CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
oh my god :'(
Old 04 March 2016, 13:59   #42
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I honestly don't know... I remember we all used to do weekly backups... probably with CPBackup or something like this. I believe the backup disks were stored offsite too, but I really have no idea what happened to them.

I did have the source for Wonderdog, on an external HD, but this fell to the floor and now has the "click of death"... there were the 2 unreleased DVD games on that HD too :/
If you still have that drive and buy an identical one (second hand), it may be recoverable. I'm sure there's plenty of explanation how to do it on the web. Tricky but doable.

Kamelito
Old 04 March 2016, 15:44   #43
lost dragon

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum and huge thanks for taking time to answer Q's.

These are complete long shots, but whilst your here :-)

Do you have any idea where the UK Press got the idea games like:

BC Racers/Tomb Raider/Scottish Open Golf/Swagman and Thunderhawk were all headed to the Atari Jaguar CD?.

I've 'spoken' to a good few Ex-Core artists and coders, along with Richard Barc.who informed me likes of Edge knew the Tomb Raider screens were mock-ups, but any insights you yourself might have would be most welcome.

Also, claim has always been that a 'team' at Core produced a tech demo for Sega to showcase the power of the Dreamcast off behind closed doors and this was Scud Racer, but so far no-one has been able to confirm or deny this.

Any ideas?.
Old 05 March 2016, 10:57   #44
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost dragon View Post
Hi Dan,

Do you have any idea where the UK Press got the idea games like:

BC Racers/Tomb Raider/Scottish Open Golf/Swagman and Thunderhawk were all headed to the Atari Jaguar CD?.
My best guess, is that most Core games of that era would have been ear-marked for conversion to any new console format I would imagine maybe there was some press release listing these titles
Old 05 March 2016, 10:59   #45
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost dragon View Post
Also, claim has always been that a 'team' at Core produced a tech demo for Sega to showcase the power of the Dreamcast off behind closed doors and this was Scud Racer, but so far no-one has been able to confirm or deny this.
I was never aware of anything like this... Core was not a big company at that time.. maybe 60 or 70 employees, and nothing like this rings a bell
Old 05 March 2016, 11:41   #46
lost dragon

Hello Dan,

Huge thanks for taking the time to answer my Q's, it is very much appreciated.

The vast majority of the 'work' i do on behalf of sites like Unseen64/GTW is looking into the various claims UK magazines made back in the day and the vast majority of times the answers come back, that what we read had little/no grounding in reality, what so ever :-)

Trouble is, many have simply taken said press claims, taken them as fact and then passed off said claims as fact in Lost Games articles, just because they appeared in Mags A-Z and thus the claims have taken on a status that they must be true, as so many mags/sites have said so...
Old 05 March 2016, 12:29   #47
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Which of the Amiga games you worked on are you most proud of? Do you have a favourite?
Old 05 March 2016, 16:10   #48
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Which of the Amiga games you worked on are you most proud of? Do you have a favourite?
I would say Chuck Rock 2... in fact, Chuck Rock was one of the main reasons I wanted to work at Core, and I had always wanted to do a console style platformer.. and when they asked me to do Chuck 2, I was over the moon
Old 05 March 2016, 16:15   #49
s2325
Zone Friend

Was there some serious reason to remove pooping dinosaur from console versions of Chuck Rock?
Old 05 March 2016, 16:21   #50
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Was there some serious reason to remove pooping dinosaur from console versions of Chuck Rock?
Sega / Nintendo guidelines forbid "pooping" to appear in their games
Old 05 March 2016, 17:41   #51
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
I would say Chuck Rock 2... in fact, Chuck Rock was one of the main reasons I wanted to work at Core, and I had always wanted to do a console style platformer.. and when they asked me to do Chuck 2, I was over the moon
Chuck Rock 2 is a very nice game, both on gameplay and technical department... which isn't all that common on Amiga kingdom I remember when my cousin used to visit me, he always wanted to play Chuck Rock 2, which annoyed me because it was a 1 player game

I was playing Premiere again these days, that's also a pretty nice game, which didn't age badly at all. Since you made Premiere, I may finally ask one question I had for years

Why choosing between SFX or Music ?I could never understand why so many Amiga games did that (It was even more annoying when a 8 bits version of the game had both music and sfx!). Martin Iveson had done an awesome job with Wolfchild using both music and sfx, why with Premiere we went back to have just one or another ?

Last edited by Shatterhand; 05 March 2016 at 18:01.
Old 05 March 2016, 17:53   #52
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I was playing Premiere again these days, that's also a pretty nice game, which didn't age badly at all. Since you made Premiere, I may finally ask one question I had for years

Why choosing between SFX and Music ?I could never understand why so many Amiga games did that (It was even more annoying when a 8 bits version of the game had both music and sfx!). Martin Iveson had done an awesome job with Wolfchild using both music and sfx, why with Premiere we went back to have just one or another ?
I don't know, maybe because of the style of music, could not really do it in 2 channels ?

I really did not enjoy making Premiere... what bugged me most was the awkward 2 layers of platforms, and the crappy mechanic of jumping between them...
Old 05 March 2016, 18:02   #53
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You didn't enjoy doing it, or is it just that you were unhappy with the final result? Any problems while working on the game?

So the final word if the game would have the "music or sfx" option was from the musician, not the coder?(Or at least in your experience ? )
Old 05 March 2016, 18:59   #54
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I liked the effort you made on Chuck Rock 2. Whilst the Amiga version didnt have as many parallax layers ingame, introducing that extra foreground layer which the Megadrive version didnt have helped make up for some omissions.

The title sequence has a little more pizazz than the Megadrive as well with the simple deres of the titlescreen that helps lift it up as more than just a rush job.

Was the extras put in the Amiga version lead by your suggestions of "we cant have that, but we could always add that if you draw it." ?
Old 05 March 2016, 19:27   #55
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I liked the effort you made on Chuck Rock 2. Whilst the Amiga version didnt have as many parallax layers ingame, introducing that extra foreground layer which the Megadrive version didnt have helped make up for some omissions.

The title sequence has a little more pizazz than the Megadrive as well with the simple deres of the titlescreen that helps lift it up as more than just a rush job.

Was the extras put in the Amiga version lead by your suggestions of "we cant have that, but we could always add that if you draw it." ?
We definitely wanted the Amiga version to be as "consoley" as possible.. the deres was quite big on the SNES at that time, and we added the classic "SFX TEST" to the options menu too

I think the Megadrive version did have the original foreground parallax too at one point. I looked on the YouTube long play and it appears to mainly be gone (although it's used for the lava and the water in those respective levels, but has lost the element of parallax).

It's just a shame we had to lose the river race sub-game, as I just didn't have time.. the graphics were all done and converted to 8 colours, but the megadrive coders already had a major headstart, as the engine was effectively written for Wonderdog originally.

Haha.. just noticed that whoever knocked together the CD32 version (Rob Northern perhaps??) guffed up the snow effects with the HW sprites

And I also just noticed a few things that could have been improved with a few minutes work :/
Old 06 March 2016, 00:09   #56
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Did people at Core Design know that you were actually Dan of Anarchy?
Old 06 March 2016, 09:35   #57
Cobe

Postovanje Dane,

When you have time I'd like to buy you a beer, if you don't mind I would like you to sign me my physical copy of my unofficial cd32 port of yours Wonderdog http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspo...wonderdog.html
Old 06 March 2016, 10:33   #58
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Postovanje Dane,

When you have time I'd like to buy you a beer, if you don't mind I would like you to sign me my physical copy of my unofficial cd32 port of yours Wonderdog http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspo...wonderdog.html
Well, if you are around this evening, drop by Wats club on Lomina, I will be DJ'ng there tonight Always happy to sign it for you, and I don't drink alcohol.. so a mineral water will be fine
Old 06 March 2016, 10:35   #59
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Did people at Core Design know that you were actually Dan of Anarchy?
Yes, most of the people that were there when I started knew, but over time, as my scene activities ground to a halt, the newer employees did not know, unless something came up in some conversation about demos / scene stuff
Old 06 March 2016, 11:32   #60
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

When you wrote that cracktro for Lemmings (Skid Row) did you have any idea that this would become one of the most widely remembered and most oftenly seen cracktros on the Amiga? Probably by hundreds of thousands gamers...

Would you have done something differently if you had known that this would become one of the top 3 cracktros that really everybody knows?