English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 04 April 2012, 06:21   #1
weiju

FS-UAE 1.1 Development Series - Autoscaling problem

Hi Frode,

I tried a couple of settings for the 1.1.0 version of FS-UAE and it seems that the scaling is wrong when I don't set the viewport setting, however it works when I set it explicitly. When viewport is not set, it looks like this:

I have also attached the configuration files and log file (I am using the Amiga OS 3.1 that I purchased with Cloanto's Amiga Forever).

Thanks,

Wei-ju
Attached Files
File Type: zip configs_and_log.zip (6.8 KB, 449 views)
Old 04 April 2012, 20:18   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, I did not manage to reproduce the problem with AmigaOS 3.1 from Amiga Forever, but I did get the same result while booting a ClassicWB installation. I traced the problem to being triggered by "SetPatch" in S/StartupSequence. It is possible you have the same problem, and that the issue depends on the SetPatch version.

I also confirmed that the same autoscaling problem is present in WinUAE 2.4.0 (and WinUAE 2.4.1beta4). This is not necessarily an autoscale bug: autoscaling is just a best-effort function to try to fit the display, but will not always get it right.
Old 05 April 2012, 03:21   #3
weiju

Hi Frode,
you are right - as soon as I deactivate the SetPatch in the Startup-Sequence, the screen is scaled to the correct size.
Still, it's interesting that version 0.9.12 does not have this problem even with the same OS configuration.

Thanks,

Wei-ju
Old 05 April 2012, 12:35   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiju View Post
Hi Frode,
you are right - as soon as I deactivate the SetPatch in the Startup-Sequence, the screen is scaled to the correct size.
Still, it's interesting that version 0.9.12 does not have this problem even with the same OS configuration.
Thanks,Wei-ju
Well, it's a bit interesting if the problem does not exist in 1.0.2 either, but 1.1.x got updated WinUAE code, so the autoscaling algorithm has probably been tweaked a bit. I might have a look at it, but it hasn't high priority now. -And changing the autoscaling code might break other cases.

One possibility, if no other suitable fix is found, is to add a hack to specifically detect this "error" and hardcode a fix for it, since these scaling parameters are not likely to be correct in other situations either. Not a very elegant solution. I'll see what I do..
Old 06 April 2012, 06:11   #5
weiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Well, it's a bit interesting if the problem does not exist in 1.0.2 either, but 1.1.x got updated WinUAE code, so the autoscaling algorithm has probably been tweaked a bit. I might have a look at it, but it hasn't high priority now. -And changing the autoscaling code might break other cases.

One possibility, if no other suitable fix is found, is to add a hack to specifically detect this "error" and hardcode a fix for it, since these scaling parameters are not likely to be correct in other situations either. Not a very elegant solution. I'll see what I do..
Yes, I think there are more important issues than this one, and maybe it should be adjusted in WinUAE as well in that case to keep the source in sync. At least I know what causes it and there is a workaround. Thank you so much !

Wei-ju