English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 June 2007, 14:46   #21
quenthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
Also, the other question has anyone successfully used a CF-IDE adapter on one of these things? (making it a SCSI-IDE-CF adapter!)
Yes, I've done that and it works great - high transferspeeds ain't that crucial with my Amiga-system, since there ain't many big files. However access-speeds are almost instant, boottimes and overall Workbench usage is very fast. So using CF as boot partition could be best solution if large storage space is also needed.

Even though some IDE-CF adapters don't officially support DMA, I can confirm that you can get DMA with new "ultra" high-speed CF-cards, CF-IDE-adapters and acards IDE-UWSCSI -adapter. I had some problems to get my CF-adapter to work with Acard's and I had some discussions with them. So I updated the Acard to latest firmware and got rid of all the problems.

So one day with new CF cards you can get almost the max. speed you can get with these adapters with "0ns seek-times" ;-)
Old 20 June 2007, 14:55   #22
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@quenthal

Not one day, today! I got one of those 40MB/s Sandisk Extreme IV 2GB CF cards, and also a CF-IDE adapter, so will give it a go! (btw, do NOT get Sandisk cards from ebay).

What firmware version of which adapter did you need? I don't have a PC SCSI card and am hoping the flasher may work thru PCTask-Win98

Which CF-IDE adapter did you use?
Old 11 December 2007, 07:50   #23
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@quenthal

So which firmware version of which adapter did you need? I am thinking of upgrading the firmware to the latest as I am having problems reading the tracks off audio cds. I have tested both the AEC-7720UW and AEC-7726Q.

Can it be upgraded via PCTask-Win98 or Shapeshifter/Fusion-MacOS?
Old 11 December 2007, 12:21   #24
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ View Post
I can confirm that the 50pin SCSI---> IDE adapter works well too except with GVP SCSI controllers
Oh dear... I was interested in using one of these with my GVP controller for the A500. Do you remember what gvpscsi version you were using when you tried that out?
Old 11 December 2007, 12:41   #25
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Oh dear... I was interested in using one of these with my GVP controller for the A500. Do you remember what gvpscsi version you were using when you tried that out?

V 4.15 If I'm not mistaken
Old 11 December 2007, 15:02   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

Oh well.. saves me a few quid I suppose thanks AMIGAZ