English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 August 2007, 14:02   #161
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Let's have a look at the list of platforms Sonic the Hedgehog has been released on so far:

Spectrum
I'm sorry? You what?
Old 28 August 2007, 14:05   #162
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe it's unofficial, like SNES or Gameboy version.
Old 28 August 2007, 14:14   #163
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Haha, yeah it was an unofficial conversion tht was trying to get approval from Sega last I saw, but I haven't checked up on it in a while.
Old 28 August 2007, 14:19   #164
P-J

Quote:
Haha, yeah it was an unofficial conversion tht was trying to get approval from Sega last I saw, but I haven't checked up on it in a while.
Where can I find info on it? Google throws up jack shit
Old 28 August 2007, 14:30   #165
Marcuz

there's the precedent of Nintendo smashing the (gorgeous) homemade conversion of Guru Logic Champs, for MSX... big companies don't like much that activities, alas...
Old 28 August 2007, 16:04   #166
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
I can't find it on Google anymore either, damn.
Old 28 August 2007, 16:21   #167
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Sonic ZX
A small demo was released years ago, this was supposed to be the preview of SEGA's excellent multiplatform game SONIC THE HEDGEHOG. Since then, many spectrum users are still waiting for the 8bit version of Sonic. The scope is to setup a programming team in order to build up a shareware version of SONIC the Hedgehog on ZX Spectrum platform.
I have already start working on the graphics and I think that the images are talking by themselves. With the use of eight direction scrolling routine(both pixel data & attributes), I ve tried to create a two scrolling level demo. It worked out quite fast when there was 8 pixels per frame. Of course it is out of the question to keep the game with multiscrolling of the 16bit versions.
The most important in a game like Sonic is the gameplay. It won't matter any Speccy user if the game will be monochrome, we are all used to this idea. But what will all users will expect will be a acceptable level on smooth scrolling accompanied by fast gameplay.

A number of people have already contact me since the announcement of the project on the web.Many of them wanted to contribute in many ways, others were looking forward to get a copy of a demo or a prerelease of the game in their hands.

The only person that has realy contributed on the project is Andrew Owen. A big thanks to him for organising and keeping up working with the project nomatter how busy he has been for the last years.
The project is still running and hopefully it will be finished. The images on the right column are graphics samples of the game. Available up to date source code and music code can be supplied to anyone who is interested in contributing.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/anestis/soniczx.htm
Old 28 August 2007, 17:09   #168
Raid27
I have a joystick

I wish they had released Wing Commander Secret Missions 1 & 2 for the Amiga *sniff*
Old 28 August 2007, 17:11   #169
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Funnily enough I remember this now, and I'm sure I saw that page quite a long time ago (two or three years?) which probably means it's dead.

*Sigh*

//edit : Looks like the last activity on it might have been as far back as 2001!

Last edited by P-J; 28 August 2007 at 17:17.
Old 28 August 2007, 17:50   #170
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
master of magic !
Old 28 August 2007, 18:06   #171
SilentBob

First Encounters. I remember I was really into Frontier, and when I heard another sequel was coming, I started saving up for an accelerator card to make it work smoother on my A1200. I was really disappointed when it didn't make it to the Amiga. (Our family PC was too crappy to run it too). Or maybe it was for the best, since it was a really buggy game. Still, I was really let down at the time.
Old 30 August 2007, 21:30   #172
beanz

Eye of the Beholder 3
Lords of Midnight (all Amiga-ed up)
Old 30 August 2007, 22:57   #173
Legerdemain

Quote:
On another note, I think a lot of people wished at the time that Sonic had been ported to the Amiga like Sega promised. It would be easily possible on ay AGA Amiga, and probably even the A500 with some good programming and colour reduction.

Honestly I think it would have been pure hell to adapt Sonic the Hedgehog (the MegaDrive/Genesis version) to the Amiga without stripping the game of quite some features. Huge sprites, paralax scrolling and layer upon layer (at times) moving independently of each other doesn't exactly make the game suitable for the Amiga hardware, besides, the Amiga lacks a tile-mode forcing the game to using the blitter... and the blitter wouldn't manage to render the game and all it's graphical effects in a fluent 50Hz or 60Hz a second without doing some really efficient stuff... there's just too much happening on the screen.

I'm not going to say that it would be impossible, but claiming it to be easy isn't exactly anything close to the truth. The two most technically impressive platformers I've seen on the Amiga would be Lion Heart and Brian the Lion (what's up with the lions, anyways?)... and Sonic-wise one could look at Kid Chaos and Mr. Nutz, which both feels like they have been designed with Sonic in mind (especially Kid Chaos, which almost feels like a blatant rip-off... too bad it was a catastrophy of a game). I think quite much effort was put into these four games, programming wise, though...
Old 30 August 2007, 23:57   #174
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
A GOOD version of Super Street Fighter II (look at Shadow Fighter, Elfmania and Fightin' Spirit to see what the Amiga 500 is capable of, the A1200 could surely handle SSFII) and possibly Street Fighter Alpha 3, which might need an extra 2MB of RAM to run on an A1200, but is surely possible with a good programmer.
Yes sweety . The A1200 could compete easily with CPS 1/2. In terms of colors and power (256 colors/68000 @ 12 mhz vs 256 colors/68030 )

But 16 mb of Fast Ram would be required since these games use a lot a animation frames.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 31 August 2007 at 00:24.
Old 31 August 2007, 11:03   #175
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I can mention too many adventure games that were never released on the Amiga... but instead I'll go for:

Cyclone

A simple but extremely addictive helicopter rescue game. I used to play it for hours in my Spectrum.

Gyrus

1983 coin-op, one of the few coin-ops I managed to complete!
Old 31 August 2007, 11:18   #176
oneshotdead

System Shock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_shock
Old 03 September 2007, 04:38   #177
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Yes sweety . The A1200 could compete easily with CPS 1/2. In terms of colors and power (256 colors/68000 @ 12 mhz vs 256 colors/68030 )

But 16 mb of Fast Ram would be required since these games use a lot a animation frames.
The Playstation has 3 or 4mb RAM, and it managed SFA3. I'm sure with a few animation frames removed, an Amiga could do it. Maybe a 2mb version with lots of missing animations, as well as a full-on version with everything that requires 8 or 16mb could have been done.
Old 03 September 2007, 11:48   #178
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
The Speris Legacy visually came close (although the demo vere more up to the job than the final version), but unfortunately I don't have many good words to say concerning the game; lack of boss-fights, 'area' based even though it wants to give the illusion that is isn't... and it feels rushed and I couldn't be bothered less with the story. I think I got more disappointed with The Speris Legacy than I got with The Rise of the Robots... just because my hopes were higher when it came to Speris... it could have been the first (and only) truly Zelda-style game on the Amiga with class. But, no.
Speris Legacy rushed? Took fucking ages to write that game
Old 03 September 2007, 11:56   #179
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Does MAME have an option to view and output Video Memory for easier ripping on ingame graphics?
Old 03 September 2007, 13:15   #180
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

F4 in MAME to rip tiles from a lot of games, but you'll have to splice them all back together. Plus find the correct palette!