Old 14 July 2008, 16:55   #21
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
i got an 1 gb cf card for £7 from tesco

james
Old 14 July 2008, 17:05   #22
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

You don't need a 1GB CF card...keep in mind that an ADF file is only 880kb...that's less than 1mb...1GB=1000mb!!!!
Old 14 July 2008, 17:32   #23
dword

I dont mind payin for the 1gb as it may come in handy for other things so long as having 1gb doesnt cause conflicts, I also think I understand how my sd card doesnt work because it isnt type 1 or 2....I believe. My pc definatly has multi-slots on the front one of which says CF II/CF II/MMD , its quite a wide slot about as wide as a sim slot but thicker but just in case Its not right Im looking into CF readers as well but Im banking on the fact I have correctly identified what I have on my PC as a cf reader.

Im guessing amigakit will be at work so I will speak to him when he gets back. I think Im nearly set though thanks to all the help but after that I will give amigakit some peace hehe
Old 14 July 2008, 17:51   #24
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
Windows 98 or your Amiga can format to 720 KB, Windows XP can use this size but can't format it.
Yes it can...

format a: /t:80 /n:9

Old 14 July 2008, 18:33   #25
dword

Dammit one thing after another, I need to use a second credit card to purchase that 1gb compatible stick but it wont let me buy without buying the hole dam kit again I want to buy through the option button on the kit page so I know that its definatly compatible. What a carry on, I hope customer service gets back soon. Can someone link me a 1GB stick for £10 of the site please ? Failing that if someone in the know can give me an exact link to a compatible 1gb cf flash stick from another place please let me know

Last edited by dword; 14 July 2008 at 18:38.
Old 14 July 2008, 19:21   #26
amigakit.com

Hello,

You can call us at anytime during the day- amigakit is our work ;-)

You have a payment link sent across for the 1GB card

Hope this helps.

Any problems, please get in touch.

Dont worry about using the EasyADF software- it is designed to be very straight forward.
Old 14 July 2008, 19:36   #27
dword

Wow , I expected to be waiting 2 days to get this sorted! Superb!

Payment is made!, BTW someone phoned my house up and said if I have any probs I can phone, thats class. Plus speaking to a real person makes all the differance. Company phoning me up to assure me that everything sorted out, thats a first!

Nice one, kinda shocked as all other purchases I make from other places = auto-responder. That seems like a cool system you folks have going I hope as the company gets more people using it you can keep it working like that

Regards
dave

I will just try and post back in a week or so when I have everything setup that way people who havent done this before like myself will know exactly what they have to buy from your shop
Old 15 July 2008, 14:34   #28
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Yes it can...

format a: /t:80 /n:9

You are using the old DOS, not Windows XP!
However thanks, it could be useful...
Old 15 July 2008, 14:57   #29
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
hi dword this is an amiga community where we do things slightly different
I agree it must all seem a bit daughting at first but it wont take long before you get the hang of it

Big up to amigakit for the following up

Though to be sure a computer without a harddrive is like a car without an engine
if you can`t get a small (sub 4gig) 2.5" harddrive then do what fc.studio suggested with the cf adaptor its the modern way to go..

most of all go at your own pace and check back here often
Old 15 July 2008, 16:11   #30
dword

Totally respect what you folks are saying about an HDD , my plan is just to do things as basic as possible and kind of make do for a month or so after which time I will look into getting an amiga HDD + any needed HDD adaptors from amiga kit.

The hardware side of things I am kinda out of touch with in some respects thats why Im just starting slowly , doing it the way amiga kit says I can just get good with the software and stuff then once Ive used my amiga 1 month and done some reading on the system I will have a look inside my amiga, find out what its all got and then look into optimising it more

Yeah I appreciate the help from the amigakit guy as well, I was just worried but once I actually spoke to them I was cool.(Thats why once I know what Im doing I will put everything down so that it helps others like myself who are a bit brash and dive into things head first lol) Its just other companies well its just like your a statistic dealing with autoresponders and getting put into queues, Its funny though my item from amiga kit shipped today and I only ordered my final item yesterday! I ordered my amiga from ebay , it shipped today at the same time and I ordered that a couple of days earlier than the amigakit stuff so I cant complain. (Reallly good service, even though I was panicing a bit in initially )

Thanks again for all the replies , you see even though I have the adf kit I bought a null modem cable and Im going to see how many differant ways I can achieve adf transfer to FDDs as I enjoy doing things like this and dont mind the software side of things at all)

Edit :

I got my amiga! WHich is great but it didnt have a RF cable which I specifically asked for , so I had to make a really bad one by hacking up some cables lol (BTW this was my ebay purchase not amigakits stuff, that all arrived on time)

I was a bit of an anticlimax since I aint relly going to be able to use my amiga properly until I get the RF cable(actually just ordered 1 RF + 1 scart though)

I figure at even though my makeshift cablke is bad an messes the sound up i.e I cant get 100% good tuning because of it well at least I can mess about with the adf software and load up on games , also the mouse I got works but the left mouse button well the click is out of it, I still think I got a good deal at 39.99 but in hindsight and to anyone who gets an amiga of ebay , get one about £80 with fastmem in it, an HDD , A fDD, mouse etc and make sure everything you can need is included , its just ideally and although its gonna take a bit of time I will be getting an HDD , new mouse, all the memory upgrades available for my 1200 since I dont think I have any mem above the stock. So to anyone going to buy an amiga well by the time I get all the stuff I need and including what Ive bought its going to come to much more than £80 so If I bought the more expensive ebay comp I would have saved big time as Im sure that had extra memory and other stuff. (Its all good though as at least I will learn about it all and I still reckon I did okay because I guess it could be argued that amigas are a collectors item.)

Anyway Im away to try setting up some adfs I think I will need some blank amiga FDDs soon , however I will check back this post and see what the script is with using FDDS or I may just try and run them of my 1gb flash drive, will see where this takes me. (NB Hope the tape doesnt come of that makeshift cable when Im not looking lol - at least I know the amiga works though this is the good thing and its not the amiga so much as I like to buy everything in the one place as much as possible as I find that way theres much less chance of things going wrong on so many levels but I have all that in order now but am dieing to play my amiga when I get a proper scart hehe)

Quote:
hi dword this is an amiga community where we do things slightly different
I agree it must all seem a bit daughting at first but it wont take long before you get the hang of it
Yeah Ive still a fair way to go but I feel much better now I have proven at least to some degree that the amiga works, however will feel even better once I can throw away my makeshift RF cable

update:

I tried that format command in xp to format a 1.44MB disk to a smaller size, in amiga it gets listed as DF1:??? , I do the format command in the amiga because amiga cant read the disk but it keeps saying the disk is write protected even though it is not. Also I went into WB 3.0 /dev/dos drivers , in that drawer is an option PIPE: , I click it and it says pipe already mounted and I cant find anything else aboout dos . The drawers are utilities,WBSTARTUP ,prefs,devs,system,wb startup,expansion. Thats me 100% away to try out the adf kit now but I would like to get accustomed to the differant ways of doing things

Update:
Got it all working and I think I know how one of my previous attempts at following a guide for people without adf failed, Its because one of my FDDs is not reading 100% , IVe pretty much verified one isnt 100% but now Ive managed to get all the adf software installed it is really just a 5min job as its so easy to use that is assuming your amiga hardware is in good condition. Im so glad to just get that check all out the way because say I had left it well I could have been sitting with blown hardware. I am definatly going to get a HDD and memory asa I can afford it but this is still a great way to start out and theres still a heap I can play. You see running elite 2 from the floppy there was a slight slowdown but Ive installed adf on my flash drive so Im going to try running elite 2 from there to see if theres a performance increase, I dont think so since I never seen the FDD getting read much at all during flight so my newbie guess would be I need some kind of memory expansion first and foremost. A bit down the line I may write a dummies guide for this specificd way and have someone obvious stuff in it like how to make sure you dont overwrite the adf software(Vast majority on here are way above this ability wise but it will maybe save the people at amiga kit some headaches in future)
Update:---------Considerations
Just found out thanks to the team at amigakit that there is a high high chance I have a faulty video port, initially I thought it was the cable but when I checked it , it the wires seemed fine. It also makes alot of sense because just milling over what the guys said, I think I also remember vaguely that being a problem with many of my friends amigas when I had my 500+ maqny moons ago. I also got a mouse from amigakit because my mouse from ebay well one of the buttons was damaged, however the one I got from amiga kit I was told was second hand however if I got this thing and it was said to be new I wouldnt have known because the amigakit mouse is in such great condition.

Some of the lots of minor glitches Ive had with the non amigakit gear has caused me to throw a hissy fit swometimes lol but respect to the team at amigakit for staying patient and really helping me to see what was what.

Im writing all this to help any newbie whos conside3ring going this route, so yes my amiga works and I still did about okay for the money I spent but if I had known in advance all the problems and about the RF lead missing, dodgy floppies, dodgy power lead etc, I could have used the money I spent to buy a fully upgraded amiga for a little more cash and in full working order. So in summing up I would stay away from ebay and get all your stuff from amiga kit, if for no other reason than to have piece of mind that they aint selling stuff unless its known to work and you basically know for a fact its a geniune bunch of people who are dedicated to what they do and thus put out decent quality gear.

I reckon if I were to do it again in future I would probably save up £150 approximatly maybe and see what that can get you, but in reality and Im just thinking if you want lots of ram and a catweasal + an amiga with enough power+HDD and all the adaptors you may be talking more than that.

On the other hand you can go the route I went , and just use your amiga formost but not all games, put up with a few glitches and just use it as a means to writing adfs to disk and maybe as a machine to save games on to get past bugs in emulation - for that alone it still makes it worth it but hopefully my post will let people know in advance the best route to go , Im still happy but just wish I had came on went amigakit all the way or arranged a buy on this forum.

BTW I read on certain forums that the emulator loads just a little slower than a real amiga, I must say Ive found the emulator winuae to load alot faster. Another positive thing with an amiga is at least keeping yourself within the law for using roms + in my case I get to play all the infocom text games on an authentic amiga, this was my initial goal but now I have "the bug" and I want to start learning to build them lol so thats another thing for prospective buyers to consider , once you see it all working you will start wanting to add more and more to it , especially when you start reading the games forums on here and get major nastalga , you will want to be able to play these games! - As for the amiga ADF software , its dam good.

Last edited by dword; 18 July 2008 at 18:12.