English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 August 2006, 14:05   #1
Aminut33

Slow Folder Files Display

I have installed workbench 3.1 which is running via winuae v1.3. The problem is when i click to open folders the content takes ages to display. prefs about 13 seconds, c folder about 2 minutes. The strange thing is that when i reboot everything is fast initially. I can click into the c folder and all files are displayed within about 2 or 3 seconds but when i close the folder and then re-open the time to display all files takes about 2 minutes. I have the same problem on the games partition. I have installed winuae quite a number of times previously trying out different setups etc so maybe this has had some effect as first time i installed winuae i never noticed this problem. No amount of reinstalling winuae fixes this problem now.

Old 09 August 2006, 14:34   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Use CPU 68020, enable JIT and change cache size to 8MB. (All in CPU tab of WinUAE)

This should speed them up.

You should use WinUAE 1.3.1 (latest) which is fix release.

Why you don't use classic wb P96 edition?
Old 09 August 2006, 14:44   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps the usual "Lower active priority and/or adjust CPU Idle setting in cpu-panel"

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 09 August 2006 at 14:50.
Old 10 August 2006, 02:52   #4
Aminut33

CPU 68020, JIT and cache size to 8MB was already set. even tried cpu set to 68040. Made no difference.

I set winuae to high priority in task manager but made no difference.

Uninstalled winuae v1.3 and installed v1.3.1 still problem remains.

Have already tried various packs such as "amiga in a box", "Amikit" and Amiga Forever" and still get the problem so I am doubting classic wb p96 will fix the problem. but will give it a try.

I note that also hitting F12 key and then clicking O.K tab to go back to workbench fixes problem but with same effect of only allowing 2 folders to open speedily and then resetting back to very slow display of folder content until F12 or reset procedure repeated.

Old 10 August 2006, 08:30   #5
thomas

Quote:
I set winuae to high priority in task manager but made no difference.
Try "below normal" instead. Use WinUAE's priority settings, not the task manager.
Old 10 August 2006, 16:28   #6
Aminut33

Tested with winuae priority setting at below normal and tried above normal. Problem remains.

The problem appears to be with the uae graphic mode as now set prefs back to basic mode and everything working fine. Although now the uae graphic option settings in prefs are gone.

I previously installed workbench several times following the guides but after installing picaso would never have the uae graphic option (i did tick the uae option in picaso) and would have a basic display although everything worked speedily. The only way to get higer resolution display was to install an add on like amikit or Amiga forever but then the problem with the folder files diplaying slowly would be be the result.
So I am left with 2 options. Either a very basic display and everything working fine or a slow setup but with higher resolution and intollerable to use.

Old 10 August 2006, 21:27   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

What's your RTG ram set to?

Also what other ram options do you select in your config?

I never had problem installing Picasso, but I have to admit that I haven't tried in ages. (at least not in last year)
Old 11 August 2006, 19:49   #8
Aminut33

Restored from archive back to setup with the problem and can confirm ram set as follows,
slow none
z3 fast 8mb
rtg 8mb
tried increasing the settings to
z3 fast 512mb
rtg 32mb
but extra memory makes no difference.

The other settings are
cpu tab
jit
fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing
cach size 8mb
force settings unticked

chipset tab
AGA
sprites and sprites vs playfield
emulated 100% accurate

I have played about with the tab settings but nothing fixes the problem. Maybe the registry messed up from all times i installed different setups.

Rom tab
Cloanto rev 40.68(512k)

Old 14 August 2006, 12:28   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try disabling audio emulation, sometimes it can cause huge slowdown in JIT-modes.