English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2016, 17:47   #21
EugeneNine

I assumed he meant to say workbench

I somewhat remember laughing at the early versions of (MS) windows but I don't recall the versions.

I'll start another thread on mine later so I'm not hijacking some else's and add in some pics I took along the way
Old 24 August 2016, 19:15   #22
Pheonix

Yes, they were both supposed to be Workbench, not Windows.... I don't know what happened there. I know I typed Workbench
Old 24 August 2016, 19:30   #23
Pheonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
I was wondering the same thing, I know there is such a thing as Windows 2.1, but I didn't know there was a Windows 1.3.

Anyway, in all seriousness, great work getting it going again my friend, bet you're happy to have it back up and running?
I started with Windows 3.0, just before 3.1 came out, but from some research I did for a tech class, there was never a 1.3. The closest would be 1.03 I guess. if you look Here you will see the version history. I've already pointed out that there is a 3.0 and 3.1 to match Workbench 3.0 & 3.1. If you include Windows NT in the mix, there is even a 3.5 Now, IMHO, Workbench is much better than Windows, but on a PC you weren't given much choice for a GUI
Old 24 August 2016, 21:20   #24
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I've always thought that Workbench1.3 was more of a match with Windows3.1. They're both hard work.
Old 24 August 2016, 21:50   #25
Pheonix

I was just going by version numbers. To me, comparing versions by appearance and/or functionality just isn't really possible. They're like apples and oranges. Both fruits, but totally different in taste & texture. I've actually always preferred Workbench over Windows. But with a PC, you're really not left with much of a choice. I once, years ago, came across a project to make Windows more like Workbench, but apparently it never went any where, can't find it any more
Old 24 August 2016, 23:49   #26
EugeneNine

Speaking of Amiga for the PC, I just ran across this http://xwinman.org/amiwm.php

By PC I mean x86 hardware not an overpriced closed minded OS sold by company in Redmond.

I have an Amiga theme for KDE but might just have to replace the whole window manager.
Old 05 September 2016, 12:37   #27
Codetsu

nice that you trace your issue and get your A2000 runig a againg 7o7

when you blow your Psu check your RTC
i have blow 3 PSU and last one kill one I/O RTC and clock start to work strange
(right side if i remember correctly)
and wait command start to act random times

ever nothing else have broken on the board when PSU blow or i just chance them before real damage started to happen (crossed fingers)

my A2000 is on 24/7 so it helps to see if something start to go wrong
Old 06 September 2016, 00:51   #28
Pheonix

The RTC battery causing it is actually more likely than most. The motherboard I just replaced was also a replacement when my first A2000's battery decided to leak all over the board. That board was pretty much a lost cause. It had been placed in storage when it happened, and the acid had dribbled all the way to the back of the board (it wasn't level.)

When I replaced it the first time, the first thing I did was yank the battery, make sure of the polarity, then mount a 4-pin connector on it with the outer 2 pins connected together & the inner 2 connected. The battery I chose (electrically identical to the one removed,) was the type used in early PC's. Sealed in a fairly large case with a 4 pin connecter that only used one outer & one inner. I figured, that as long as you placed the connector so that all the pins were used, you couldn't get the polarity reversed.

It seemed to work just fine, so I assumed I had done everything right. It's possible, I guess, that the battery wasn't as compatible as it was supposed to be. It's also possible that at some point I "did" manage to get it hooked up backwards (will that damage the PSU?) Going to need to look into this further.