

2 meg SRAM card

Hi guys,

Would a 2 meg SRAM card in my standerd a1200 be enough to get all whdload games working? Been offers one for 20 notes so would seem a good way to upgrade my 2meg Amiga.

Thanks

Lee
Old 27 July 2012, 17:36   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi, it will work and will help many games to work but in most cases will actually slow your A1200 down.

My advice would be to double that money and grab yourself an 8mb Trapdoor Ram card, there are a few on Amibay and even a cheap one on eBay (at least there was yesterday for £45 which was a DKB 1202 with 4mb you can upgrade to 8mb) But maybe that's sold already!

With 8mb you're covered for the majority of games and you will get a little speed boost too

Good luck,

Steve.

ps. with just 2mb Chip and 2mb Fast most multi disk/AGA games will keep stopping to load which can be annoying.

I would only use 2mb SRAM on an A600 where it will make a nice little ECS Gaming machine
Old 27 July 2012, 17:50   #3
lee t

Thanks Steve big help
Old 27 July 2012, 18:02   #4
Allen1

Take a look at this http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65087

Our new ACA1220 is powered by a full 16,67MHz 68020. For the A1200, this card can be considered a 128MByte-RAM expansion, but for the A500 with ACA500, this board is a turbo-tidbit that provides more memory than has ever been offered at this price: The ACA1220 will be available starting from 89,90 EUR.

Now that's more like it
Old 29 July 2012, 03:54   #5
Mr B

Bloody hell. 128MB? Craptastic. No, don't get me wrong, but it sort of feels like killing ants with nukes. Anyways, the price for that amount of memory is next to fantastic, i'd just wish it was paired of with a CPU that was an actual upgrade for a A1200. It's clearly aimed more at the A500, where it provides a nice speed-boost along with the increased memory.
Old 29 July 2012, 19:06   #6
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
It's clearly aimed more at the A500, where it provides a nice speed-boost along with the increased memory.
I think it's seriously dually aimed...
Yes, at the A500 as an upgrade for his board there..

But also, for all the people who want to play WHDLoad games on their 1200's and are paying as much are more for 4M or 8M boards.

For me (although I love my ACA1230/28), the BIG BOOST was my 8M RAM board. Just having more memory was HUGE in changing my 1200 experience..
I'm guessing that's what most 1200 owners want...

Now, a faster CPU is always nice.. ;-) Don't get me wrong..

If this were out when I got my 1200, I would have got this over the 8M card.

And I "might" have picked this up over the ACA...
Cost/benefits... It's a tough call..

desiv
Old 29 July 2012, 19:14   #7
Mr B

Oh, i agree, a lot of users will see this as a cheap memory upgrade. Well, "cheap".
But the fact is 128MB is so much over the top for WHDLoads it's a joke. I'm guessing Jens couldn't source smaller memory at a good price, but still...
Old 29 July 2012, 20:18   #8
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
... I'm guessing Jens couldn't source smaller memory at a good price, but still...
You'll probably see 256M boards with a higher price tag eventually. All those venues will be exploited before finally putting a small SO-DIMM socket that costs a penny on the board, but which allows to increase the price even more by introducing a drum roll and saying you can now expand your A1200 to 1G of RAM. The 128M on this board is not about finding the right memory chips, but about finding ways of profiting more.
Old 29 July 2012, 20:23   #9
Mr B

Jens already said socketed memory is highly unlikely, due to not only performance, but mainly reliability issues. He's got to support what he makes, and supporting a single card, with handpicked memory is a lot easier then a single card with a few thousand different memory-modules.
Old 29 July 2012, 20:34   #10
Leffmann

You know, sometimes I think you're just Jens Schoenfeldt posting on a fake account
Old 29 July 2012, 20:59   #11
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
YThe 128M on this board is not about finding the right memory chips, but about finding ways of profiting more.
So, you're saying that a businessman is making a product with the sole intention of making money????

Hmmm..

Where did you come up with that crazy theory??

:-)

desiv
Old 29 July 2012, 23:54   #12
Leffmann

If you can joke about it like that then I guess you just don't see it. To keep it short: it's the absolute shrewdness with how it's done that doesn't sit right with me, and that it's not for a target market of screaming hungry consumers, but to a small community of real fans and nostalgics.
Old 30 July 2012, 00:56   #13
desiv

Quote:
If you can joke about it like that then I guess you just don't see it.
No I see it..
And it's not that "shrewd" and I'm not that smart; Jens has talked about before... ;-)
He's mentioned numerous times that he makes products to help sell his other products..

It doesn't bother me at all tho...

He's a smart guy; it's a smart thing to do; it helps us as Amiga fans..

That's a Win Win..

desiv
Old 30 July 2012, 19:42   #14
Mr B

Quote:
You know, sometimes I think you're just Jens Schoenfeldt posting on a fake account
Ssssh. Don't tell everyone.

No. Thats not it. I'm from sweden, cant read but a few words in german, and i'm nowhere near as tech savy as Jens.

Quote:
If you can joke about it like that then I guess you just don't see it. To keep it short: it's the absolute shrewdness with how it's done that doesn't sit right with me, and that it's not for a target market of screaming hungry consumers, but to a small community of real fans and nostalgics.
I actually think your wrong. Jens seams to try and provide as affordable hardware as he can, and the switch to 128MB for a slower accelerator to me sounds like sourcing issues. If 128MB is cheaper then 64MB, then get it, and use it. It's that simple, if you ask me. Even if i doubt most users ever would need more then the first 24MB or so, paying a much higher price for a 32MB module is just insane.