English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 June 2017, 09:47   #1
IvanEBC

128gb / A4000 / OS3.9

Hi Guys.

I've done what i thought i had to do keep this out of the forums. I've learnt so much over the past 12 months, but still, this kicks me in the butt, hopefully my procedure makes sense and shows i have done everything required to create it right..... I know understand the procedures... mostly.

Unless specified... this was all done on the actual 4000.

Also did this entire procedure already on a tester 4gb with NO problems....

The 4gb procedure
Emergency Disk Boot (installed pfs3 onto floppy for ease)
HDToolbox (said scsi.device 43.35)
Partitioned 500/3500 (correctly installed pfs3/identifier/max transfer)
Quick format
Installed OS3.9, Boing Bagged 1-4
All running well and been testing for a week, i love it, it runs well.
Only issues i saw after the boing bag 2 update, found info here, solved it, moved on (some scsi.device error)

The 128gb Procedure:
Emergency Disk Boot
HDToolbox w/ SCSI 43.35
Only did DH0 as 1gb with PFS3/identifier/max transfer
(would wait till all boing bags were on to create and install the second partition, intend to be "the rest" at 118gb....read there was better support for large drives in the BB updates)
quick format dh0 only
appeared to work, but at this stage, i decided to copy the tester 500mb DH0: fromt he previosu 4gb directly to the new card so i didn't have to set it all up again.. did this in WINUAE and dopus. All files copied, when booting back into A4000... Crash... error in DH0:
Pretty much outlined here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48611

Our good friend Thomas says .. max transfer is wrong. I loaded up my emergency disk again and checked, nope .. max transfer is 0x0001fe00
There are other suggestions to about using other software but stopped there as the thrread is 8 years old)

The stickied guide here says the scsi.device 43.35 handles 128gb, so not sure if that was it, i put the 43.45 scsi.device onto my emergency disk and the command "c:loadmodule devs/scsi.device" as the first command of the startup sequence of the emergency disk, but when opening hdtoolbox, it still shows as 43.35 (tried a warm boot too and no go)

Lastly, I decided to simply "start again", and why not, its only a weeks worth of mucking around, i created the 1gb/118gb setup under PFS3/43.35/OS39, when i quick format the 118gb, it is showing only as 20gb and i don't want to get down to track to find out something is wrong or maybe everything is okay and it is just os39 unable to cosmetically give me the right numbers for free space (Dopus only shows 993mb! on the 118gb) partition. Making it difficult to really know if i was filling it up or not.

I know that's alot, but really comes down to

a> do i really need to use 43.45 and if so, how do i get that loaded on the emergency disc as my method has failed. REQUIRED/OPTIONAL/DONT BOTHER?

b> do i really need to do this or will the "free room" correct itself or not matter, if i use the 43.35 and start a fresh

c> or can i continue to use the transferred playing around version, but need to solve this DH0 crashing the system (scsi.device?) - and with this, i don't yet know what the 118gb partiiton will look like.
Old 09 June 2017, 10:47   #2
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
Hi Guys.

I've done what i thought i had to do keep this out of the forums. I've learnt so much over the past 12 months, but still, this kicks me in the butt, hopefully my procedure makes sense and shows i have done everything required to create it right..... I know understand the procedures... mostly.

Unless specified... this was all done on the actual 4000.

Also did this entire procedure already on a tester 4gb with NO problems....

The 4gb procedure
Emergency Disk Boot (installed pfs3 onto floppy for ease)
HDToolbox (said scsi.device 43.35)
Partitioned 500/3500 (correctly installed pfs3/identifier/max transfer)
Quick format
Installed OS3.9, Boing Bagged 1-4
All running well and been testing for a week, i love it, it runs well.
Only issues i saw after the boing bag 2 update, found info here, solved it, moved on (some scsi.device error)

The 128gb Procedure:
Emergency Disk Boot
HDToolbox w/ SCSI 43.35
Only did DH0 as 1gb with PFS3/identifier/max transfer
(would wait till all boing bags were on to create and install the second partition, intend to be "the rest" at 118gb....read there was better support for large drives in the BB updates)
quick format dh0 only
appeared to work, but at this stage, i decided to copy the tester 500mb DH0: fromt he previosu 4gb directly to the new card so i didn't have to set it all up again.. did this in WINUAE and dopus. All files copied, when booting back into A4000... Crash... error in DH0:
Pretty much outlined here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48611

Our good friend Thomas says .. max transfer is wrong. I loaded up my emergency disk again and checked, nope .. max transfer is 0x0001fe00
There are other suggestions to about using other software but stopped there as the thrread is 8 years old)

The stickied guide here says the scsi.device 43.35 handles 128gb, so not sure if that was it, i put the 43.45 scsi.device onto my emergency disk and the command "c:loadmodule devs/scsi.device" as the first command of the startup sequence of the emergency disk, but when opening hdtoolbox, it still shows as 43.35 (tried a warm boot too and no go)

Lastly, I decided to simply "start again", and why not, its only a weeks worth of mucking around, i created the 1gb/118gb setup under PFS3/43.35/OS39, when i quick format the 118gb, it is showing only as 20gb and i don't want to get down to track to find out something is wrong or maybe everything is okay and it is just os39 unable to cosmetically give me the right numbers for free space (Dopus only shows 993mb! on the 118gb) partition. Making it difficult to really know if i was filling it up or not.

I know that's alot, but really comes down to

a> do i really need to use 43.45 and if so, how do i get that loaded on the emergency disc as my method has failed. REQUIRED/OPTIONAL/DONT BOTHER?

b> do i really need to do this or will the "free room" correct itself or not matter, if i use the 43.35 and start a fresh

c> or can i continue to use the transferred playing around version, but need to solve this DH0 crashing the system (scsi.device?) - and with this, i don't yet know what the 118gb partiiton will look like.
Hi mate, i've just setup OS3.9 twenty minutes ago, on a 32GB card, whats your issue? i read through your post, but its not blindingly obvious to me.

here to help.
Old 09 June 2017, 10:49   #3
Daedalus

Hmmm, something funny going on alright. You should be able to use the 43.35 scsi.device without problems, though 43.45 is the recommended one. When you checked the Max Transfer, did you check it for each partition on the source and destination drives?

Is the scsi.device definitely being updated? As in, does your system reboot during the first boot, and after that, does HDToolbox show that the new version is in use?

I'm not sure why the emergency disk isn't letting you load the new version, what happens if you type the command in the Shell? It might give you an error message that helps here.

I would sort out the crashing problem first as you never know whether that's something that might affect the other partitions later on or not. However, the free room thing is purely cosmetic. If you are sure the partition is set up correctly, the free space readings can safely be ignored. However, my setup at least shows correct free space on large partitions (it's standard 3.9 BB2), so I would try a BB2 setup just in case the incorrect size is a symptom of a more serious issue.

Thomas' Check4GB was a great tool for checking that everything is ok with respect to filesystems, scsi drivers etc., but it's been superseded by another tool, the name of which escapes me at the moment... I'm sure someone else will come up with it.
Old 09 June 2017, 17:42   #4
IvanEBC

Hi Guys - i made this too complex a question - i've layered about 3 issues in order of this didn't work, can it be solved, if not, can i try this, but i also tried that and had adverse effects... i'm trying one other thing, if no go, i might try again but ask one question at a time.....
Old 09 June 2017, 18:15   #5
IvanEBC

I'm going to leave my original question in place incase someone can work it out and answer me stuff

I've ended up going with a fresh install and starting again, what's another week with my Amiga hey!

OK, so the issue is, using everything standard to setup SCSI.device wise... 43.35, i created 1gb DH0: ONLY. using PFS3.. installed OS3.9, BB1 and then BB2 and stopped there.

I then created the remaining partition in HDtoolbox, while it says i have a 120 CF card, the remaining partition space says 22GB, formatting says 22GB, and now formatted, the space on the title bar of the drive says 22gb..

I get it, it is "likely" cosmetic, but once that 22gb fills up (and i can do that very quickly ) - how on earth will i ever know how much room i have left on there, is there no system patch or workaround to know how much i have left. How are you guys telling how much room you actually have free?

Right now, that's all i've done... i've done no IDEfix or cosmetic changes. but i don't want to travel too far if i need to do this again differently incase DH1 isn't going to operate properly (my previous 32gb card did have this issue too but i think the % free
Old 09 June 2017, 19:20   #6
thomas

There is no cosmetic problem in OS 3.9. If it says 22 GB, then it is 22 GB. Probably the values choosen for Cylinders / Heads / Sectors are wrong. OS 3.9's HDToolbox has a slight weakness there.

Also if you boot from the emergency disk, you don't have to be cautious, you can create all partitions from the beginning. Just make sure that you don't cross the 128 GB (LBA 48) border.

If you want to show me the details of the HDD, please run this and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Then I can tell you how to repair it.

Or just try this: http://aminet.net/disk/misc/fixhddsize.lha
It should be able to add the remaining space to the paritionable area.
Old 09 June 2017, 20:37   #7
IvanEBC

Thanks Thomas, i'll try the fixhddsize and start again... tonight i discover what caused the DH) to crash and give me the suspend/reboot.

Was having a clear run of installing software and after i installed IDEFix97, BANG.... OS39 craps itself. I swear it was on before, but this time .. it kills it. Do i need this on? Everything seems to work without but i've blindly followed what others have suggested, but now thinking i should leave it alone.
Old 09 June 2017, 20:52   #8
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
There is no cosmetic problem in OS 3.9. If it says 22 GB, then it is 22 GB. Probably the values choosen for Cylinders / Heads / Sectors are wrong. OS 3.9's HDToolbox has a slight weakness there.

Also if you boot from the emergency disk, you don't have to be cautious, you can create all partitions from the beginning. Just make sure that you don't cross the 128 GB (LBA 48) border.

If you want to show me the details of the HDD, please run this and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Then I can tell you how to repair it.

Or just try this: http://aminet.net/disk/misc/fixhddsize.lha
It should be able to add the remaining space to the paritionable area.
Soooo Close.....

I run fixhddsize (doing all this on real Amiga still)
It did exactly as you said ... it told me all the cylinders numbers, said it was only 22gb, but should be 118gb, fixed it, exited it, reboot it, run hdtoolbox and the dh1 was only using 22gb and the rest was now empty, so i moved the slider to fill in the rest (destroying dh1 wasn't a real concern).... saved, rebooted .... with dh1:uninitialised ... i clicked it, format, named it, turned off trashcan, click quick format, the usual 3 requesters, but got a "Not a valid DOS disk" error.
The format command was saying it will format 118gb

sooo close ....what now ?
Old 09 June 2017, 23:30   #9
thomas

Which version of PFS3 do you use? With OS 3.9 you have to use pfs3ds or pfs3aio.
Old 10 June 2017, 03:46   #10
IvanEBC

Quote:
Which version of PFS3 do you use? With OS 3.9 you have to use pfs3ds or pfs3aio.
The only version i've ever had and used.

pfs3_aio-handler
69388 bytes
pfs3 v6.0ds (according to the box when formatting)
pfs3_aio-handler v18.5 (According to shell "version" command)
pfs3_aio-handler v2.3 (According to the aminet readme) - (and the file i downloaded that all this come from)

Confusing hey, one file... 3 different version numbers depending who you ask

Last edited by IvanEBC; 10 June 2017 at 04:18.
Old 10 June 2017, 09:08   #11
thomas

Sorry, didn't think of this before: PFS has a partition size limit of 104 GB. So if your HDD is 118 GB and your boot partition is 1 GB, you cannot use all the rest (117 GB) for the other partition. You have to reduce it to below 104 GB and either leave the rest unused or create a third partition.
Old 10 June 2017, 10:10   #12
IvanEBC

Quote:
Sorry, didn't think of this before: PFS has a partition size limit of 104 GB. So if your HDD is 118 GB and your boot partition is 1 GB, you cannot use all the rest (117 GB) for the other partition. You have to reduce it to below 104 GB and either leave the rest unused or create a third partition.
Thanks Thomas.. ok i'll start again and i think i'll move to a 4gb (or 3.9gb to be safe) dh0: and 103.9gb to dh1: (and leave the last tiny bit empty.... or .... actually i don't know, but i'll think about it.... thanks for that update .... i didn't know that limitation - you are a blessing to this community.
Old 10 June 2017, 11:09   #13
ShK
In carbonite

Actually PFS3 AIO max partition size is ~101.5 GB (104*253*253*32 = 213 021 952 blocks).
Old 11 June 2017, 06:38   #14
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Actually PFS3 AIO max partition size is ~101.5 GB (104*253*253*32 = 213 021 952 blocks).
Yep i discovered that.... failed to format and kept gong down by 500mb each attempt till it worked.