English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 June 2009, 13:47   #21
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Er, but the 'almost no differen(t)' PC version is better? Rrrrright...
They are different, a lot. PoP Amiga version is slower (sometimes too much) than PC version and it makes difficulties in timing/jumping.

Last edited by Sensi; 16 June 2009 at 14:16.
Old 16 June 2009, 13:49   #22
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I can't really think of any... I got my Amiga back in 87 and the games that were there for the time were much better (or same as) other platforms. Also, I think apart from the 85-87 games I mostly got popular games rather than obscure ones. Games I thought were good still good, crap still crap. Guess my taste in games hasn't changed all that much. Gameplay is still important.

Double Dragon was a game I didn't mind and I don't see it any different today, Prince of Persia I thought was pretty much the same as the PC version (so what was wrong with it? EDIT: ok see response above now)

Games aging badly would be those 3D games. Arctic Fox in 1987 was excellent but now is very slow and simple, but I didn't change my mind about how good it is as I look at it as a great game for its era. Guess it's all on the perspective one takes.

THB, you had some crappy games listed there, glad I didn't have most of those back in the day! I knew they were crap back then too!
Old 16 June 2009, 14:13   #23
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
Games aging badly would be those 3D games. Arctic Fox in 1987 was excellent but now is very slow and simple, but I didn't change my mind about how good it is as I look at it as a great game for its era. Guess it's all on the perspective one takes.
Ooooooooh good choice! Artic Fox i never had or played on the Amiga but i had it on the C64 and used to play it to death! loved the game and so did my brother after he realised you could actually steer your rockets with an onboard camera to find your targets! probably the very first game that i can recall that ever did that.

As for other games... well all the ones i played were good and still are, otherwise i wouldn't have played them
Old 16 June 2009, 14:17   #24
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I played Rise of The Robots, and without having any other version of ROTR to compare it to, I knew it was utter dogshit
LOL, same here, I saw it at my friends and didn't even touch the controls...

But still, SF2 was my first beatemup, my only beatemup...
Old 16 June 2009, 14:30   #25
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
But still, SF2 was my first beatemup, my only beatemup...
Good boy.
Old 16 June 2009, 16:10   #26
Shoonay
Global Caturator

... up to the point I discovered MK2 of course
Then was Shadow Fighter, pretty damn good too but didn't stand the test of time and got boring after a while... MK2 ftw, Fatalities and disk changing mayhem ftw!
Old 16 June 2009, 16:13   #27
Photon

Some games had that "unknown factor" that made them enjoyable despite the usual poor utilization of the hardware. Sometimes it was the graphics/animation, almost every game had great sound and music, compared to what your ears were used to. Some had humor, a few had big worlds to explore, a few had perfect controls.

Now that I play OCS games, I can usually enjoy the old games despite any choppiness, if it's not too bad. But that's probably because I know all the history gunk, it might be different to someone who hasn't seen the game in question before in his life

The only ones that don't get played anymore are those action games that required unearthly reflexes and at the same time had cruel punishments for failure built in, like failure to memorize every part of each level. It's simply not worth the frustration anymore. Nebulus is an example of this, a super great but frustrating game.

So, that stuff and games that require extensive reading of manuals is what doesn't get played anymore.

Another is Shadow of the Beast. Retarded gameplay, and if you succeed you're rewarded with loading loading and loading, and if you fail you will soon see how good you look dead before you can try again. Just needs loading loading to show the pic and then loading loading to show the menu, and then loading loading before you can start a new game.

Better add "slow loading" games to the list then.

Xenon II was crap when it came, but I played it. Now I don't, because I remember how much frustration the slow framerate and failed collision detection caused. Maybe some day with a trainer to see the end.

But apart from that, pretty much every shooter, racing game and platformer is still as fun as it ever was Except Flimbo's Quest. Everything about it is great, except what you "explore" is about as varied as the concrete in a highway. And I like the games with cool worlds to explore the best!
Old 16 June 2009, 17:05   #28
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I think some people are missing my point but never mind an interesting read either way.

Arctic Fox!?!?! yeachh... Give me Carrier Command any day over that crap.
Old 16 June 2009, 17:35   #29
Dunny

I loved R-Type, and having no version on the Amiga (until a mate of mine copied me his cracked version), I found Scorpio to be an excellent replacement. Well, no, it wasn't. It was shit (after the first level) but I was damned if I wasn't going to enjoy it.

Then there was Major Motion which, again having no Spy-Hunter conversion to play, was a fave of mine. It had crappy controls, no boat section and was very, very dull.

What else?

Oh yes, Omega. I'd just come from a Speccy, and seeing the graphics just blew me away. And the premise of the gameplay! Program your own tanks and pit them against the CPU - heavenly for a budding geek like me... But again, it was actually shite.

I'd love to do a remake of that one though

D.
Old 16 June 2009, 18:08   #30
Gibbersan

Alien Fires 2199 AD. Geez, I remember liking and hating that game.

"The elevator is in the elevator shaft."

"I am Dr. Fever."
Old 03 July 2009, 15:40   #31
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Chase HQ, Test Drive I & II, Hard Drivin'...
Old 03 July 2009, 16:08   #32
s2325
Zone Friend

Chase HQ I like even today. Test Drive is annoying because you can crash into nothing. Part II have great music and better sound fx. Test Drive 3 is bad joke. I don't remember Amiga Hard Drivin' but for me Amstrad version is too slow and MegaDrive version is too choppy.
Old 12 July 2009, 22:08   #33
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Arcade!!!)

It was the first floppy that I put into my Amiga, and I was thrilled that I actually could make a computer show moving pictures with music.
In fact, it is a horrible game, but I love it since that day.
Old 14 July 2009, 09:42   #34
extralife

Xenon 2, springs to mind, back then i thought it was so great, now it just sucks!! it really isn't a very good shmup, great graphics still though
Street Fighter 2, I loved the amiga version, but u won't see me play that one anymore. thank god! for mame and psx emu's, still play SF till this day on these great emu's. 2D fighters forever!!!
speaking of 2D fighting games, I used to play the crap out of Body Blows Galactic back in the day and tbh today I really don't know why ?!?, that series is not very good, in fact it's crap compared to capcom's and snk's real fighters
also I just looved wonderboy in monsterland on my c64, its still a pretty fun platform adventure, but my god!! it looks and sounds so bad, even the arcade version is awfull in that department, worst part is that the amiga version is pretty close to the arcade, thats pretty awfull really lol I think back then i was just in love with the rpg element thrown into wonderboys platform world
Old 14 July 2009, 10:19   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

Body Blows isn't crap, just gameplay is different from that kind of games. You must think fast, button mashing is not enough.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:32   #36
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Xenon 2, springs to mind, back then i thought it was so great, now it just sucks!! it really isn't a very good shmup, great graphics still though

I didnt like it on real Amiga in 90s, its one my favourite shmup in WinUAE.

Body Blows is not good fighting game imo.
Old 14 July 2009, 12:51   #37
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Chase HQ I like even today.
You take that back right now! I hated it then and I hate it now. What's the point in releasing a super-slow-motion version of a game the entire POINT of which was its speed and smoothness?

Games I played back in the day but don't now? "Wonderboy in Monsterland" and "New Zealand Story" spring to mind. I Don't think they're crap now, far from it; but having played the arcade versions in Mame, I can't cope with their comparatively titchy display windows. Same with "Super Hang-on".
Old 14 July 2009, 13:07   #38
s2325
Zone Friend

Long ago I never saw Chase HQ on something other than Amiga.
Old 14 July 2009, 19:10   #39
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

lots of the games listed above i still love, even if they are 'inferior' versions, or have obvious failures. for whatever reason, i just dont care about such failings.

The only game that comes close that I can think of is Blood Money, which i never really played anyway, but was really dissapointed with when I came to try it again recently.

I guess i can agree on Double Dragon, but again, i didnt play it much at the time either.
Old 15 July 2009, 07:32   #40
sebmacfly

MOUSE TRAP

http://hol.abime.net/2524