English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 November 2005, 10:22   #1
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

NTSC Software On A Pal System ?

I was just wondering if NTSC software will work ok on a PAL system ?

Or will it work,but display in black & white ?

Or will it not work at all !
Old 05 November 2005, 11:31   #2
OddbOd

Yes it will work just fine and in colour. You would have to be very unlucky for it to display in b&w and even then the software itself will still run correctly.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:37   #3
thomas

Games usually don't care if they run on PAL or NTSC machines. However, if a game does not correct the timing, it will run ca. 20% too fast. And the lower 1/4 of the screen will be empty.
Old 05 November 2005, 16:56   #4
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd
Yes it will work just fine and in colour. You would have to be very unlucky for it to display in b&w and even then the software itself will still run correctly.
Thanks for the information,i thought as much......but wasn't sure....Thanks !!
Old 05 November 2005, 23:48   #5
Jope
-

The Amiga won't run in black and white, but if you're using the composite out and your TV doesn't recognise 60Hz PAL, it might switch to NTSC mode and thus be unable to decode the PAL colour signals the Amiga is sending..

Basically with an Amiga "PAL" and "NTSC" are just screen modes with different resolutions and refresh rates. What comes out of the machine is either RGB, which is not encoded with any colour system, or composite video, which is always PAL if you have a PAL machine.. Not like for example the Playstation where the video encoder chip can actually change colour systems if so instructed.
Old 07 November 2005, 01:30   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Ahhhh

to quote a smart amigan

@Thomas
Games usually don't care if they run on PAL or NTSC machines. However, if a game does not correct the timing, it will run ca. 20% too fast. And the lower 1/4 of the screen will be empty.
@

any one remember RUNQUAD? or RUNNTSCQUAD? damn on a stock A12 with a lil fast mem it was a life line for UFO, WingCmdr and Frontier to name but a few... (even Doom )

i am sure you can find it on aminet NTSCQUAD ... well worth it..... needs RUNIT i think... hmmm going back some here..... pre my 060.... thats pre 1995.......
Old 07 November 2005, 19:11   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
Ahhhh

to quote a smart amigan

@Thomas
@

any one remember RUNQUAD? or RUNNTSCQUAD? damn on a stock A12 with a lil fast mem it was a life line for UFO, WingCmdr and Frontier to name but a few... (even Doom )

i am sure you can find it on aminet NTSCQUAD ... well worth it..... needs RUNIT i think... hmmm going back some here..... pre my 060.... thats pre 1995.......
Why not just use the erm.. quote/unquote flags?
Old 21 November 2005, 02:23   #8
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

I had one (cracked) game that wouldn't work on my PAL A500. It had a cracker bootblock that let you click the mousebuttons to change PAL/NTSC mode (which worked correctly, leaving blank space at the bottom in NTSC mode) but when the game loaded to the title screen, the screen was flickering/rolling... looked like it was trying to display NTSC resolution but my TV couldn't sync to it.
Can't remember what it was... might have been Pang?