English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2012, 14:30   #1
j_sntos

CDTV /CD32 CD-R Burning Advice

Hi, guys. I finally have a cdtv and a cd32 but now i need starting to burn some games to play on this systems. Which kind of cd-r do you use/advice to use on both of this systems. I don't want to spend money on cheap cd-r and then damaging the internal reading laser. Need to some advice on buying cd-rs to burn. Open to sugestions.
Old 14 March 2012, 14:47   #2
Amiga1992

I just use regular 700MB Sony CD-R media. Works well and it never gave me any trouble with any system (PC, Mac, Dreamcast, CD32).
Old 14 March 2012, 17:37   #3
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

I can tell you from experience that 74min [650MB] and 80min [700MB] CD-R's are fine on the CD32.

I've tried 90min [790MB] and 99min [870MB] CD-R's and they just don't work.

From what I can tell the laser can't get to the more dense data region near the centre of the 90/99min CDR's and just fails, I'm guessing the same would apply for the CDTV.

You can get away with "overburning" an 80min CD-R by a few minutes if you are lucky, Depends on the CD-R of course.
Old 14 March 2012, 17:43   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You can get away with "overburning" an 80min CD-R by a few minutes if you are lucky, Depends on the CD-R of course.
Why would you even need to do so? I don't know any CD32 game that would need overburning.
Old 14 March 2012, 17:45   #5
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Smile

People like to make their own Game/Music/Demo compilations and fit as much on a disc as possible.
Old 14 March 2012, 17:50   #6
cpiac64

i use verbatin
Old 14 March 2012, 18:09   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Just use any disc you want at any highest speed it supports.
I have never had one issue with any discs (only issues were when I made iso's wrong, i.e. my fault).
Old 14 March 2012, 22:00   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People like to make their own Game/Music/Demo compilations and fit as much on a disc as possible.
I didn't think of that option, you're right.

As for speed, I thought you were supposed to do them at the SLOWEST speed you can, not the highest. I burn at 10X.
Old 14 March 2012, 22:49   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
As for speed, I thought you were supposed to do them at the SLOWEST speed you can, not the highest. I burn at 10X.
In my opinion, its a myth. Im sure others will agree.
Old 15 March 2012, 00:20   #10
Amiga1992

Well we all have opinions for sure, but it would be great to get some facts from the techies around. I would surely like to debunk this one.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:17   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Well we all have opinions for sure, but it would be great to get some facts from the techies around. I would surely like to debunk this one.
You already have, as you burn at 10x.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:25   #12
Amiga1992

That doesn't mean I am right! It works so I use it, but if it works the other way too, I could use the extra minutes

I would just like to understand where this assumption comes from or how it was created. Everywhere it is said that the speed should be low. Why?
Old 15 March 2012, 10:28   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
That doesn't mean I am right! It works so I use it, but if it works the other way too, I could use the extra minutes

I would just like to understand where this assumption comes from or how it was created. Everywhere it is said that the speed should be low. Why?
How else do rumors / myths get started. Enough people say it then everyone thinks it.
I have never burnt at low speed and its worked everytime. I think even toni wilen agreed its a myth.
I have been working / repairing CD players / recorders for over 11+ years, not once was there a problem (granted you may get the odd dodgy batch of discs).

I think you were talking about overburning but I thought you were still talking about burn speeds.
From what I remember old mechs, will have problems reading the outer most part of the disc (as burners were not around at that time), so they would'nt be expecting someone to over burn a disc.
Essecially, the CD32 mech is a standard run of the mill CD player mech, used by sony for 10+ years. So it will stick to the standards of that time.
Only sure way to know is to try, I will try if I get time.
Old 20 July 2012, 18:48   #14
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Digging up a slightly old thread, but i recently acquired a CD32 and have been burning various discs for it... I've found that burning at either slowest or fastest speeds doesn't really make a difference as my CD32 will read them all with no problems. I've been using the same cheap brand of CD-R's for ages now as they've never let me down (700MB Datasafe - manufactured by CMC Magnetics).

... I usually burn at half the speed advertised to be on the safe side (especially if the discs contain CD audio)
Old 21 July 2012, 02:09   #15
Cammy

CD-Rs with a more reflective surface read better on the CD32 than CD-Rs with a darker surface, even though the darker ones are usually the more expensive name brands. I have found the best CDs to use have a white, printable face with a silver back surface. Avoid those CD-Rs with dark blue surfaces.
Old 21 July 2012, 04:16   #16
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I have never burnt at low speed and its worked everytime. .
I think it's related to the burner and the media,,
I have a burner in my desktop (old) that some of the media I have doesn't work well at full speed.
Wasn't sure if it was the media or the drive or the combination...

I think it is the burner, as the burns I'd make for the 3DO sometimes wouldn't work. (I was always able to read them with a low speed burn in the PC tho, just the 3DO didn't like them.)
But the same media burned for the 3DO at high speed in the other burner in the house worked fine.

So that drive wanted slower speed for better burns.

Also, thanx for the color tips Cammy. I just got a CD Drive for my 1200, and the media I am using doesn't seem to be totally happy yet. I have some of the print-on media, so I'll try that..

desiv
Old 21 July 2012, 12:43   #17
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
CD-Rs with a more reflective surface read better on the CD32 than CD-Rs with a darker surface, even though the darker ones are usually the more expensive name brands. I have found the best CDs to use have a white, printable face with a silver back surface. Avoid those CD-Rs with dark blue surfaces.
The Datasafe discs i use are printable and have a light green reflective surface... They are cheap but they've never failed me in the last few years . I mainly use an Optiarc CD/DVD burner (Sony/NEC) and also have an LG Blu-ray/DVD/CD burner in my HTPC, both work fine although the LG can be a bit loud at higher speeds.
Old 27 February 2014, 15:29   #18
TreacleWench
Amigaaaarrrrgghhh

Well, I've just got my hands on a CD32 and started burning some discs and haven't got a single one to work yet.

I have 3 different CD-Rs; donkey's years old Phillips 700MB and Maxell 800MB with pale shiny blue read sides and more modern Verbatim Lightscribe discs which I use for my Sega Saturn/Dreamcast and have darker blue read sides. No luck with any of those.

I seen some 700MB Maxell's in a local shop, gonna give them a go next. Failing that maybe try some cheaper Verbatim's.

Does anyone have a link to a specific product on Amazon/eBay/(insert_other_retailer_name_here) that they know definitely works? Can't wait to get something spinning right!
Old 27 February 2014, 21:44   #19
Amiga1992

Does your CD32 drive work fine? Tested it with originals?
Old 28 February 2014, 11:23   #20
RetroPaul

My CD32 is really fussy with copies but plays all my originals fine, i'm finally having some joy after digging out an old 8x burner and using Verbatim discs.

My FZ1 3do flatly refuses any burned CD's though, I've pretty much bought all the really decent games for it now quite cheaply (Not that many to collect!)