English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 02 March 2007, 11:36   #1
AmigaBoy

Decent debugger?

Hi.

Is there any debuggers on the Amiga which are comparable to OllyDBG (or even SoftICE) for the PC? ( http://www.ollydbg.de/ )

Basically I'd like something where I can load in an Amiga executable and step through each line of code. Registers will be displayed in realtime as well as memory, the stack, allows me to make breakpoints, maybe show whether a jump will be made or not, maybe allow me to look for all references to a certain address, etc.
I used to use MonAm which is decent, however it's extremely unintuitive. I'd like something a little more modern and feature filled.

I don't want something like Action Replay or Hrtmon as I want something which only debugs the specific program that I've loaded.

Does anything like this exist?

Thanks!
Old 02 March 2007, 11:44   #2
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Did you try the debugger built into WinUAE (Shift-F12)?

EDIT: Read your post properly, so the WinUAE one is probably not for you.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:00   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Yes, there is something like this. It's the debugger that came with the OMA assembler, simply called Dbug. You can either catch the next task that is run or you can let it catch the next file you load. I guess it's what you want? It only works for system-friendly stuff though, as it uses normal intuition windows for output etc.

You can also use Thrill Kill which is an AR/HRT-Mon like freezer that allows you to debug only the program you loaded ("Catchfile" command).

Last edited by StingRay; 02 March 2007 at 12:31.
Old 02 March 2007, 12:29   #4
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

You can also use the debugger that comes with SASC. From what I have heard it has a zillion+1 features and is the best of any Amiga debugger. It is called cpr which is short for CodeProbe.

1> run cpr MyBuggyProgram
Old 02 March 2007, 14:00   #5
AmigaBoy

Duke:
Yup. The WinUAE one isn't what I need. I use it frequently for general debugging, but it's not much use in this case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

StingRay:
Thrill Kill is very Action Replay like, which is good and bad. Good because it probably does everything. Bad because I was hoping for a sort of GUI like interface. Thanks though. I'll keep it in mind for future.
What's the OMA assembler? I've not heard of it before. I found a debugger on Aminet called "Dbug" but I didn't like it much.

StrategyGamer:
cpr was ok (not great). However once something is running, it pretty much freezes itself until that process dies. That's not exactly what I'm after. Thanks for suggesting it. I didn't know it existed.

I found one which is probably the best available on the Amiga. It's on Aminet. It's called "Disect" ( http://aminet.net/search?name=disect&path[]=dev/debug ). It seems to be very much like what I want, which is great. However, it's only a demo
Anyone have the full version? I'll create a request thread for it, in hopes that anyone that missed this thread may have it

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02 March 2007, 18:35   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Hmm, why would you a need a GUI for a debugger? After all, debugging usually consists of singlestepping through the code and watching the output in the debugger window. Anyway, I don't know which Dbug can be found on Aminet, the one from the OMA package opens some windows on the current screen and you have pulldown menus etc. Once you get used to it, it's pretty useful! I can upload it to the Zone if you want. No docs or anything though as I don't have them. The debugger is not hard to use though.

Last edited by StingRay; 03 March 2007 at 00:12.
Old 02 March 2007, 22:48   #7
AmigaBoy

You're absolutely right StingRay. I don't need a debugger. I guess it's just what I'm used to.

What I do need (which Action Replay, the WinUAE debugger, etc didn't have) is the ability to see everything on screen at once, in realtime.
Also, I'd like if each "section" doesn't change size or position, so as I step through code, I can see what's changing exactly (eg. the registers).

Take a look at a screenshot of OllyDBG to see what I mean: http://images.google.com/images?q=ollydbg . Obviously I don't mind using the command line to set breakpoints, or telling the memory "window" to show a specific section of memory. That's why "Disect" looks to be the front runner on the Amiga. It works well with a consistent screen view (although, I did try to "promote" the screenmode to 1024x768, but the coder seems to have hardcoded each of the window positions and sizes to a smaller resolution. Darn!).

Anyway, if you could upload the debugger, that'd be great. I appreciate yours (and everyone else's) help

Thanks guys
Old 02 March 2007, 22:53   #8
AmigaBoy

um. Whoops.

Quote:
You're absolutely right StingRay. I don't need a debugger. I guess it's just what I'm used to.
I meant GUI. I need a debugger
Old 03 March 2007, 00:15   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Hehehe don't worry, I understood it. I think you may like Dbug as you can arrange the windows totally freely and stuff, a bit like OllyDbg though not really comparable. I'll upload it to the Zone. If you have questions about how to use it, feel free to ask.
Old 03 March 2007, 04:13   #10
AmigaBoy

StingRay:
The DBug that you've uploaded is great. If you have a manual for it, or anything that can help me use it, I'd appreciate it. At the moment, I'm trying to do simple things like change to a different address in the "Memory" window, but I can't figure that out
I discovered typing ? brings up a list of commands:

d - Devices
i - info about current task
i $x - info about task at address $x
l - Libraries
p - Ports
r - Resources
s - Interrupt servers
t - Tasks
? - Help

however none of those are related to changing any of the content in the windows.
Also, it doesn't seem to catch all tasks. I find myself having to start a task, find out its address, and manually enter it. I don't mind this so far, but I may come into some executables where I'd need to catch it from the beginning. Any idea how to achieve this?

It's looking good. I just need a little help.

Thanks!
Old 03 March 2007, 08:02   #11
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I have heard that the Barfly debugger is really good also. You should probably check it out.
Old 03 March 2007, 11:14   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Also, it doesn't seem to catch all tasks. I find myself having to start a task, find out its address, and manually enter it. I don't mind this so far, but I may come into some executables where I'd need to catch it from the beginning. Any idea how to achieve this?
Yes I have. Here's how I usually do it: Open Dbug and a shell. With Dbug active, press either Amiga+W or select "Catch WB / CLI" from the menu. Then switch back to the shell and enter the name of the program you want to debug. Et voilá, you will see Dbug has catched it and you can debug it from the very beginning.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:37   #13
kamelito
Zone Friend

Hi
There's also Adebug its very similar to Monam but use low level screen etc. To me its the SoftICe of the Amiga.
It should have been opensourced years ago but its not
Googled Adebug to find out more about it.

Kamelito
Old 03 March 2007, 12:37   #14
kamelito
Zone Friend

Did you checked PowerVisor ?
Old 03 March 2007, 13:03   #15
kamelito
Zone Friend

Re,
The source code of Adebug has been released but only for Atari ST.
I sent a mail to the guy who released it to know if an Amiga version of the code is available or not.
I'll keep you posted
Kamelito
Old 03 March 2007, 18:46   #16
AmigaBoy

StingRay:
Yes. That does indeed work. Thanks for the pointer!

kamelito:
I tried PowerVisor, but didn't like it much. Thanks for suggesting it.
I searched for ADebug and found the sourceforge site (as well as the www.brainstorm.fr site), but I can't find any downloads. The screenshot I saw however is very much like SoftICE. Very cool.

StrategyGamer:
You win the prize. Hooray! I chose Barfly's debugger.

For those that haven't tried it, it's great. It's got a lot of power with a simple to use interface. The only thing I can't figure out how to use properly is memory watchpoints. For example, I want to set a watchpoint at an address and watch for when that byte changes. I just can't figure it out. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I appreciate it.
Old 03 March 2007, 20:37   #17
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Memory watchpoints are easy in SASC debugger.
Old 24 March 2007, 15:12   #18
kamelito
Zone Friend

Hi I spoke to the ST guys who released the source code of Adebug for AtariST and he told me that it can be compiled for Amiga by setting a flag.
Kamelito