English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 November 2016, 18:07   #1
lubaki

Word Perfect 4.1 Custom Dictionary

Hi!

I usually use my Amiga 1200 for writing purpose. I write most of my articles with my miggy with Word Perfect 4.1. IMHO this is the best word proccesor not only for Amiga, but in entire history ! I usually write in Spanish, not english, so I want to know if it is possible to delete the english dictionary and add a personalize one. I have tons of texts that are in spanish with good ortography and I can use them to add word (with patient) to this new dictionary. Does anybody of EAB knows how I can do this? I think that deleting sp.wp archive and adding a blank one with same name and extension will be the correct way. Any idea?

Thanks!
Old 14 November 2016, 20:11   #2
emufan

on disk #2 (Spell.Thes) there is a tool called Spell. here you can change/add a dictionary.
Shift+F10 -> enter WP:LexES.wp -> next it will ask to create it.
was just a quick test. i never really used this program. but thats what i found.

with the new dictionary you just load a text into wp, select Spell - it offers to "Add Word" and other options once
it does not find the current word.
at the start of spell it also offers to change main dictionary, so here you may select LexES.wp

#1) after spellcheking, there is a new file: sup.wp, which is a simple text file, which has some of the newly added words.
was just created, after i did this spell run in wp.

from what i see you should have these 2 assigns:
WP: folder with WordPerfect
Spell.Thes: folder with the ditionary files from disk #2 ( its the same as WP: here in my setup )

there are floating around some dos version of wordperfect, a spanish 5.1 version is available. the dictionary seems not compatible with older version, since a tool which comes with it, just offers to convert 4.x to 5.x dictionary.
maybe there are other sources for the dos version of 4.1, which hold a spanish version, you just can use it's dictionary.
use dosbox to install 5.1 spanish version. maybe you find a way to convert the dictionary of that version.

#2) one nasty thing while installing WordPerfect 4.1 - it replaces c:iconx which - on my setup - left open a iconx window,
after workbench loads, from something which gets started in wbstartup - if you experience the same,
just replace iconx with the one from workbench 3.x

Last edited by emufan; 14 November 2016 at 21:09.
Old 14 November 2016, 23:06   #3
lubaki

Thank you for your quick answer! I did what you said before of creating a personal dictionary but when I enter more thank 100 words the system says that "Personal dictionary full" and I canĀ“t add more words. I want to know if it is possible to delete the english one and to add my own dictionary with more words. I am trying and if it is possible I will put it here for everyone.

Thanks!

PD --> I want to use not only one dictionary, but 2 dictionaries (spanish and basque one)
Old 14 November 2016, 23:29   #4
emufan

hmm, the changes here, Wp does in the sup.wp file only. the original lex.wp does not change.
my sup.wp file now has 172+ words ( i just spellecheck my user-startup).

after changing the main dictionary in "Spell" tool to LexES.wp, it also writes to the sup.wp only. nothing added to LexES.wp. :/

#1) i've now installed the Wp51 ms-dos version. the Spell tool of this version displayes the following options.
from my weak spanish skills, it looks like, it does not convert dictionary to an older version.

*image removed, saves space*

Last edited by emufan; 15 November 2016 at 00:33.
Old 14 November 2016, 23:40   #5
lubaki

So I guess that is not possible to change nothing here, no?

I will continue trying to add a "spanish" dictionary! There will be a possible way!

Thanks!
Old 14 November 2016, 23:48   #6
emufan

it all depends on the words added to the sup.wp file. which should work somehow.
the problem with your max 100 entries i cannot explain, since i could already add 172+ words to it.

there must be a way to use/fill the newly created dictionary file ( using the Spell tool -> Shift+F10).
but i cannot see how.

on the attached image, the Spell Tool - > Add to Main or Add to Common, suggest, there is a way to fill / write to the Choosen Dictionary.

i'm using here Wb/kickstart 3.1 on 030/882 system. may happen Wp and its tools work better on a older workbench/kickstart setup.

someone made a blog about WordPerfect on the amiga, maybe you can ask him on his website.

maybe worth a try.

BombJack has the WordPerfect 4.1 manual online
the manual is a searchable pdf, so this should help alot - Page 570 "Speller Utility"

#1) just found WP 4.1.12
I was using 4.1 before. it is an update. but the listed 5.0 is fake ( is just 4.1 ) - just in case you missed that aswell.

*image removed, save space* - manual should explain it even better

Last edited by emufan; 15 November 2016 at 02:11.
Old 15 November 2016, 00:53   #7
lubaki

Is there any other word processor that can allow me to create a totally new dictionary? Wordworth? Final Writer?
Old 15 November 2016, 01:12   #8
emufan

good question. I only know for sure, Pagestream 4 came with spanish dictionary.
but you cannot create one on your own. just use premade/provided dictionaries.
just search on the ftp for the other ones, if you want test them.
Old 15 November 2016, 01:57   #9
idrougge

Considering how non-Amiga-like WP is, shouldn't it be possible to replace the dictionary file with a file from a Spanish PC version of WP?
Old 15 November 2016, 01:58   #10
lubaki

I am trying and it seems that is not possible. But I will keep trying!
Old 15 November 2016, 02:07   #11
emufan

old-dos lists some spanish version too, but not old enough for the amiga version.
it needs to be the 4.1 of the spanish dos version, never version seem to use another format of the dictionaries :/

did you read the manual already? on the page mentioned it explains how to use the external spell tool
for adding/changing dictionaries. give it a try.
Old 15 November 2016, 02:14   #12
lubaki

For daily using my Amiga 1200 I need:

1.- A Word Processor that can create customized dictionaries. Basque and Spanish.
2.- Be able to export/import rtf and ascii.

If anyone of you know something about a word Processor that can do this, please write!!!!!!
Old 15 November 2016, 02:44   #13
idrougge

Try ProText.
Old 15 November 2016, 11:48   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubaki View Post
For daily using my Amiga 1200 I need:

1.- A Word Processor that can create customized dictionaries. Basque and Spanish.
2.- Be able to export/import rtf and ascii.

If anyone of you know something about a word Processor that can do this, please write!!!!!!
Wordworth 7.x does both. It has a "learn" function which allows you to create a customized dictionary.