English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 September 2013, 06:38   #1
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Setclock Command

Using this command always makes me cringe because I use it so rarely I forget the format, Google is normally your friend but they have screwed up the format.

Date 27-Nov-00 10:00, SetClock Save

It won't work and it will annoy the hell out of you.

Date 27-Nov-00 10:00; SetClock Save

Works, the semicolon makes all the difference

Or you can use;

Date 27-Nov-00 10:00
Setclock Save

Last edited by Loedown; 07 September 2013 at 10:47.
Old 07 September 2013, 09:26   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Using this command always makes me cringe because I use it so rarely I forget the format, Google is normally your friend but they have
Everybody who knows how to enter DOS commands should know that two commands have to be entered as two lines. Date and SetClock are two different, completely unrelated commands.

Quote:
Date 27-Nov-00 10:00, SetClock Save

It won't work and it will annoy the hell out of you.
It cannot work. The comma is not recognised as special character by the shell. The entire line is sent to the Date command and the Date command does not know how to interpret the additional arguments.

Quote:
Date 27-Nov-00 10:00; SetClock Save

Works, the semicolon makes all the difference
It does not give an error message but it does not work as you expect. The semicolon is recognised as a special character by the Shell: it introduces a comment. The Date command is executed and the rest of the line beginning at the semicolon is ignored. SetClock is never executed.

Quote:
Or you can use;

Date 27-Nov-00 10:00
Setclock Save
This is the only way.

Well, there is a way to make the first one work: you could install a Pipe command and set the comma as seperating character (_mchar). But I don't know if this breaks other commands. The suggested seperating character is ||.
Old 07 September 2013, 10:47   #3
Loedown

Thanks for clearing it up Thomas.

Native AmigaDOS commands can be a pain when you learnt how to do DOS on a PC back in the day.
Old 07 September 2013, 13:41   #4
thomas

I have to disagree. I don't see such a big difference between both DOS implementations. Both use the first word of a command line as program name which is loaded and executed and the rest of the line is given to the program as argument string.

The most notable differences from my point of view are

- the current directory in AmigaDOS is global and includes the drive name while on PC-DOS every drive has its own current directory. The latter is very confusing if you come from a Unix world.

- AmigaDOS uses complete names where PC-DOS uses single letters. For example for drives. And for options. AmigaDOS uses ALL where PC-DOS uses /E and CLONE where PC-DOS uses /K.

- the script language is a bit more powerful in PC-DOS.

I agree that a built-in help is almost non-existent in AmigaDOS. If you enter command /? in PC-DOS you get a detailed explanation of each option while on AmigaDOS if you enter command ? you only get a syntax diagram with the names of the options. But IMHO because the options are complete names it is easier to remember their meaning and a more detailed description is not needed in most cases.
Old 07 September 2013, 13:53   #5
Loedown

For the sake of avoiding misinformation I will certainly take what you say as being correct.

Ignore Google and use;

date 27-nov-00 10:00
setclock save
Old 16 September 2013, 22:00   #6
chocolate_boy

Or just type

Time

And set it in the GUI and click save.