English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2020, 13:01   #41
AMIGASYSTEM

Great thing Overmann, it is important that other developers also approach AROS 68k and above all that there is only one AROS 68k to carry on, the standard distributed with the Nightly Build without dissipating energy elsewhere.
Old 31 July 2020, 14:39   #42
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Great thing Overmann, it is important that other developers also approach AROS 68k and above all that there is only one AROS 68k to carry on, the standard distributed with the Nightly Build without dissipating energy elsewhere.
I disagree. The exclusion of graphics driver support will allow the Amiga graphics chipsets to revert to being hard-coded into Graphics.library while reducing the memory footprint of the OS. Faster and smaller was what made AmigaOS great in the first place. Now that we can't rely on commercial entities to supply that, we need AROS to be smaller and faster in its place.

While the AROS team helped the 68k wiggle out from under the thumbs of the commercial entities, the 68k compatibility has been an issue to those in the AROS team that want to do compatibility-breaking changes to add SMP and other features. AROS 68k is viewed as holding them back so a compatibility-focused fork of AROS was inevitable. Thus ApolloOS came on the scene, removing needless abstraction layers and improving backward compatibility.
Old 31 July 2020, 15:00   #43
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Thus ApolloOS came on the scene, removing needless abstraction layers and improving backward compatibility.
With what? using applications, device, commands and libraries old OS3 ?
Old 31 July 2020, 15:03   #44
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Nope. Making a compatible replacement for the Graphics.library used by AROS and removing OOP.library from the ApolloOS kernel.
Old 31 July 2020, 15:05   #45
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok if it will be available "to all!" we will see the progress !
Old 01 August 2020, 12:59   #46
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Wow, this is pretty cool!
Apollo/Vampire team is making new Amiga hardware AND bundling it with a 100% legal OS. Both being improved by the day.

Those are some really stand-up guys!
Old 01 August 2020, 13:59   #47
nikosidis

This is very cool!!! Vampire team can now have full control of software (OS) and hardware. Looking forward to follow the progress.
Old 01 August 2020, 15:38   #48
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
What is coming? Exactly what I was expecting to come, another incompatible fork. This is exactly what happens with open source software - branches, and by that more incompatibilities.

If you think that this layer is solving problems, I bet you are in error - it will create problems. Not engineering problems, of course, and not right now.

In case you don't understand: You don't solve the problem of a small market and too many incompatible standards by another incompatible standard.

Oh well...
I guess if AmigaOS 3.2 and up is better for Vampire users why would they use ApolloOS?
Old 01 August 2020, 15:40   #49
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I guess if AmigaOS 3.2 and up is better for Vampire users why would they use ApolloOS?
3 words: not legally encumbered.
Old 01 August 2020, 23:36   #50
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
AROS is nowhere near 3.1 let alone any modern version. Even its own page says it is only 82% of 3.1. If it was any good everyone would be using it. To say it has surpassed anything is ludicrous when there are lots of pieces missing and the bits that are present are slow and buggy.
Yet again, you completely ignore the realities... something you seem good at. The only ludicrous thing around here is your blinkered, distorted view of the Amiga world.m

Aros has inherent advantages. It is free, it is open source, it is portable. It can be changed at will and it has greater scope for improvement.

OS 3.1 is closed. It costs money to buy, and if you bought 3.14, you will also have to pay for 3.2. And 3.2 is almost certainly only a series of bug fixes and tweaks. The people working on OS 3.2 control what is added and what is changed. The users have very little say in the matter.

And all versions of OS3.x are in a legal limbo. There is absolutely no guarantee that 3.14, 3.2 or any future versions sold by Hyperion are legal. If things go badly in the court cases, Hyperion could be looking at some rather big bills. I would also be interested to hear the limits of liability the individual developers too.

I'm really not interested in hearing any more of your deluded rants, so I shall just ignore you from now on. And yes, as others have mentioned, you are rude and you clearly have a specific agenda... to discredit Aros and its developers.
Old 01 August 2020, 23:59   #51
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

That's not true at all, I support it wherever feasible. But pretending it is more advanced than it is and flaming anyone who disagrees doesn't help anyone.
Old 02 August 2020, 00:02   #52
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I guess that's why this fork exists. It's to remove the parts that would only make sense on a PC, thus making it more maintainable and easier to optimize.
Old 02 August 2020, 00:41   #53
Overmann

So, If one was to try AROS 68k now the best thing would be the 2017 snapshot build? For running Aros on 040/060 hardware. I've tried setting up the latest nightly build in winuae and just get crashes instantly. I don't want to derail this thread, just a heads up as to where to look.
Old 02 August 2020, 00:48   #54
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
That's not true at all, I support it wherever feasible. But pretending it is more advanced than it is and flaming anyone who disagrees doesn't help anyone.
I don't pretend it is more advanced, in certain respects, it simply is. I don't disagree that it has faults and needs work... because it does. I don't attack people who say any of these things. But Hyperion fanboys who only see 3.14/3.2 as the one true way, whilst taking swipes at everything else... well it's open season.
Old 02 August 2020, 01:05   #55
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
So, If one was to try AROS 68k now the best thing would be the 2017 snapshot build? For running Aros on 040/060 hardware. I've tried setting up the latest nightly build in winuae and just get crashes instantly. I don't want to derail this thread, just a heads up as to where to look.

No this is not correct nightly builds, except for the problems mentioned, on WinUAE works well, of course you need to know how to configure and use the ROMs of the downloaded nightly build.

I updated my AROS One 68k with the last nightly build and I had no problems, see video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SiS...CanRehF6y/view
Old 02 August 2020, 07:19   #56
Locutus

I can't find a repository of this fork anywhere, does anyone have a link?

I'd be curious to see a diff set so far against parent master.
Old 02 August 2020, 07:56   #57
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I can't find a repository of this fork anywhere, does anyone have a link?

I'd be curious to see a diff set so far against parent master.
They only started it the day I made the original post. Also, the AROS Public License v1.1 only requires changes be made available upstream, not to the general public like GPL code. I suspect they would appreciate some help completing the Graphics.library if you would be so inclined.
Old 02 August 2020, 09:59   #58
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
And 3.2 is almost certainly only a series of bug fixes and tweaks.
Looks like a whole bit more what is being done with 3.2, to be honest..
Anyway, I like what is being done on AROS as well.

As long as there are fans of each OS and people want to support, it's fine.
Old 02 August 2020, 12:06   #59
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
They only started it the day I made the original post. Also, the AROS Public License v1.1 only requires changes be made available upstream, not to the general public like GPL code. I suspect they would appreciate some help completing the Graphics.library if you would be so inclined.
The first ApolloOS was based on OS3 MagicWB, now and AROS Caffeine "renamed" which has existed for quite some time but distributed privately

[ Show youtube player ]