English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2014, 14:36   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Rocket Ranger Reloaded - Cinemaware's next re-do!

Quote:
Hot off the press, we've just been informed via the Cinemaware press spread that the next Kickstarter is soon to appear and it's none other than another hit game; "Rocket Ranger", or as Cinemaware are now calling it "Rocket Ranger Reloaded" -
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...inemaware.html

Last edited by Neil79; 24 October 2014 at 14:51.
Old 24 October 2014, 14:54   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

One of my all-time favourite Cinemaware games! Looking forward to the "Reloaded" version with much anticipation.
Old 24 October 2014, 16:46   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I want a reloaded of IT came from the desert
Old 24 October 2014, 16:48   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Would be great if they included a version for WinUAE.
Old 13 November 2014, 01:30   #5
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Another big update for the gaming community, as Rocket Ranger; an action adventure game originally developed by Cinemaware in 1988 for a multitude of systems is set to be graphically overhauled through a Kickstarter campaign. Once again developed by the same company Cinemaware, "Rocket Ranger Reloaded" will return to the 1930's-40's with that authentic B-Movie Hollywood style
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...inemaware.html
Old 13 November 2014, 01:51   #6
wanderer
I want an A1000

I really hope they pull this one off, too. Rocket Ranger is a true classic and looks like It Came From The Desert is next (that t-shirt is amazing!). I'll admit the new concept/comic art pales in comparison to the old comic designs but it's not that important and it could improve. The video is interesting - good luck, everyone!

Last edited by wanderer; 13 November 2014 at 02:01.
Old 13 November 2014, 04:42   #7
ransom1122

I was one of the gamers back in the day too never be able to take off right from the start. Lol
Old 13 November 2014, 08:11   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
What ever happened to the promised AmigaOS4 version of Wings?
IIRC it was a stretch goal that was successfully hit.
My thoughts at the time were that the lack of 3D drivers and unity for AmigaOS4 would have made it an impossible task.
Shame, because unfulfilled promises are one of the biggest drawbacks of kickstarter.
Old 13 November 2014, 10:35   #9
wanderer
I want an A1000

The stretch goal was to "make the source and graphic assets available for an external team to implement the AmigaOS version", not to actually create it. Not sure how feasible this was in the first place, though.
Old 13 November 2014, 10:41   #10
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@wanderer, yes I forgot that! Also the KS campaign didn't get funded...
Wonder if the offer still stands?
Old 13 November 2014, 10:52   #11
wanderer
I want an A1000

The campaign was funded. That stretch goal was not reached through Kickstarter ($91,380/$95,000 requested) but they also received money from elsewhere (their website, Steam etc) and that stretch goal was actually reached (I think they confirmed that officially, too). They did release a Mac version.

So yes, I assume the AmigaOS offer very much stands.

update: same offer for Rocket Ranger, no stretch goal required: "We will also make the project freely available for porting to Linux and AmigaOS by any team interested in undertaking these conversions."

Last edited by wanderer; 13 November 2014 at 11:02.
Old 13 November 2014, 13:48   #12
kipper2k

as long as you dont need to use the decoder wheel it would be good
Old 01 December 2014, 12:41   #13
Hanzu
Repairer-Preserver-Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
as long as you dont need to use the decoder wheel it would be good
They made a virtual code wheel for this one:
http://www.gog.com/game/rocket_range..._amiga_edition

The following confuses me:

Pledge $55 or more
...limited-edition AMIGA-FORMAT box!...

Pledge $89 or more
...A custom Rocket Ranger USB stick in a newly designed, limited-edition AMIGA-format box...

Is the first one just a Amiga labeled box without media and is the second one a Amiga labeled box with USB stick the game in some unknown format (.IPF?, .ADF? or something else)?

16 days to reach the goal
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...anger-reloaded
http://rocketrangerreloaded.com/

Old 01 December 2014, 12:55   #14
Strider

I'm looking forward to this. As much as I liked Wings, it would have been nice to have a few new bits in there. This will hopefully manage that.
Old 03 December 2014, 19:40   #15
HogWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzu View Post
They made a virtual code wheel for this one:
http://www.gog.com/game/rocket_range..._amiga_edition

The following confuses me:

Pledge $55 or more
...limited-edition AMIGA-FORMAT box!...

Pledge $89 or more
...A custom Rocket Ranger USB stick in a newly designed, limited-edition AMIGA-format box...

Is the first one just a Amiga labeled box without media and is the second one a Amiga labeled box with USB stick the game in some unknown format (.IPF?, .ADF? or something else)?

16 days to reach the goal
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...anger-reloaded
http://rocketrangerreloaded.com/

The first one is just a box as far as I'm aware. The USB in the higher pledge level will either contain a copy of the game or just the GOG/Steam keys I believe.
Old 04 December 2014, 03:43   #16
Saghalie

WinUAE version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Would be great if they included a version for WinUAE.
I run all my Cinemaware games via WinUAE with no problems. If you're having issues I can supply you with my config if you want.

Regards,

Saghalie
http://www.kcmhosting.com
Old 18 December 2014, 00:51   #17
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
After a very close shave, with only hours to spare, Cinemaware has pushed through a Kickstarter success for their latest overhauled remake of "Rocket Ranger Reloaded". With a big drive from us at Indie Retro News and also thanks to DSOGaming, you'll be able to play the remastered overhauled classic towards the end of 2015.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...ckstarter.html

SUCCESS
Old 22 September 2015, 11:42   #18
dirkies
Zone Friend

Unhappy bad news

maybe you saw last night's announcement, seems the project is doomed

Quote:
Update: Important Message for the future of Rocket Ranger Reloaded

Posted by Cinemaware
For backers only

Dear Supporter of Rocket Ranger Reloaded,
sorry again for the longer time waiting. This was my fault(Sven here), i expected some reply sooner. Silence in a project that you invested in ist never a good option, but we really had to wait for some replies to make a decision. With you, so please read the mail to the end and fill out the Survey (just one question).
So again the important message first, your money is safe and we did not touch anything from the Kickstarter-Money we got from you. But there was also one thing and this is a major issue for us. We reached the goal but not far beyond our target. Also we did not get some bigger payments from backers from the higher levels. We lost about 30k on money that we did not get (Credit cards payment where refused). But we still had to pay Kickstarter and Amazon Fees.
In the last months we tried to get an Investor for RRR but right now it was not successfully. There is also another payment we have to pay at the end of the year and that are taxes. And that is where we have to make a decision with you, the baker, together. As you know and we think we proved it with "Wings - Remastered Edition" we want really try to transfer the feeling and experience from the past to today but for this we have to reach the complete goal. So now to the decision. We have two options. Option 1: We will still work on RRR but need more time. And this means really one or two years more. We really want to produce a game that everybody enjoys like "Wings - Remastered Edition".
But for this we also have to keep on other projects to get money for Cinemaware that we also can use for the production of Rocket Ranger Reloaded. First, we also want to try again to get some new investors and develop smaller projects that will help us developing RRR. But also we will finally lost some money on taxes, but also if its not 100% possible to delevop RRR we won´t touch your money. Option 2: We cancel this Project at Kickstarter and all of you will get your money back asap. So we can fully concetrate on other projects. Maybe Rocket Ranger Reloaded will be not dead, but very far away.
So here is a link to a survey that you can vote for. We will close the survey in 14 Days. http://www.poll-maker.com/poll422797x3e574Ccd-17 Sorry again for the silence, we really want to make this game happen.

Greetings Sven from Cinemaware
Old 22 September 2015, 17:07   #19
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
maybe you saw last night's announcement, seems the project is doomed
I've thought about that several times with projects, knowing that kickstarters lose a a good chunk of their funding with people not being able to (or just not intending to) fund by the time the project closes...

I would hope that any serious kickstarter project would take that into account. In that, if you need $50,000 for the project for sure, make your kickstarter is for $60k.

I would think that "Cinemaware" should have been well aware or this, having done one of these...
But sometimes, people can be overly optimistic, even business people..
(It's possible they were "counting" on some post-kickstarter funding from somewhere that didn't happen also.. )

Too bad..

desiv
Old 22 September 2015, 18:23   #20
wanderer
I want an A1000

Well, it's not dead yet (poll says keep going) but they sure made some dodgy decisions, not replying for a long time etc. Still hopeful though.