English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2014, 03:09   #81
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
I agree that Natami would have been cool if they could have re-implemented AGA, and then built upon that and made SuperAGA work. I was so hoping this would come to fruition. I do think this had the chance of re-vitalizing the platform, but even so, it still wouldn't have made a huge dent in the Mac or PC market shares.

Let's hope Jens' Clone-A will still happen.
Perhaps, it still wouldn't have made a huge dent in the Mac or PC market shares.But i'm sure demomakers will have love it and i think it should have lead to a natami demo winner in a party.
Old 14 March 2014, 06:48   #82
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
But i'm sure demomakers will have love it and i think it should have lead to a natami demo winner in a party.
And I'm quite sure 99% of demomakers wouldn't be interested.
Old 14 March 2014, 07:59   #83
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I would be happy to use a new Amiga as an HTPC - small, low-power, silent - but not just a Linux box.
I would be happy with a new Amiga that's actually an Amiga.
Old 14 March 2014, 14:02   #84
Dan

its obvious that i allowed myself to dream about posibile future of amiga.

Last edited by Dan; 23 September 2020 at 18:01.
Old 14 March 2014, 15:45   #85
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It's good to dream.

But when I wake up in the morning and remember my dream of me flying through space being chased by an army of T-Rexes, I don't try to create that awesome dream. I realise it's absolute balls on get on with my life.

There is no such "thing" as "amiga" any more. It was a bunch of stuff that happened a while back and left a load of awesome stuff in its wake (memories, hardware, nostalgia). Just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 14 March 2014, 17:27   #86
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
before my account gets deleted

but i know now, how Akira would feel, if god sends him back to 1940 to tell the people that in 2014 there will be 3d TV's and Cinemas. >
You shouldn't go, just stay... All days are not bad like yesterday at eab.
Yesterday was surely the only bad day you will have on eab.... There is always a way to make things better.Just come and play klax with us. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=klax .Before taking a bad decision that i can understand, let you some days to think about it.
There is really good and great guys here, sometimes there is sarcasm but like in the real life, but it's not usual here on eab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
It's good to dream.

But when I wake up in the morning and remember my dream of me flying through space being chased by an army of T-Rexes, I don't try to create that awesome dream. I realise it's absolute balls on get on with my life.

There is no such "thing" as "amiga" any more. It was a bunch of stuff that happened a while back and left a load of awesome stuff in its wake (memories, hardware, nostalgia). Just enjoy it for what it is.
I understand your way to think but there is some guys who wants to keep there dreams alive but they enjoy what they have too. And sometimes there is a dreamer who has the money for trying to achieve there dreams , like aeon. This is just dreams, we know the reality of this world but sometime it's good to forget the reality.

Last edited by TCD; 14 March 2014 at 17:29. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 14 March 2014, 18:41   #87
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
before my account gets deleted

but i know now, how Akira would feel, if god sends him back to 1940 to tell the people that in 2014 there will be 3d TV's and Cinemas. >
I'm sorry if I seemed rude, nobody wants you to leave. Everybody here dreams about the possible future of Amiga but I just don't think you understand the significance of the "number of bits". Increasing the bit width of the data bus and/or registers doesn't make a CPU faster, it just means it can handle larger numbers. Maybe the wheels analogy wasn't such a bad one. Adding more wheels to a vehicle doesn't make it go faster; a steam engine from 1885 has a lot of wheels but it isn't faster than a 2014 motorbike. Most applications still don't need more than 32 bit arithmetic.

I thought this was quite a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Archi.../dp/0123704901
Old 14 March 2014, 18:55   #88
brett71

OK, techies and hardware gurus, had another thought come to mind today:

1. Could an ARM processor interface with an NVIDIA 765m GPU, or would there be a technical reason why this pairing would never work? (not enough horsepower from the CPU, bus limitation, etc.)
2. Instead of the traditional BIOS, could a rudimentary GUI and OS be baked into a flashable ROM on a mainboard (like classic Kickstart), but then be built upon and enhanced by software loaded from local storage (HD, SSD, SD card, etc.)
Old 14 March 2014, 19:09   #89
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

1. there is no reason I can think of why an ARM CPU couldn't interface with an nVidia GPU. Well "ARM" is just the core logic, any peripheral controllers can be added to that such as PCIe, in principle. Which ARM core and which GPU would be a good match is a matter for consideration but nVidia have been developing their own ARM-based CPU for precisely this kind of application.

2. check dis http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
Old 14 March 2014, 19:47   #90
brett71

Quote:
1. there is no reason I can think of why an ARM CPU couldn't interface with an nVidia GPU. Well "ARM" is just the core logic, any peripheral controllers can be added to that such as PCIe, in principle. Which ARM core and which GPU would be a good match is a matter for consideration but nVidia have been developing their own ARM-based CPU for precisely this kind of application.

2. check dis http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
Anyone ever looked into MenuetOS? http://www.menuetos.net/index.htm
Old 15 March 2014, 05:40   #91
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 April 2014, 00:55   #92
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Everybody here dreams about the possible future of Amiga
No they don't.
Old 04 April 2014, 05:14   #93
dJOS

Just my 2c ....

I've always thought that for "Amiga" to be resurrected successfully it would need to find a real world niche + appeal to the Amiga community. IMO that niche would be the mid-high end workstation space and to be taken seriously would need to have something special that no other workstation has ..... POWER7 CPU's (they make Xeon's look tame)!

They'd also need to come with Workstation quality GPU's (eg FireGL), high quality professional grade, Hardware powered Audio systems and so on (maybe even a big ass FPGA add-on card too - this could be used for 68k Amiga emulation and serious FPGA dev work as well). From an OS standpoint I'd expect that AmigaOS would need to migrate to a professional grade BSD Unix core (not Linux) to be taken seriously.

Even with all that it'd be a tough ask to grab a profitable market share.

Last edited by dJOS; 04 April 2014 at 05:41.
Old 04 April 2014, 11:47   #94
Gundam
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Just my 2c ....

I've always thought that for "Amiga" to be resurrected successfully ...

Hey Dr. Frankstein, let the Amiga rest in peace, please!
Old 04 April 2014, 15:13   #95
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I'll just grab an Intel Atom-based micro board, slap UAE on it, attach a floppy-drive via USB and call it a day.

It will be called "ATOMIGA" and I'll need 1 Million of $ of crowd-funding if you want AGA on it

You will then be able to bask in the greatness of a "new" "Amiga"

If you don't get it, click here
Old 04 April 2014, 17:34   #96
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I agree with what Djos said above, except I'd have dual Power7 CPUs on a removable daughterbaord, kept cool with a nitrogen oxide pipeline intercooler. As long as we're dreaming here lol. Of course I'd need a second mortgage on my rented flat.

Last edited by lifeschool; 05 April 2014 at 12:31.
Old 04 April 2014, 21:25   #97
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
No they don't.
ok well, some of us do. I do. Then again I have some pretty weird dreams sometimes. Last night I dreamt I broke a piano but then Satan fixed it.

I don't consider Amiga dead, only retired. I would be interested in a new Amiga, but I'd still use my old ones too.

Although dJos's idea for a new Amiga would cost more than my house so I think I'll pass on that.
Old 04 April 2014, 21:42   #98
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Amiga is retro computing. Period! And therefore a small niche anyway. A niche where companies like Icomp, Vesalia, Amigakit etc can survive financially.

New Generation Amigas is a nicheĀ² and there is no way to rebuild something similar in big proportions unless you spend your own money. No sane investor would give you money for that. Discussed a hundred times here i guess. Well till the next thread.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 04 April 2014 at 21:49.
Old 04 April 2014, 21:47   #99
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Although dJos's idea for a new Amiga would cost more than my house so I think I'll pass on that.
You have to give everything to make it happen! It's only the lack of support that keeps the big companies from buying the name and slapping a sticker on some random junk

Just because you give something a name doesn't make it anything like a machine from the 80s. All the home computers and consoles 'died' and enjoy a happy afterlife. Let's join them and give up on those Frankexperiments to make something 'Amiga'... Just my 2 cent as somebody that really enjoyed using an Amiga in the late 80s and early 90s
Old 04 April 2014, 22:07   #100
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You have to give everything to make it happen! It's only the lack of support that keeps the big companies from buying the name and slapping a sticker on some random junk
Sure but I can't give what I don't have. Maybe one day I'll be in a position to choose whether I get a Ferrari or a new Amiga but, well, let's just say I imagine a "new Amiga" as something more like a heavyweight Raspberry Pi than a competitor to existing desktop or laptop PCs.

And I suppose when I imagine a "new Amiga" I don't necessarily mean it has to be marketed as such with the name and badge, just something that fills that particular hole in my computing experience, especially if designed and made by someone from the Amiga community.