English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2010, 11:04   #101
deicidal
Registered Insane

I completed Wolfensteign on my battered old 286
Old 03 December 2010, 11:19   #102
mombasajoe

I´ve had an Amiga 500 1MB, my father a 286 15 Mhz with HERCULES GFX (monochrome) and "Beep beep".

Zak McKracken: Better on Amiga (colours , sound)

Grand Prix Circuit: Nice GFX and sound on Amiga, by miles more playable on 286 (even with keyboard)

Spy vs. Spy III: like Zak

Falcon F16: see GPC, nice but slow GFX on Amiga, really smooth and fast on 286...286 was more fun
Old 03 December 2010, 12:56   #103
s2325
Zone Friend

My 286 loudly died today.
Old 03 December 2010, 22:44   #104
laffer
Zone Friend

I see there is some argument about what is the best version of Dune 2... I have to admit I find the PC version much better.
Old 04 December 2010, 00:02   #105
Monsterland

Ofcourse it is but this is an amiga fanatic forum
Old 06 December 2010, 19:53   #106
mombasajoe

In "Wet -the sexy Empire" the Win95-videos are more delicious than the Amiga-vids.

In "Biiing!" the nice tutorial-vid with the nurse is totally missing in the Amiga-version. On the other hand the DOS-"Biing!" has got a censored golf-room (hole in one)...the Amiga has got the "real thing"...

Wet (Amiga): Wet (Win) = 0:1
Biing!(Amiga):Biing!(DOS)= 1:1

DOS/Win is slighty in the lead regarding just the really important games!
Old 25 October 2012, 17:42   #107
fishyfish
Banned

Bit of thread necromancy here, but Im surprised no-one has mentioned Zool2.
For a game that was supposed to be an amiga game it sure was beaten silly by the ms-dos version (amongst others).
I did still enjoy it on the amiga, but graphics are considerably better in ms dos version, and there's not nearly half the slow down.

A really nice little platformer for the day.

Last edited by fishyfish; 25 October 2012 at 17:48.
Old 26 October 2012, 13:18   #108
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

PC DOS version of Captive had the intro and music where Amiga version had no intro but better sounds. Game play seems to be harder on the PC version for some reason.

Still enjoy the Amiga version better.
Old 26 October 2012, 13:29   #109
demolition
Unregistered User

I generally preferred the Amiga versions of most games back then, mainly due to the fact that the Amiga versions often had better graphics as PC versions were often designed to run on EGA machines. Sound was also better on the Amiga (compared to PC-Speaker or my 16-bit SB compatible soundcard) and the game was generally smoother.

Doom and other 3D games was the exception which worked best on the PC.

Only with a GUS could the PC keep up with the Amiga sound, but it was quite expensive if you wanted a full PC with a decent GFX card and a GUS.

Last edited by demolition; 26 October 2012 at 13:37.
Old 24 November 2012, 19:15   #110
Oldskool Bitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I generally preferred the Amiga versions of most games back then, mainly due to the fact that the Amiga versions often had better graphics as PC versions were often designed to run on EGA machines. Sound was also better on the Amiga (compared to PC-Speaker or my 16-bit SB compatible soundcard) and the game was generally smoother.

Doom and other 3D games was the exception which worked best on the PC.

Only with a GUS could the PC keep up with the Amiga sound, but it was quite expensive if you wanted a full PC with a decent GFX card and a GUS.
I second that. Amiga was incredibly ahead of it's time...
Old 24 November 2012, 19:46   #111
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Ports are worse. This is a general rule for me.
And far too general. It's a matter of the effort (and sometimes money) you put into ports. B.C. Kid e.g. beats the original PC Engine version of Bonk version. International Karate Plus (C64) is also better on the Amiga, or the 16bit Elite conversions. Indy IV for the Amiga shows, that you can do a nice PC graphics conversion with lesser colors.
Old 14 August 2015, 19:47   #112
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Amiga Crime Wave is just degraded MS-DOS version. Heavy cuts in some places but I don't like both versions. You can watch longplay of DOS version on youtube.
review of PC version [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 August 2015, 20:06   #113
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

the only DOS game i ever had is ZZT, nice little text-mode game where you could design your own dungeons. It still has quite a following (or at least it did when i gave it a look back in 2004-ish).
Old 15 August 2015, 05:10   #114
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Interesting thread.
I kept using my A1200 for quite a while in the university when all of my friends except two had PCs but I never really got the chance to compare DOS and Amiga versions of the games of that time.
Playing Ultima VII in VGA on my parents's PC a few years earlier had made me realize how sorely the A500 needed an upgrade even if I did not play the game that much because the PC did not have a mouse which for me was an unacceptable downgrade.
Old 17 August 2015, 19:56   #115
SilentBob

Outrun for DOS looked and played pretty well. Sadly, only internal bleepity bloop sounds tho.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 August 2015, 03:48   #116
beezle
Banned

Off the top of my head:

Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3, Super StreetFighter2, SSF2T, pretty much any point 'n click adventure, Settlers (almost splitting hairs with that one, but dos version has bug fixes vs Amiga), Zool2 (better gfx and less slowdown).

Generally speaking the Amiga struggled to compare favorably in any multi format game from early to mid 90's onwards. While this was at times due to technical shortcomings, it was more often because of the Amiga being an afterthought. It has an unfortunate amount of "lowest common denominator" lazy ports. Stripped back "non amiga-fied" console ports because Amiga hardware sprites, etc don't compare, but also stripped back PC ports because CPU speed, non chunky, fewer colors, etc.
In both scenarios it was often developed for as a weaker version of said hardware, despite the fact that it is a platform unto itself. Near to as capable for a lot of games at the time as a PC or console, just different.
While multiplatform games often suffered during this time, it was also a good period for original Amiga titles.

Last edited by beezle; 18 August 2015 at 07:30.
Old 18 August 2015, 05:02   #117
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

The best you have to do with a pc in 1992 at the same price
than an amiga 1200 is : FORMAT C:
Old 18 August 2015, 05:38   #118
beezle
Banned

I'm often baffled at the prices people quote for PC gear.
When I got my a1200+ 50mhz '030 bliz mk4 "back in the day" it was more expensive than the (fully decked out) pentium 200 system I bought the same week.
As much as I enjoy the Amiga it seldom got touched at the time as it was technically inferior in every way imaginable (apart from the OS, but I don't mind dos anyway). Not to mention the fact that quality games were drying up on the Amiga by this point.

Even a few years prior to that a dx2/66 could be bought for about $500. I got one with an unemployment loan, which could be up to $500, so Im definitely remembering correctly.

All this junk people make up about various computers just to make the Amiga seem better, in my opinion does the exact opposite. If a person feels the need to twist and contort history then one can't help but wonder if the machine they champion has shortcomings that are being glossed over. This of course isn't just an Amiga vs (insert system here) thing, but is obviously prominent on an Amiga site.

All computers can be fun. I really don't understand why some people feel the need to try to dismiss one platform vs another. Especially when the machines in question were archaic 15 years ago.

To each their own I guess, but it seems bizarre to me.

Last edited by beezle; 18 August 2015 at 07:27.
Old 18 August 2015, 16:57   #119
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
I'm often baffled at the prices people quote for PC gear.
When I got my a1200+ 50mhz '030 bliz mk4 "back in the day" it was more expensive than the (fully decked out) pentium 200 system I bought the same week.
As much as I enjoy the Amiga it seldom got touched at the time as it was technically inferior in every way imaginable (apart from the OS, but I don't mind dos anyway). Not to mention the fact that quality games were drying up on the Amiga by this point.

Even a few years prior to that a dx2/66 could be bought for about $500. I got one with an unemployment loan, which could be up to $500, so Im definitely remembering correctly.

All this junk people make up about various computers just to make the Amiga seem better, in my opinion does the exact opposite. If a person feels the need to twist and contort history then one can't help but wonder if the machine they champion has shortcomings that are being glossed over. This of course isn't just an Amiga vs (insert system here) thing, but is obviously prominent on an Amiga site.

All computers can be fun. I really don't understand why some people feel the need to try to dismiss one platform vs another. Especially when the machines in question were archaic 15 years ago.

To each their own I guess, but it seems bizarre to me.
I suppose it really depends on the year and the country.
For instance, in 1989 in the Netherlands, a PC could cost 3000-3500 guilders, while an Amiga 500 cost closer to 1200 guilders.

In 1992 (when I bought my A500), the A500 was about 800 guilders and a PC with VGA and soundcard still cost upwards of 2500 guilders. You did get a 486 DX/2 for that though, so you did get much better hardware for it.

When I bought my Pentium MMX 166 with Windows 95, SVGA and soundblaster in 1996 I know for a fact I paid 2500 guilders (as I needed a loan and I couldn't get any more than that). Which was about the same price as the total cost for my A1200 + Blizzard IV + 16MB + Tower. Naturally, the Pentium was way faster.

In US dollars that would've been about half that for each number.

Don't underestimate how expensive PC's where in Europe. They really where not cheap until quite late in the game.

Edit:

I should add that the PC prices did include a monitor in all cases - in 1989 this would've been a green/green monochrome one, in 1992 and later that would've been a (S)VGA one. The monitor that came with my PC cost about 700 guilders out of the total price. Adding a monitor to the Amiga 500 setup would've cost me about 500 guilders.

Also corrected the A500 price based on an advert from the time.

Last edited by roondar; 18 August 2015 at 17:16.
Old 19 August 2015, 03:06   #120
beezle
Banned

Yeah, I guess I need to remember that prices did vary quite a bit depending on location. Additionally I've always been in the position to buy ex-tax, wholesale prices, which probably skews my perspective a little. I remember "normal" local prices generally seeming quite high too.