English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 August 2016, 21:52   #21
amigapd

Ok - it seems there may be a bug when the game reaches level 9 or 10 which causes the game to crash - it doesn't seem to be a problem with level map or level data as if you change the name and play the level earlier in the game they work fine but the game still crashes when it gets to the consecutive 9th or 10 the level - perhaps it keeps some data in the memory and causes it to crash - the game is compiled so I can't look at the AMOS source code.

As a fix the game is now completed when you reach the end of your eighth level - I have added some more exits in the first four levels which enables you to choose different routes to access the different zones.

I have also changed the main sprite for Castle world so when he goes up ladders it is the same as moving left and right.

Would like feedback on whether I should add the 2 exit option for each level so that there is lots of different ways to finish the game? The end screen isn't particularly impressive it just says well done and promotes the Dylan the Spaceman game - I may improve this screen but then I think the first mario game's end screen was just text and a picture of Mario.

Edit

To get to the different zones you need to take the following exits

Bottom exit level 1 takes you to Ghost World (I have completed the game without crashes going this route)
Bottom exit level 2 takes you to Green World
Bottom exit level 3 takes you to Dungeon World
Bottom exit level 4 takes you to Space World

one level of Cloud world follows after the second world and then the game ends
Attached Files
File Type: zip A_Robin_v2.zip (237.9 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by amigapd; 20 August 2016 at 22:00. Reason: Routes for zones
Old 20 August 2016, 22:20   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Is there anyway to add a exit that exits the program purposely into shell?
then in shell have script Level1-8.exe, level9.exe, level10.exe etc
Old 20 August 2016, 23:12   #23
amigapd

I don't think so The game runs from a main program which I assumes loops and Loads level data and maps when needed. When it crashes it gives the message screen not open which is an Amos error.
Old 21 August 2016, 02:25   #24
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You could maybe have level 9 and 10 as separate executables openable only by a password or something like that.
Old 21 August 2016, 10:30   #25
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

It really sucks not being able to play all zones in maingame. But better this than the game crashes

Have you tried to redesign the level? Make the part there the game crash solid so you can not walk there?
Old 21 August 2016, 12:50   #26
amigapd

Yes I ve tried changing the level design and removing the baddie. I think it is something to do with the scroll routine and possible memory issue. The one thing I haven,t tried is using the exit option for falling from the bottom of the screen. The guy who wrote the skeleton disk did post on Eab a few years back He wrote the Egor in toyland game and has done some youtube videos The best bet is probably trying to make contact with him He might also know how to add the moving platforms into the game too. He also updated the engine to tun at 60 fps rather than the 50 for the skeleton disk.

Update

The programmer is mentioned in this EAB thread and did make a few posts back in 2007 - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28684

He also made these youtube videos

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by amigapd; 21 August 2016 at 13:55. Reason: Extra info on original programmer
Old 23 August 2016, 08:41   #27
dvallet

Hello, i'm trying your game on my PC first. It's a good dev despite it's too heavy for a poor A500. Within a couple of weeks, i'll have my a1200 ready to play.
Thanks for your dev.