English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2018, 16:40   #21
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
all praise the throwaway society
I kept those tapes for the last 15 years stored (all were between 30 and 20 years old), "in case of" but with 2 or 3 exceptions where I needed to dig up a tape to record some mix excerpt for IDing purposes on discogs.com (as I used to be a DJ), they just were sitting there in 2 large boxes rotting away. All what was on those tapes I have in the meantime on CD/MP3 and what I do not have recorded elsewhere is no longer relevant anyway.

But at least right before they were binned, I also found a tape walkman, put a random tape in, connected it to a PSU, and listened to it as if I was back in the 80s. The sound quality was very poor and I stopped listening after 10 minutes, it was too much for my delicate ears
Old 08 August 2018, 16:51   #22
ptyerman

I still use cassette tapes in some circumstances, bought a new pack of C90's last week.
I have several tape decks for music tapes and a cassette loader for my Atari 600 and 800XL's that get used sometimes. Still got a working Walkman too.
Also have around 400 BetaMax tapes that all work fine without dropouts or screen tearing, and 4 BetaMax machines to play them on. Same number of VHS machines but about half the tapes.
Have a SCSI DDS 3 tape drive in one of my retro PC's with around two dozen tape cartridges for it too.
So yeah, none of my cassette tapes are going anywhere soon!
Old 08 August 2018, 22:04   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
You can't be blamed for throwing things away when they're not made to last to begin with :/
Old 08 August 2018, 23:06   #24
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

When there are players like the Tandberg TCD 3014A how can anyone dislike cassettes

I'm more into optical medium though (Laserdisc/red book CD).
Old 08 August 2018, 23:42   #25
rare_j
Zone Friend

When I was around 12 my CDT teacher mocked cassette tapes, saying that getting data off them was like 'kicking a dead whale up a beach' (whatever that means).
The future, he confidently told me, was microdrives.
Old 09 August 2018, 00:18   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I recently bought a tape from a local shop. When I asked him about cassette tapes he showed me other things, but I saw and pointed him about a tape that he had there: A Sony Metal-S, metal position, Type IV, 46 minutes. It was marked like by 34€ and after thinking for a minute he told me that 8€, so I bought it. It was dusty outside and it's clear that he forgot when did he sell the last one.

He told me that he could sell me more with a discount if I want to buy more cuantity.

Should I get them?

EDIT: I know that this thread is somehow Ok here in "Retrogaming general discussion". But you understand that I don't want to use these tapes to record games; I just want them to record music.

So I'm complaining or asking for a new subject for retro things in EAB. It could be named as "Retro stuff General Discussion".
Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 August 2018 at 00:34.
Old 09 August 2018, 05:26   #27
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
When I was around 12 my CDT teacher mocked cassette tapes, saying that getting data off them was like 'kicking a dead whale up a beach' (whatever that means).
The future, he confidently told me, was microdrives.
You mean, like these? Wow, that sure was a facepalm moment.
Old 09 August 2018, 10:01   #28
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
You mean, like these? Wow, that sure was a facepalm moment.
Or maybe more like IBM Microdrives, which were essentially high capacity CF cards (differing internal technology aside). If that's the case, he wasn't that far off at all - memory cards are still a common method of storage for music.
Old 09 August 2018, 11:06   #29
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Quote:
That's what I'm asking? What can I do with all the Tapes? I don't even think they would be of use in developing countries.
Old 09 August 2018, 11:07   #30
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You can't be blamed for throwing things away when they're not made to last to begin with :/
i believe they can last longer than cds, if you take care of your cassettes.

@dirkies: my attitude in regards to cassettes changed drastically after buying a used deck for very little money a few years back then. they can sound really excellent with the right equipment and luckily getting a decent player is not like selling your house anymore.

recording to old tapes and see what you can still get out of them qualitywise is quite fun. there is no need for metal tapes (prices are insane, hope you did not trash one of these), chrome tapes or even ferric tapes can sound suprisingly well after all.
Old 09 August 2018, 11:08   #31
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
That's what I'm asking? What can I do with all the Tapes?
send them to me
Old 09 August 2018, 11:33   #32
rare_j
Zone Friend

No, this was around 1988. So no IBM microdrive. He meant the Sinclair shoelace-in-a-matchbox microdrive.
Old 09 August 2018, 12:14   #33
Daedalus

Quote:
i believe they can last longer than cds, if you take care of your cassettes.
Will they retain their original signal quality after all that time though? I suspect that the stored waveform will slowly decay over the decades, leaving a still working, but perhaps slightly noisier or more dull sound. This is in contrast with CDs, which will preserve the original soundwave up until overcome with bit errors, at which point the original waveform is lost altogether.

To be fair, if you store CDs correctly, they'll probably last just as long. It's not like laserdiscs which used a manufacturing process that left them open to failure - problems with CDs are usually related to specific bad batches (can happen with any medium) or physical damage.
Old 09 August 2018, 12:46   #34
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Will they retain their original signal quality after all that time though?
that is a good point i would be interrested in as well

all i can say is, that i can not distinguish between cd and a cassette when switching the monitor while recording - and that with really old non metal cassettes on my deck. (my lazy ears...)

in contrary, i had problems with cds and a rotten data layer a couple of times already. and they have been stored correctly.
Old 09 August 2018, 13:05   #35
Daedalus

Hmmm, that's unfortunate, because I've only ever heard of very early CDs suffering from bitrot, and I have many Cds from the early '90s that all still play perfectly and have no signs of any rot. CD-Rs are a totally different however, and need special care. I had a CD-R get damaged while sitting in a jewel case on a shelf. Enough sunlight was passing through the spine of the case over the course of a few years to bleach the very edge of the disc - and it was a full disc, so all files that were stored at the edge were lost. It was a cheap disc though...
Old 10 August 2018, 01:40   #36
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Sorry but I would like to repeat my question: Should I get -now that I have the chance- some Sony metal position 46 minutes cassette tapes?

I'm listening that they are becoming rare and expensive and I think that I could get some for like 6€ or so. (No, please, don't answer telling "yep, and please sell me two". I don't like to trade or sell things mainly because I "owe more time than I've got", sorry).

What I've heard about the bad opinions about cassette tapes is that most of the people complains about the sound quality of them when they were recording from the radio in "normal" quality ones.
I recently bought a second hand cassette tape of "Flash Gordon" and it was stopping from time to time. I recorded it from the CD to a new metal position one and now it plays&sounds great.

Remember: We are talking about Analogic against Digital, and you should know that analogic is better in sound quality, if I'm not wrong. Of course it should be recorded directly and not from Digital like I've done.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 August 2018 at 02:10.
Old 10 August 2018, 16:55   #37
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Very expensive real to real or vinyl might sound better but cassette tape is very low quality and CDDA is much better quality.