English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 August 2018, 12:36   #1
Hewitson

Games modified by crackers

I realise most people hate it when crackers modify text in games, but I always thought it was cool. Here's a couple to start with:

Speedball 2: "Crystal Cracked" in intro.

Final Fight: "Cracked by Quartex" in title screen.

Last edited by Hewitson; 18 August 2018 at 13:05.
Old 18 August 2018, 12:48   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Gods:

"Crystal" .. "Cracked" ... "A Bitmap Brothers Game" (instead of "Renegade presents")

I'm not a big fan either and I used to put the original text back on my cracked copies (still doing it sometimes in whdload when cracked copies are supported and they include modified text)

What is better is when they change "disk format/protection by xxxx" by "cracked by yyyyy", since the protection/format has been removed now
Old 18 August 2018, 13:17   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I realise most people hate it when crackers modify text in games, but I always thought it was cool.
Personally I hate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I'm not a big fan either and I used to put the original text back on my cracked copies (still doing it sometimes in whdload when cracked copies are supported and they include modified text)
Yeah me too when I can

Some of the worst examples of butchery are as follows:

a) Legends of Valour
b) Ziriax

See this thread Cracked games missing stuff... and my post.
Old 18 August 2018, 13:52   #4
Hewitson

Wow... Those releases really are lame. I don't agree with modifying the graphics and I am surprised that a group like FLT would do such a thing.
Old 18 August 2018, 15:25   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Texts are something, they might eventually be fixed later, but sometimes whole parts (like intro or some menu) are missing.
Old 18 August 2018, 15:43   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Do not tell me I'm bad, sometimes you do it for fun, I am not a programmer but in the past where it was possible to edit the text with a hexadecimal editor, "in my personal games" added my name to my two children but only for fun (practice that made me gain more experiences in AmigaOS).
An example in Another Word where the protagonist when logging into the computer made the name of one of my children come out, or I used it to translate texts so as to facilitate the use of the game.
Old 27 August 2018, 23:29   #7
jarre

grand prix circuit from accolade

nice reading here, but not all agreed, i go back to the release of grand prix circuit, from accolade...bamiga (eric) was out of crackers and asked us to join Bamiga, he gave us grand prix circuit and told us to take it easy and come back with a good crack, he got the game 6 weeks before release and told us to wait releasing till he told us to get it out to just a limited friends in the scene. He also asked to put inside the game it was cracked by bamiga sector one / cybertech, in the intro we could say it was cracked by switch. Because he was affraid someone just remove the intro and release it as cracked by..... (this had to do with the very early getting the original, and eric wants to release it before anyone else)
But as we didn't official belong to Bamiga we decided to also put inside the game "Done by switch" and also put it in the intro as cracked by switch, now you can think it is Childish behavior, but back then it was a kind off status..
when started spreading it went to the us bbs ran by brent, and he should only give it to a few persons, meanwhile we made the post packages to the friends...and see what was happen, lots of releases of this game with intro removed and add other intro with things like imported by..and so on, so sometimes it was maybe nessosary to get the fame, it took me alot of time to crack this one by then because it was written in some kinda weird language (as i remember). This resulted in what i that my crack is the only avalible. Anyway the scene was in the early days much different from what is is now..So this maybe puts another light on why sometimes ingame text was changed...

Gr. from Jarre/Switch

Last edited by jarre; 18 November 2020 at 13:11.
Old 27 August 2018, 23:47   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Because he was affraid someone just remove the intro and release it as cracked by.
This could have been easily "fixed" by just using the intro to execute the crack patch for the game. Intro removed -> game doesn't work anymore.

Quote:
it took me alot of time to crack this one by then because it was written in some kinda weird language (as i remember).
Game is coded in C which isn't a weird language at all. It also uses overlay hunks which most likely were the main reason why it took you a while to crack.
Old 28 August 2018, 08:47   #9
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
This could have been easily "fixed" by just using the intro to execute the crack patch for the game. Intro removed -> game doesn't work anymore.
Game is coded in C which isn't a weird language at all. It also uses overlay hunks which most likely were the main reason why it took you a while to crack.
By then we where not able to get it to work for this titel, as you allready say it wasn't easy to put the crack in the code anywayz...

Last edited by jarre; 28 August 2018 at 08:54.
Old 28 August 2018, 10:26   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

My own view is.... if you don't like what crackers did to games, you could always just go buy them!

I mean, if it irritated you enough that you played the game regularly to get irritated by it, then you kinda owed it to the developer to buy it, because no-one gets irritated about cracker messages in a game they don't play.
Old 28 August 2018, 10:32   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
My own view is.... if you don't like what crackers did to games, you could always just go buy them!

I mean, if it irritated you enough that you played the game regularly to get irritated by it, then you kinda owed it to the developer to buy it, because no-one gets irritated about cracker messages in a game they don't play.
This was valid back in the past and frankly i didn't care at all. But now, when buying isn't in some cases a valid option because the game is simply not available anymore ?
Old 28 August 2018, 11:09   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
This was valid back in the past and frankly i didn't care at all. But now, when buying isn't in some cases a valid option because the game is simply not available anymore ?
I have no clue whatsoever why people buy old games when WHDLoad and IPF's are so common place.

Buying to preserve is one thing, buying because someone didn't like it saying "Broken by QUARTEX" is entirely meh to me.
Old 28 August 2018, 11:53   #13
ross
Defendit numerus

"A game worth playing is a game worth buying"
Old 28 August 2018, 13:19   #14
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I have no clue whatsoever why people buy old games when WHDLoad and IPF's are so common place.

Buying to preserve is one thing, buying because someone didn't like it saying "Broken by QUARTEX" is entirely meh to me.
Stuntcar Racer from QTX
Menace from Ackerlight

Both hacked a bit but I'm really not fussed

Now G, tell us why the South West is crap??
Old 28 August 2018, 13:24   #15
WayneK

When we ran a console group ("Capital", on the Gameboy Color mainly), we constantly received complaints about adding intros to releases... my favourite two were "it takes too long to get to the game" (literally hold start and you would see the screen flash after 0.02 seconds and the game would begin), and "it alters the checksum of the ROM" (damn, sorry, that probably completely ruined the gameplay for you, I apologise).

After some weeks of this, I decided to include an IPS Patch file with every release to restore the game to it's original condition, removing the intro... however I called it "IAMLAME.IPS", so that anyone who applied it had to admit their lameness :P
Old 29 August 2018, 23:20   #16
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
When we ran a console group ("Capital", on the Gameboy Color mainly), we constantly received complaints about adding intros to releases... my favourite two were "it takes too long to get to the game" (literally hold start and you would see the screen flash after 0.02 seconds and the game would begin), and "it alters the checksum of the ROM" (damn, sorry, that probably completely ruined the gameplay for you, I apologise).

After some weeks of this, I decided to include an IPS Patch file with every release to restore the game to it's original condition, removing the intro... however I called it "IAMLAME.IPS", so that anyone who applied it had to admit their lameness :P
Same here when i was in Magical, releasing and fixing megadrive and snes games, there was always comments on the intros, but meanwile they leeched and played the games, and by that time it was very normal and cool to add intro's or use ingame text to show who released the game

see here some of the cracktro's i've made on the megadrive:

[ Show youtube player ][/

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by jarre; 29 August 2018 at 23:42.
Old 30 August 2018, 13:19   #17
WayneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarre View Post
Same here when i was in Magical, releasing and fixing megadrive and snes games, there was always comments on the intros, but meanwile they leeched and played the games, and by that time it was very normal and cool to add intro's or use ingame text to show who released the game

Our group ("Capital") was formed by Rotox/Magical, and I was also around the console scene (supplied one game, obviously a major part of the scene!) during SNES/Megadrive. I remember your intros well
Old 30 August 2018, 13:33   #18
modrobert
old bearded fool

I remember the first time when playing some cracked soccer game on the C64, and the ads around the field read 'cracked by 1103' or if it was only '1103', not intrusive, just inspiring.
Old 30 August 2018, 13:39   #19
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I remember the first time when playing some cracked soccer game on the C64, and the ads around the field read 'cracked by 1103' or if it was only '1103', not intrusive, just inspiring.

That was International Soccer cracked by the "J" part of JEDI (Oliver Joppich) and 1103 is his birthday. One of the very few groups which truly deserves the "legendary" status.
Old 30 August 2018, 14:00   #20
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

The German version of The Secret of Monkey Island by Quartex made Guybrush´s skin more RED... like, he was more under the sun and a real pirate

Last edited by Nibbler; 30 August 2018 at 14:01. Reason: I had the game originial of course ! But i knew a few people that had guybrush with a bad Sunburn XD