English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 December 2016, 11:33   #1
JonSick

Old Digita Wordworth files

So, I have finally come across some floppies with some of my old Wordworth documents on there. At least I presume they're still on there. While most will be rubbish that I don't need, I'd like to get a few things transferred over. I am not fussed about maintaining font information, just the text is fine. One example being a book I started when I was younger that I fancy finishing (IIRC, it's about 150 pages in), some lyrics for an old band I was in, various other things.

So a couple of questions.

What precautions should I take with regards the physical disks? I haven't inserted them into an Amiga yet as I thought I should get advice first. They have lived in a small disk box since forever and appear in good condition. They have been kept dry for all that time bar the last year or so. That is, they were moved to a shed sometime in the last year so have been exposed to at least one winter. I have set my machine up again and a lot of the disks in the other boxes appear to work just fine. But want to be safe than sorry as this stuff can't be replaced if I nawls it up.

Second, should I be able to get the document files off onto my Amiga's CF card and transferred to PC, are there any applications which can convert the old Wordworth file format to a simple txt or doc format? Or even, is there a straight up text editor on the Amiga I could use to do some copy and pasting on the Amiga side prior to transfer, that's all useful information.

Thanks in advance
Old 08 December 2016, 12:45   #2
emufan

yep, it is a bit risky, but if other floppy disks from your stack were working,
chances are hight, your precious ones will work too.
but wait a little longer, until some expert gives some real advice

once you rescued your files, or made some adf from the floppy, using TSGui from aminet,
you will be able to use wordworth on amiga and export the text to something else, see image attached.

#1) just to make that sure, enable write protection on your floppy disks,
in a hurry bad things may happen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	export.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	51235  

Last edited by emufan; 08 December 2016 at 12:51.
Old 08 December 2016, 12:47   #3
daxb

If the disks and disk drive are ok then just open the files in WordWorth and save as (on other medium) RTF, WordPerfect 5.1 or ASCII-Text.
Old 08 December 2016, 12:56   #4
JonSick

Ah yes... I forgot that Wordworth can save as RTF.

I think that the disks are Wordworth Outlines disks so technically should boot into Wordworth directly. Hopefully. I'm just waiting on a new pack of floppy disks from Amazon to serve as temporary storage if I need it. Rather trust a new pack of disks than my old ones.

I suppose mainly, I'm left with what are my options if I get read errors?
Old 08 December 2016, 13:23   #5
emufan

before you use the floppy disks with wordworth or other apps, best would be to make an adf first.
use tsgui as adviced above. the adf files you can copy to your cf card and save them later on your
peecee for later use/inspection - create backups of the original adf files too.
do some test run with tsgui with another floppy disk you are already using on your amiga.

#1) not yet thinking about read errors
Old 08 December 2016, 14:50   #6
JonSick

Great advice all round, thanks people! I didn't think to just go straight for ADF'ing the disks first. That's a good shout!

I'll hit on that one first once I'm happy the floppy drive is definitely all functioning perfectly. I have no reason to think it doesn't but you know... safer than sorry. Decided to run through a few of the old copied game disks first just in case.
Old 08 December 2016, 17:25   #7
emufan

yep, this way your old copy disks will clean the heads a bit and you will see if the machanic will find all tracks