English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 April 2022, 22:38   #721
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTomorrow View Post
Let's talk about kickstarts... There are two folders when we put them, one is \kickstart, the other is \userpackages\Kickstart roms\Kickstarts
and now... when you start the installation, the first kickstart detection says "found 0 kickstart roms" and that's not true because we have some kickstart roms in \kickstart folder (eg: when we put A1200.47.102.rom in it and start hstwb_image_setup.cmd it will detect that rom and save it to the WinUAE configuration file (hstwb-installer-a1200.uae). So, we get to that point when we see "install 0 kickstart roms" so we choose that option then we go to the other installation point when we choose userpacks to install and then, if we choose whdload packs, the script starts another kickstart detection but this time, it is checking \userpackages\Kickstart roms\Kickstarts folder and if we have correct roms in it, we'll se "X roms detected" or something like this. If we have roms named like in tosec (eg. Kickstart v1.2 rev 33.180 (1986)(Commodore)(A500-A2000)[!]) then we should rename them as whdload documentation says (in this example this should be amiga-os-120.rom), see the link below
http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html
So... we don't really need Cloanto's roms because even if we have a legit but downloadable version (not CD), we won't find rom.key in it. The question is - what is that first kickstart detection screen for if it always finds no roms?
The short answer is both kickstart installations do the same thing. I really need to delete the first kickstart detection and only keep the second one in user packages. Kickstart installation also needs to be renamed to "Kickstart roms for WHDLoad". It's currently confusing there's two and Kickstart installation will never detect and install eg. "A1200.47.102.rom" kickstart rom file as it's not needed for WHDLoad.

Quote:
BTW I've just started another CF 32GB installation and I hope this time my A1200 will boot and I won't get Guru meditation error... Oh, one question bothers me - what is FFS in user packages for? If the image and partitions in it are made with PFS3, what would happen if I choose FFS to install in userpackages choice screen? Will it change my file system from PFS3 to FFS?
FFS in user packages is only used to upgrade the filesystem handler/driver file to a newer version, it has no effect any partition FFS or PFS3. If you use Amiga OS 3.1.4+ you don't need it.

Quote:
One other question. Which options should I enable in configuration having blizzard 1230-mkIV with FPU 128mb? I have 3.2.1 roms in my A1200 and I don't have mapping rom jumper enabled on my 1230-mkIV (does maprom option enables actual, physical rom from your amiga or 3.1 like in https://github.com/henrikstengaard/hstwb-package) description? There are some options like MMU, 020+ cpu, os patches, etc. Is "load scsi.device" option required if I have a 3.2.1 rom? I don't know which scsi.device version in that rom, I can't find any info what it contains.
Maprom is used to map a newer or modified kickstart rom file, eg. map kickstart 3.1 file when only kickstart 3.0 is physically installed. As I recall maprom is required for blizkick to apply it's patches on-the-fly.

If you have kickstart rom 3.1.4+ installed physically, then you don't need loading of scsi.device. That's only required for kickstart 3.0 or 3.1.

Quote:
---edit---
Yeah, my the last installation (32gb image) does work. With or without 020+ cpu, FPU and OS patches, every time Workbench was telling me "please insert volume containing LIBS\icon.library in any drive". I saw there are more icon libraries in LIBS: for different cpu but I tried 68020icon.library_disabled renaming it to icon.library but that didn't work so I've copied one from one of the 3.2.1 adf's (a1200 modules I think) and it did work. The only thing is that iGame icon from desktop doesn't show any games on the list. iGame from HstWB\Games folder does but none of the WHDload games work with iGame. There might be some issue I don't know yet. I've checked some games directly from their folders and they work fine with whdload.
User package iGame from decktop is located differently that HstWB games menu one and is empty by default. You can get games added to it by copying some files from hstwb\games to application\igame.
Old 27 April 2022, 22:31   #722
TommyTomorrow

Thank you for an explanation I have physical 3.2.1 rom now so I don't need loading scsi.device.
About iGame... do I really need to copy games to a different folder or can I just click right mouse button and use iGame options to point the folder that contains whdload games? I didn't know about this menu until I told my friend about my problem then he said "haven't you used right mouse button to pop-up menu? there's an option to add folder with games"
Old 28 April 2022, 01:09   #723
cyberhead97

Quote:
Thank you for an explanation I have physical 3.2.1 rom now so I don't need loading scsi.device.
About iGame... do I really need to copy games to a different folder or can I just click right mouse button and use iGame options to point the folder that contains whdload games? I didn't know about this menu until I told my friend about my problem then he said "haven't you used right mouse button to pop-up menu? there's an option to add folder with games"
You don't need copy games, just igame's index files from dh1:hstwb/games/gameslist and repos files to dh0:applications/igame
Old 14 May 2022, 23:36   #724
drusso66

error msg

i am trying to use one of the pre made hdf to prepare a sd card for my A1200,
i have copied all the OS 3.1 adf's and the kick starts to the appropiate folders, also copied the Retroplay games and demo sets to the correct folders but when i run the "hstwb_image_setuo.cmd" i get the flowwing errors (see attached image)Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.PNG
Views:	202
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	75581
Old 25 September 2022, 23:17   #725
spudje

Sorry if this has been asked before, used the thread search box, found nothing, but didn't go through the complete thread manually.

I would like to use only the HstWB User Package Installation v1.6.3 to install the WHDLoad packages on an existing image I made myself. The documentation is not yet there: https://github.com/henrikstengaard/h...e-installation

Is it just a matter of preparing the WHDLoad packages and then running the script on the Amiga side? Will it ask for which partition to drive etc, or does this also require specific named mounted volumes, etc?

Thanks!
Old 26 September 2022, 17:51   #726
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, used the thread search box, found nothing, but didn't go through the complete thread manually.

I would like to use only the HstWB User Package Installation v1.6.3 to install the WHDLoad packages on an existing image I made myself. The documentation is not yet there: https://github.com/henrikstengaard/h...e-installation

Is it just a matter of preparing the WHDLoad packages and then running the script on the Amiga side? Will it ask for which partition to drive etc, or does this also require specific named mounted volumes, etc?

Thanks!
Yes pretty much set it up then run on the Amiga side.
No there is a section during the installation where you can change draws and assigns.
Old 26 September 2022, 21:38   #727
spudje

Awesome, thanks a lot.
Old 20 October 2022, 12:43   #728
eispic

Can someone give me a guide, would like to build Amiga OS 3.2.1 with the ClassicWB.ADVSP.28.2.1 using the HSTWB Installer v1.6.3
Old 16 February 2023, 14:15   #729
reno

Hello,

I've just made a new install of 3.2 + 3.2.1 update using installer 1.6.3, selecting HstWB as a WB enhancement package.

When I boot using the 3.2 ROM (A1200.47.102.rom), I can't get rid of the infamous "please insert volume containing LIBS\icon.library in any drive"

I tried "Load icon.library" in setup but it changes nothing.

In FS-UAE I can work around this by booting with KS 3.1, but my A1200 has physical 3.2 ROMs so that won't work.

Is this because HstWB installer isn't fully compatible with 3.2.1 ?
What is a workaround for now, and is there a permanent fix in the works ?

Thanks !
Old 16 February 2023, 14:25   #730
reno

If that can help somebody else, I have fixed my icon.library problem by mounting the 3.2.1 A1200 modules ADF in DF1, from ABS I selected CLI then "cd DF1:LIBS" and "copy icon.library to LIBS: CLONE". But it would be great to fix this in the installer

A few other questions / suggestions :

- iGame crashes as soon as I click on a game. Is it because I have the wrong set of icons (I chose 320x256 and I haven't changed my display setting, it's default)
- Will I need to do anything more to make this install work with a TF1260 ?
- Is PFS3AIO still a better choice than the updated FFS provided with OS 3.2 ?
- Has anyone made Amigashell scripts for easily updating your Games partition with newer Retroplay WHDLoad packages ? Would the current RetroPlay package installation scripts in HstWB installer be easy to modify to do that ? I know bash & python and might like to give it a go, if you can tell me the best place to start.
- Self-install images for PiStorm32 would be awesome ! Until that exists, any tips/tutorial for transferring an HstWB installation to the type 76 partitions on a PiStorm32 SD card ?

Thanks

Last edited by reno; 16 February 2023 at 14:44. Reason: add question
Old 07 March 2023, 01:15   #731
reno

I upgraded my HstWB installation to 3.2.2, and since then (I think), I'm getting the warning about a missing CPU library when using a TF1230.

I suppose I can reinstall MMULibs to fix it ?
But I thought that HstWB already did that and also autodetects some stuff to allow running the same image on different CPUs. Does anyone know more about this ?
Old 22 March 2023, 01:37   #732
megimg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno View Post
I upgraded my HstWB installation to 3.2.2, and since then (I think), I'm getting the warning about a missing CPU library when using a TF1230.

But I thought that HstWB already did that and also autodetects some stuff to allow running the same image on different CPUs. Does anyone know more about this ?
How do you added the 3.2.2 and the Kickstart, for me the hstWB still dont have the info.
Old 22 March 2023, 15:48   #733
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by megimg View Post
How do you added the 3.2.2 and the Kickstart, for me the hstWB still dont have the info.
I upgraded to 3.2.2 after installing 3.2.1 with HstWB
Old 22 March 2023, 15:50   #734
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno View Post

Answering myself : that happened because HstWB modifies the startup-sequence (not just user-startup) to load CPU libraries, and the 3.2.2 installer replaces it with a new one. In the end I took the backed up HstWB startup-sequence, and added the changes from the 3.2.2 s-s to it.
Old 24 April 2023, 21:15   #735
fisken uno
Zone Friend

First of all, I absolutely LOVE the HstWB installer. It really has made life installing WB in the flavor you desire SO much easier. However, I think it could get even easier - if there was sort of like an installation that required fewer alternatives. A simple installation that would install all options for example, and maybe a "bare" version that installed only minimum alternatives? Just a thought.

However, I recently ran into an issue I just can't seem to get sorted. Ok, so I use ClassicWB for my CD32 with a TF330 (128MB model). I've used an 8GB card for a long time, using WB 3.2.1. But recently I actually managed to max the card out and needed to upgrade the disk space. And this is where the problems started...

Quite simply, it won't work with any card above 8GB. Works when I set it up in WinUAE, but on the real hardware I first get "Can't find DH1" error and then when entering WB it looks like the Work partition is not formatted. So, if I try to format it - I get "object too large" error. I've tried to partition into more small partitions as well, which does not seem to work. It seems everything above 8GB fails.

I even tried to install 3.2.1 from scratch, with the updated FFS. It actually worked, but when copying all files from the HstWB installation I instead got read errors when reading DH1. Very strange. However, OS3.9 actually WORKS without any issues as far as I can tell.

So, the CD32 is a bit special because if I've understood things correctly, the ONLY way to get large drive support is by softkicking a ROM and use the scsi.device stored in that ROM. Well, I'm sure it's possible somehow to switch the physical ROMs too but the point is that the CD32 seems to completely ignore any scsi.device on disk and instead uses the one in the ROM.

So... The easy way would be to just go with ClassicWB OS3.9, right? But it SUCKS that I cannot use 3.2.1 because I really think it's a nice upgrade.

Could you guys guide me - is the problem related to PFS or 3.2.1 - or maybe both? I never had issues with PFS before, I think it's a great FS. Is there anything I can do to make it work with 3.2.1 and CF >8GB on my CD32??
Old 23 May 2023, 22:54   #736
TommyTomorrow

Have you tried to make an image in WinUAE and HstWB then copy it (or burn, whatever) that image to your flash card with Win32DiskManager? I've got 32GB CF card made in the same way and I have no problems with it (apart from the fact that the last update changed my startup-sequence and f.... up my system and I had to reflash my kick roms with the newest version and burn my 32GB image to my CF again).
Old 24 May 2023, 07:56   #737
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Have you tried to make an image in WinUAE and HstWB then copy it (or burn, whatever) that image to your flash card with Win32DiskManager? I've got 32GB CF card made in the same way and I have no problems with it (apart from the fact that the last update changed my startup-sequence and f.... up my system and I had to reflash my kick roms with the newest version and burn my 32GB image to my CF again).
Yup, that’s exactly what I do. Interesting that you get it to work. Wonder if it’s a problem related to the fact I’m running on a CD32. Definitely seems like a ROM issue to me.
Old 24 May 2023, 15:16   #738
TommyTomorrow

I think when I was making this image I was using 3.2 kickstart (I'm on 3.2.2 now).
Old 24 May 2023, 16:56   #739
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
I think when I was making this image I was using 3.2 kickstart (I'm on 3.2.2 now).
Yeah, I use the 3.1 built in ROM of the CD32. However, the 3.2 install uses LOADMODULE to softkick into 3.2 but I suspect there might be some incompatibility here with the PFS3 filesystem. I might need to test if it behaves the same on my A600 (which also has a physical 3.1 ROM). But had hoped someone in here knew what could be the possible issue… Again, PFS3 works great with drives bigger than 8GB on OS 3.9 which also uses LOADMODULE, so maybe something else is causing the issue on 3.2…
Old 27 June 2023, 00:00   #740
Lizart

Hello, I just discovered HstWB Installer for myself, great tool! It has never been so easy to create your AGS Collection. I have a question about the menus, is it possible to include curated lists or lists sorted by year, besides the OCS/AGA games and demos? If yes, how ?