English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 18 March 2022, 17:04   #1361
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
FYI, the link doesn't work. (At least it doesn't work for me)
Oops. I fixed the link, "http" got corrected to "https" somehow.
Old 19 March 2022, 09:31   #1362
bebbo
bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Or a script, which simply pulls the NDK from Aminet and installs it. The NDK is freely available, not dependant on Hyperion (which is important to us).

What you request was an absolute necessity in 1988, but not today. It is much better to always fetch the latest NDK release at installation or even update it easily for an existing installation of the compiler. This would fit with our plan to release incremental NDK updates instead of bigger ones every decade.

However, for this to work out it has be be ensured by all of us, that both your GCC's and the NDK's revision do not depend on each other, so users won't be left alone in case either product's development "stalls" for some time. An update of the compiler should not break the NDK and vice versa.

1st:
It's not "my" gcc, gcc is open source, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. Everyone is welcome to contribute.

2nd:
The available NDKs aren't usable without applying this and that. It's pure fantasy that installing a new NDK will work out of the box.

3rd:
Without this prerequisite, someone else is welcome to provide an Amiga version.
Old 19 March 2022, 22:42   #1363
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
1st:
2nd:
The available NDKs aren't usable without applying this and that.
Such as?
Old 19 March 2022, 23:16   #1364
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@bubbob42

Have you looked at the compiler cross-compatibility patches in the the SDI headers?
Old 20 March 2022, 00:17   #1365
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Have you looked at the compiler cross-compatibility patches in the the SDI headers?
Years ago. And?

If bebbo thinks, that there's no way around shipping modified NDK headers with gcc, then he could simply ask Ben for permission.
Old 20 March 2022, 10:12   #1366
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
2nd:
The available NDKs aren't usable without applying this and that. It's pure fantasy that installing a new NDK will work out of the box.
We're trying to make it real. Give us a chance, please.

I know that there are copyright and licensing issues for the material involved, and there is doubt about where this whole effort will lead. It's comparatively safe to rework the old NDK material, but it has its limits. For example, there is no sound NDK 1.3 header file set which works well enough with existing compilers.
Old 20 March 2022, 12:31   #1367
alkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
We're trying to make it real. Give us a chance, please.
Great! That's good to know.

[Warning: philosophical question ahead]

Quote:
I know that there are copyright and licensing issues for the material involved, and there is doubt about where this whole effort will lead. It's comparatively safe to rework the old NDK material, but it has its limits. For example, there is no sound NDK 1.3 header file set which works well enough with existing compilers.
Well, since header files are API declarations, do you think they are copyrightable in a post-Oracle-Vs-Google Supreme court decision?
Old 20 March 2022, 17:54   #1368
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
Great! That's good to know.
That commitment is what made the NDK 3.2 R4 work such a slog. We fixed ancient bugs in the header files, mostly related to how the many macros work which are still documented and active. A substantial part of these were vulnerable to side effects due to lack of parentheses.

Then the interface header files had to be rebuilt over and over again (at least five times) after we discovered small defects which prompted fixes for the sfd files which the interface header files were produced from. Interface header files included, NDK 3.2 R4 now contains 691 'C' header files in total. This finally covers vbcc support in all respects. We now support Lattice 'C' 4.0, Lattice 'C' 5.0, Aztec 'C' 5.0, SAS/C 5.1, SAS/C 6.x, DICE, Maxon 'C', StormC, gcc and vbcc. That's ten 'C' compilers, many of which are no longer under active development or being maintained.

The header files have also been polished and, hopefully, improved, adding documentation where previously was none, e.g. for some of the oldest graphics.library header files there are, such as "graphics/gfx.h" (what good are those many macros, for example). If possible, this will continue for subsequent NDK releases...

Quote:
[Warning: philosophical question ahead]

Well, since header files are API declarations, do you think they are copyrightable in a post-Oracle-Vs-Google Supreme court decision?
I am not a lawyer, so my guess is that this kind of question can only be settled in court. Because there are multiple parties still engaged in litigation to clear up what exactly is permitted in the Amiga operating system and associated technology domain it's unclear (at least to me) whether the work we have done for the NDK 3.2 R4 is likely to end in trouble.

That work was certainly done in good faith and for the benefit of its users, regardless of what the outcome of the litigation will be. Sticking you head out is risky, but somebody had to "till this field", lest it wither away over time. This is my opinion on the matter, for now.
Old 21 March 2022, 16:40   #1369
bebbo
bye

Quote:

We now support Lattice 'C' 4.0, Lattice 'C' 5.0, Aztec 'C' 5.0, SAS/C 5.1, SAS/C 6.x, DICE, Maxon 'C', StormC, gcc and vbcc.

it still needs some patches to work with gcc 6.5.0b
Old 21 March 2022, 19:02   #1370
paraj

@bebbo: Do you have the build scripts/steps necessary to build the cross compiler available on github? Regardless of the outcome with regards to NDK redistribution, I think that would make it easier for someone else to pick up the torch/contribute or for interested observers to battle it out themselves.
I've built gcc cross compilers in the past and it's always been a huge hassle, so any assistance in reducing that friction would really help.

Thanks again for your contributions, and I appreciate if you don't want to the extra support burden.
Old 22 March 2022, 08:36   #1371
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
@bebbo: Do you have the build scripts/steps necessary to build the cross compiler available on github? .

Thanks again for your contributions, and I appreciate if you don't want to the extra support burden.
https://github.com/bebbo/amiga-gcc
Old 22 March 2022, 15:25   #1372
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi all!

Just wanted to say Thank You bebbo!

It's amazing to have a modern GCC on my Amiga!

And thanks to Camilla, Olaf, and all who improve the NDK

Cheers!
Old 22 March 2022, 18:39   #1373
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post

I worded my post badly. I meant for building the native AmigaOS version of GCC. I just assumed that it was cross compiled under Linux and not natively, but it was or the info is already there and I can't see it.
Old 22 March 2022, 20:48   #1374
alancfrancis

Quote:
I worded my post badly. I meant for building the native AmigaOS version of GCC. I just assumed that it was cross compiled under Linux and not natively, but it was or the info is already there and I can't see it.
Ah sorry
Old 22 March 2022, 20:51   #1375
alancfrancis

I have tried the Amiga version in FS-UAE (fake A1200 with a P5 030 board and 128Mb under 3.2.1) and it just crashed immediately so I’ll wait until there’s a proper release, I think
Old 23 March 2022, 08:05   #1376
bebbo
bye

Quote:
I have tried the Amiga version in FS-UAE (fake A1200 with a P5 030 board and 128Mb under 3.2.1) and it just crashed immediately so I’ll wait until there’s a proper release, I think

guess you haven't set a reasonable stack size...
Old 23 March 2022, 08:10   #1377
bebbo
bye

Quote:

Yet there is no recipe, it was random hacking, editing this and that plus a tad of debugging to get that far. The changes - where I'm confident it will work -are already live, others aren't.
Old 23 March 2022, 10:12   #1378
alancfrancis

Quote:
guess you haven't set a reasonable stack size...
As always, being accidentally offensive is my worst fear, so to be clear I meant

"I clearly dont know what I'm doing and will wait for better instructions"

not

"wow this thing is really buggy I'll wait till its better' :-)

I had stack at 32768 ? Does it need to be bigger ? Its a "recoverable alert" 0006 8881
Old 23 March 2022, 10:16   #1379
bebbo
bye

Quote:
As always, being accidentally offensive is my worst fear, so to be clear I meant

"I clearly dont know what I'm doing and will wait for better instructions"

not

"wow this thing is really buggy I'll wait till its better' :-)

I had stack at 32768 ? Does it need to be bigger ? Its a "recoverable alert" 0006 8881
Well, to be fair: any number is a reasonable stack size. So this sounds reasonable.

that alert is my creation^^
try reading it again and again and again maybe you'll figure, what's missing:

0006 8881

PS:
Bonus question: Guess what you'll get, if you start it with a 68000 cpu...

Last edited by bebbo; 23 March 2022 at 11:20.
Old 23 March 2022, 16:32   #1380
alancfrancis

Hah! Very good on both alerts. :-) I cant see a way in FS-UAE to "add" an FPU. My real A1200 has a 68882 on the P5 board. I'll try that when I get a minute.