English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 November 2012, 11:28   #1
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

Using 30GB IDE hard drive inside A600

Is this possible?

I found an old laptop which was only fit for an old version of Linux while having a clear out and thought I'd use the HD inside my A600 seeing that I'm waiting for a CF HD to arrive for my A1200.

Reading the fabulous sticky about CF cards and large hard drives I think I've figured it out. I've found SFS on Aminet but it needs an 020 machine so I can't use this on my A600 (don't think I want to use the 4GB CF inside this machine either)

I thought of using a patched scsi.device (v44.2 by Doobrey) and I think I need HDinstTool (or HDToolBox from WB v3.5/9) and LoadModule (none of these I know where to get them from)

To save me wasting loads of time, would the above work, am I missing something or even barking up the wrong tree completely?
Old 18 November 2012, 13:00   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Have a look for PFS3, it supports 68k

But to be honest the 30gb HDD would be better off in your A1200 and the CF in the A600.
Old 18 November 2012, 13:22   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesideez View Post
Is this possible?

I found an old laptop which was only fit for an old version of Linux while having a clear out and thought I'd use the HD inside my A600 seeing that I'm waiting for a CF HD to arrive for my A1200.

Reading the fabulous sticky about CF cards and large hard drives I think I've figured it out. I've found SFS on Aminet but it needs an 020 machine so I can't use this on my A600 (don't think I want to use the 4GB CF inside this machine either)

I thought of using a patched scsi.device (v44.2 by Doobrey) and I think I need HDinstTool (or HDToolBox from WB v3.5/9) and LoadModule (none of these I know where to get them from)

To save me wasting loads of time, would the above work, am I missing something or even barking up the wrong tree completely?

44.2 would never see larger partitions on my A600.
Had to use comos's last one.
Old 18 November 2012, 13:37   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

PFS3 AIO has NSD support and will work with >4G drives (without need for directscsi) with normal updated scsi.device.
Old 18 November 2012, 15:15   #5
Quagliarulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
PFS3 AIO has NSD support and will work with >4G drives (without need for directscsi) with normal updated scsi.device.
Which version do you mean? OS3.9 BB2 maybe?
I see there are a lot of versions out there; a little summary of pros and cons of each would be nice. As far as I understand, SCSI4345p by Hodges/Wilen addresses the last remaining bug, while Cosmos just made an optimized version (speed/size) of that one.
Old 18 November 2012, 15:35   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

My opinion is that Doobrey's version is awesome for SFS while Cosmos version is awesome for PFS.
With Toni's All-In-One PSF3 version, both these versions work like a charm!!!

Cosmos's scsi.device is a bit faster and it's unified for A600 and A1200.
I was using Doobrey's scsi.device for some time now, but I switched to Cosmos for fun and haven't seen any bugs or issues yet. Getting a bit of speed being stable is nice.

43.45 is stable and bug free but before Toni's All-In-One PFS3 version wasn't working correctly with my big sized partitions over the 4GB barrier.
Old 18 November 2012, 19:09   #7
Quagliarulo

Thanks mfilos for your advice. I'd like to use the classic FFS and a big drive (>4Gb). Is this possible? Which scsi.device will allow this?
Furthermore, assuming I'd choose Cosmos, is the latest version (43.47b1) stable or should I get some previous one?
Old 18 November 2012, 22:30   #8
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

You can use FFS just fine. Just get the latest 45.16 version from the BB4 archive.
I'd strongly suggest you to use PFS3 or SFS instead though.

Anywya, to be able to use it you definitely want an updated scsi.device like the Cosmos one you mentioned.
43.47b1 is just fine and proved stable for the last 6 months that I'm using it.
Old 19 November 2012, 07:23   #9
Cymru

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagliarulo View Post
Thanks mfilos for your advice. I'd like to use the classic FFS and a big drive (>4Gb). Is this possible? Which scsi.device will allow this?
Furthermore, assuming I'd choose Cosmos, is the latest version (43.47b1) stable or should I get some previous one?
I currently use a 146 GB drive on my Amy; i have tried others, but I stopped with a 1 TB SATA drive as my 2 TB was tied up, but the FFS from BB4 seems fine with it all.