English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 August 2019, 23:35   #1
MrD

Levels in Brian the Lion OCS/AGA and CD32

I'm interested in the differences between the computer and CD32 versions of Brian the Lion.

I was playing the CD32 version and didn't expect to find two new levels The Village People and Catapult!! added between The Steamy Jungle and The Rocky Mountain. Also, the secret routes sometimes lead forwards now instead of back to the level they came from (The Steamy Jungle > Jungle Secret > Jungle Paradise > The Steamy Jungle now leads to The Village People instead).

How many new levels are added? The inlay for the CD32 mentions "three all new mission levels": a treasure hunt (seems to be the one a couple before The Way Forward?), rescuing animals (The Village People?) and unblocking a well (The Well?). Is there only three new levels?

Does anybody have complete maps of the overworlds from all the versions of Brian the Lion? (and/or a list of level names? I don't know if there's an unlock all levels cheat on the CD32 since there's no password entry.)

Last edited by MrD; 08 August 2019 at 00:44.
Old 08 August 2019, 08:57   #2
PopoCop

Taken from HOL:
"There are elements of the gameplay that are totally unique to the CD32 version and are not referred to in the Amiga manual. These include three all new mission levels, where Brian has to hunt for treasure, free caged animals and free a jammed bucket from the bottom of a well! Also there are completely new special challenge levels. Occasionally a top hat can be seen floating above one of the levels on the map screen. If Brian enters that level he will be offered one of two special challenges. 1) "Cup 'N Ball" - A ball is placed under one of three cups and you have to guess where it is after they have all been shuffled around. 2) "Cardorama" - A card game where you have to match up the bonus cards."
Old 08 August 2019, 10:09   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

don't you love when CD32 versions aren't 100% exact copy of AGA, or worse: ECS version with joypad controls.
Old 08 August 2019, 12:07   #4
Gzegzolka

https://www.ppa.pl/forum/strefa-gier...brian-the-lion here are cd32 maps from Brian the Lion. I have found two minigames if You walk on stage with hat. There are three mission based levels on first island and first level is split into two levels.

Fun trivia if You are interested - few months ago I was talking with Philip Baxter. Brian the Lion was first game he made graphics and design levels for. He is still active game developer Reflections would love to make more levels like those extra three but Psygnosis weren't sure if CD32 version will be successful so they do not want to spend more money and time on it. Also there was going to be third island based on wild west theme between first island and second one.
Old 08 August 2019, 17:35   #5
MrD

PopoCop: Thanks, I've been reading that inlay too as I said. But I wouldn't implicitly trust what the packaging says, compared to what's really in the game. :P

Gzegzolka: That's great thank you very much! It's a shame there were only three, but it's a nice bonus anyway. The wild west theme makes some sense because there is a gunfighter enemy that's pretty common around the middle of the game. I'd love to know everything there is about Brian the Lion! That sort of trivia is awesome.
Old 10 August 2019, 22:41   #6
clenched

Check new HOL pictures for "THE LABYRINTH OF DEATH" CD level. Does the map statue function? It's not purchased at a shop. None of the controller buttons do anything. Is it ever seen elsewhere?

http://hol.abime.net/209/screenshot
http://hol.abime.net/209/gamemap
Code:
        AGA Disk                        CD
 ===================================================
 THE STEAMY JUNGLE        	   THE STEAMY JUNGLE 
 THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN 		   THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN 
 BARRY THE BEAR 		   BARRY THE BEAR 
 JUNGLE SECRET 			   JUNGLE SECRET 
 ROCKY SECRET 			   ROCKY SECRET 
 FOUNTAIN SECRET 		   FOUNTAIN SECRET 
 BONUS PARADISE 		   BONUS PARADISE 
 THE FOUNTAIN OF LIFE 		   THE FOUNTAIN OF LIFE 
 GOSH! 				   GOSH! 
 PLEASANT PLAINS 		   PLEASANT PLAINS 
 				   THE VILLAGE PEOPLE 
 				   CATAPULT!! 
 				   THE WELL 
 THE SPOOKY RUINS 		   THE SPOOKY RUINS 
 THE OCEAN 			   THE OCEAN 
 TRIBAL TROUBLE 		   TRIBAL TROUBLE 
 TRIBAL SECRET 			   TRIBAL SECRET 
 RUINED SECRET 			   RUINED SECRET 
 RUINED PARADISE 		   RUINED PARADISE 
 THE DESERTED RUINS 		   THE DESERTED RUINS 
 CRUMBLING TERROR 		   CRUMBLING TERROR 
 MECHANICAL NIGHTMARE 		   MECHANICAL NIGHTMARE 
 TRIBAL SECRET 2 		   TRIBAL SECRET 2 
 GRAEME THE GORILLA 		   GRAEME THE GORILLA 
 RUN!!				   RUN!! 
 				   THE LABYRINTH OF DEATH 
 THE GRAVEYARD 			   THE GRAVEYARD 
 THE CRYPT 			   THE CRYPT 
 LAVA LAKE 			   LAVA LAKE 
 SPOOKY SECRET 			   SPOOKY SECRET 
 LAVA LAKE 2 			   LAVA LAKE 2 
 PANIC IN THE WOODS 		   PANIC IN THE WOODS 
 THE UNDEAD 			   THE UNDEAD 
 THE VOLCANO 			   THE VOLCANO 
 I KNEW THERE WAS AN EASIER WAY <> SO THERES AN EASIER WAY 
 VOLCANO SECRET 		   VOLCANO SECRET 
 EEEK! 				   EEEK! 
 BIT NIPPY! 			   BIT NIPPY! 
 FROZEN SECRET 			   FROZEN SECRET 
 GEEZA 				   GEEZA 
 THANKYOU VERY MUCH! 		   THANKYOU VERY MUCH! 
 FROZEN TERROR 			   FROZEN TERROR 
 THE WAY FORWARD 		   THE WAY FORWARD 
 THE WAY BACK 			   THE WAY BACK
Old 14 August 2019, 08:26   #7
MrD

Thanks clencher.

As far as I know the map statue is just for decoration in that one level.
Old 14 August 2019, 09:11   #8
Gzegzolka

Yes, map statue is just decoration. On maze level are some buttons that need to be pressed in correct order to open treasure room.
Old 31 August 2019, 01:54   #9
clenched

Did anyone notice sometime during the game that "BARRY THE BEAR" on overview picture changes from orange to blue? That is the third blue circle R to L. This indicates a tornado i.e. level warp but none is to be found.
Old 31 August 2019, 14:51   #10
Gzegzolka

Me not, I haven't noticed that
Another interesting trivia - near first level You can see wastelands/desert on left part of map. There is no levels that use desert settings. In early version of story when evil Geza kidnap Chris the Crystal he take over his magical powers, by doing that he cause harm to enviormet. Desert were going to consume land and move from left to right part of map. That cause two things: Reflections do not want their game to be that dark and despair, second game allows to revisit levels that sand disaster would be hard to implement.

Other stuff - roar is cool power up, I like how different monsters react to it, some will be stunned, Barry the Bear will roar back
Old 07 September 2019, 23:01   #11
MrD

That sounds really cool. Thanks for the trivia!

I was playing the CD32 version and I got a crash...

https://imgur.com/a/OfdFMwE

What I did:
- Had save files in 1,2 but not 3.
- Deleted 1.
- Started new game in 1.
- Did The Steamy Jungle, Jungle Secret, Jungle Paradise, The Village People, Catapult!, The Rocky Mountain, Rocky Secret, Fountain Secret, Gosh!, Pleasant Plains, The Well, Barry the Bear, (the ruins?), Ruins Secret, Tribal Trouble, Tribal Secret.
- Entered the shop on Tribal Secret.

One thing that was really weird was that usually the game offers to let you save after completing Gosh! and Barry the Bear, but it didn't this time.
Old 14 October 2021, 17:04   #12
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I decided to play Brian the Lion ECS version on my Amiga 500 some days ago.

Now I see on the map from HOL that there must be a 2nd exit in the 'Deserted Ruins' level, and I think it leads to levels 'Tribal Secret 2' and 'Crumbling Terror'?

However, no matter which of both exits I go, none of them brings me to these levels?
I always end up at level 'Mechanical Nightmare' after 'Deserted Ruins'

Is there perhaps anything else I need to do on 'Deserted Ruins' level to reach those 2 other (maybe secret?) levels?

Last edited by Overdoc; 14 October 2021 at 19:33.
Old 21 October 2021, 15:45   #13
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Hmm, seems no one played those levels except user Gzegzolka, but he might not have seen this thread again, or forgot, not online, etc.?!

Does anyone maybe have a password with the complete map including all secret levels?
Old 22 October 2021, 01:20   #14
Gzegzolka

Not much spare time here I believe that that level actually have three posibble exits. Upper and bottom ones are easy to reach, while middle was most tricky. If You get there You will find button on floor that will activate bridge if my memory is correct. It is not big secret and I am sure there was not any more levels, just another path between levels You will normally have on Your map.