English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 April 2006, 15:46   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

Floppy disk An Amiga site with almost every Amiga game (adfs and cds). Good idea/project?

Hi, What would you say about an Amiga site that hosts almost every Amiga game there is?, both floppy and cdtv/cd32?

It's not impossible and could be done by me and Hipoonios. We could get the fastest broadband available where we live and could get lots of 200+gig harddrives.

But... would this be totally illegal??? Would we get in trouble???

There's already alot of sites on the web with amiga games, and they have been running for years.... so my guess is that it shouldn't be any problems. But still want to know before anything is done. I know that some games are still being sold, and those games would of course not be on the site.

This would be the super duper, ultimate Amiga game download site.
Old 09 April 2006, 15:56   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

That is a fantastic idea Ironclaw and one that has my 100% backing!!!

Obviously I can understand it would take a reasonable amount of time to get a site with ALL forms of Amiga files on it. I know a lot of people frown upon it, but how about advertisements as well to generate income to help pay for all the equipment you need?

As for getting into trouble?..........naaaaaah!

Go for it!!!!!
Old 09 April 2006, 15:59   #3
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
I like the idea, would be a great thing to have a site with all the goodies! After the problems of some eab members with their ftp's i foresee some legal issues, but dunno about the swedish law. It would be too bad if you are forced to close down the site just because you have a single, still copyrighted, adf online...
Old 09 April 2006, 16:15   #4
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

That's the only annoying thing Adderly, near enough everyday i'm downloading ADF/HDF or others of some sorts from various sites and getting rather frustrated with half of them going down from day to day. Planetemu is about the only one i've never had any trouble with. Amiga Power is playing up. Ancient Toys is sometimes veeery slow. Amiga World of Classics is rather limited. As for the classic Back 2 Roots....

At the end of the day, it all boils down to time and money and commitment. Adverts really is the only source of income these days or even subscriptions (which do put people off unfortuantely) but I would be willing to subscribe to, if I knew I could download anything Amiga-wise.

I'd still say go for it and prove to all the existing sites it can be done!!

I want to see the Amiga emu scene live on forever!!!

Last edited by quahappy; 09 April 2006 at 19:01.
Old 09 April 2006, 18:01   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think you'd be closed down pretty quickly tbh.. but it is a good idea and I support it totally and will help "stock" it up :P
Old 09 April 2006, 20:06   #6
Marcuz

i don't think it's neither a good or a bad idea: the storage of amiga disks is per se a good thingh and the availability also; but there are already tons of sites with a large bunch of stuff; the things that still are not accomplished by none are about the completeness of the chosen formats.
for instance: planetemu has a fairly incomplete tosec archive wich being pretty old both defects many disks and has a big number of uncorrect dumps in. also, is the strain of assembling and puttin together the unending copies of [a] disks in a tosec archive commendable in face of setting up yet another "has it all" archive?
on the other hand there are sites that don't go along the tosec format that simply host a selected number of classics, i think for insatance to Amiga Island; this one create further problems to tosec renamers, because of CRC not recognised (at least some time ago, i'm not that up to date) but you could host instead a selection of tosec games. if you would do so there would be little point however on such a site.
my suggestion would be to at least wait for some months and see if the the various renamers here and on tosec get out with new dats wich would allow you to skip the duplicates or else go for host a gamebase amiga set.
Old 09 April 2006, 20:11   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

Planetemu doesn't have any amiga cd/cdtv/cd32 titles...only floppies and some on hdfs.... we would have them all.
Old 09 April 2006, 21:08   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

It's an excellent idea but putting it up as a site in the public domain is just too dodgy, I dont think you would last a few weeks before you were shut down
Old 10 April 2006, 00:27   #9
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
Planetemu doesn't have any amiga cd/cdtv/cd32 titles...only floppies and some on hdfs.... we would have them all.
that's right, but my 2 cents is not to waste time on floppies right now
Old 10 April 2006, 03:05   #10
Olecranon

Heck, I'd love a site where I could get all the old applications in addition to games. It blows my mind that its harder to find stuff now, than it was 15 years ago.
Old 10 April 2006, 04:55   #11
gizmomelb

and of course it'd have to have an Ami-Express look and feel to it
Old 10 April 2006, 07:39   #12
scifi
Resurrected...

Thumbs up Excellent idea Ironclaw

I totally support your idea! It is such a tough endeavour but there's a point to this effort!

As HOL is the largest database concerning Amiga scene, your site will be the largest database of various format of Amiga games and programs and just all in one site!

As for the legal thing... there are plenty of sites collecting and distributing retro games on the open with collections of PC games till 1998!!
Old 10 April 2006, 12:34   #13
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Great idea.

But when I want a complete TOSEC or good set, I use bittorrent. The easiest way to get the latest sets.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:55   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron
Great idea.

But when I want a complete TOSEC or good set, I use bittorrent. The easiest way to get the latest sets.
yes and downloading the entire games set in 3gb (Solid 7zip archive) sounds alot better then the 30gb or so it it takes up as zipped files!
Old 10 April 2006, 14:24   #15
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Bah, Usenet guys.... a single upload would allow EVERYONE to download it at FULLSPEED for 4-8 weeks depending on how good their Usenet provider is.

We could have a full upload every 8 weeks or so and incremental uploads as/when TOSEC update dats.

Got to the the only way to go.. IMHO
Old 10 April 2006, 14:46   #16
Ironclaw
Banned

We already know how we would have done this. You would have a limit to download each day and at a fixed speed. If registered at a cost of like 10 bucks, you could download as much as you wanted for a week and stuff..... We already know how we would do it.

But... seems like it's too risky so this project wont happen.

Only thing that would be legal to host are all Amiga demos.... but I'm not much of a demo fan..... but still... maybe could do the ultimate amiga demo download site instead?....
Old 10 April 2006, 14:46   #17
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I think it would be AWESOME to have all Amiga/CDTV/CD32 games in one place... again I think you would probably run into trouble with the legality of it - but I'd love to see it happen (and to get a copy of course )
Old 10 April 2006, 16:33   #18
wanderer
I want an A1000

I'd love to see it too, but you 'll probably get into trouble.
Old 11 April 2006, 19:45   #19
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Make sure the server is located in a country like e.g. Romania - you won't have any legal troubles there
Old 11 April 2006, 20:58   #20
demoniac

I fully support the idea as I don't want to download the latest TOSEC update just to get a couple of images. Usenet has the same issue as it is easy to miss a few images from a flood. Invite only would reduce the amount of grief.