English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 17 June 2017, 13:43   #21
nogginthenog
Amigan

There is a old version of UAE hacked up with a built in VNC server.
https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmega...vncserver-uae/

Interesting idea.
Old 17 June 2017, 17:29   #22
esc

@thellier yep I use it all the time

However the 68k Wazp3d doesn't do OS3 PPC Warp3D stuff, is there any plan to redo the w3dppc.library implementation?

Old 18 June 2017, 13:07   #23
SaphirJD

Well, i only want one thing... more demo compatibility
Old 18 June 2017, 13:09   #24
thellier

@Esc
No

Alain Thellier
Old 18 June 2017, 14:27   #25
Locutus

...Long shot:

Some call interface to input events (restarts, disk changes, configuration changes, debugging etc), something like a TCP socket to send these things to would be great.

This would be handy for using WinUAE as a development tool (currently i just use shellscripts that setup/run/teardown) but a straightforward interface would be awesome.

I suppose something like that could be used for game frontends or whatever.

Dreamlevel goal: also include gdb stub functionality ala qemu/bochs
Old 18 June 2017, 14:52   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphirJD View Post
Well, i only want one thing... more demo compatibility
"Not enough information". You know the reason if is about A1200/68EC020, see blow. If it is something else: Even more information needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
...Long shot:

Some call interface to input events (restarts, disk changes, configuration changes, debugging etc), something like a TCP socket to send these things to would be great.
TCP socket for debugger commands can be easily added. (It allows injection of input events, config changes etc..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I would just like to see 68020 CE mode improved further.
This needs hardware information that does not exist. At least to make it usable.
Old 18 June 2017, 19:12   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
What are those hardware informations you would need Toni for 68020 CE mode ?
Old 18 June 2017, 22:32   #28
mark_k

A feature like "Remove interlace artifacts" for A2024 modes. Refresh the entire display every frame, using the last bitplane addresses etc. for the quadrants which aren't being refreshed that frame.

The normal A2024 display is surprisingly useable from Workbench, because the AmigaOS monitor driver refreshes the region containing the mouse pointer more often when it's moving. [Consequently the other regions are refreshed less often then. For example, open a large CLI window, Type a long text file, and move the mouse pointer in small circles in one corner of the screen. You can see the text update rate changing when you stop/start moving the mouse.]

A-Max seems to always refresh each quadrant in turn, so mouse pointer movement is much jerkier than in Workbench, and (just like on Workbench) scrolling text tears a lot. Being able to have the entire display update every frame would make using the emulated Mac much nicer.
Old 19 June 2017, 04:56   #29
PeterK

Just in case you still feel boring, Toni ...

WinUAE is getting better and better and more complex with every new release!

But it's also getting slower and slower with every additional feature. Not that much, but step by step, a little bit slower.

How a about a "WinUAE lite" version, without any 040/060, PPC and expansion card support? Just to get the maximum performance back!

However, many thanks for this great emulator!
Old 19 June 2017, 07:17   #30
Romanujan

From my point of view USB would be the most welcome feature - as I could emulate HW better resembling my real configuration.

One more thing - FS-UAE and WinUAE use different formats to store filesystem information. Would it be possbile to add .uaem support to WinUAE also? I find them very convenient, I can easily edit file attributes by using any host-os ASCII editor.
Old 19 June 2017, 09:38   #31
ovale

API and GDB, great features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
...Long shot:

This would be handy for using WinUAE as a development tool (currently i just use shellscripts that setup/run/teardown) but a straightforward interface would be awesome.

I suppose something like that could be used for game frontends or whatever.

Dreamlevel goal: also include gdb stub functionality ala qemu/bochs
Old 19 June 2017, 19:16   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
What are those hardware informations you would need Toni for 68020 CE mode ?
I have mentioned those dozens of times. Internal 68020/EC020 cycle sequencer logic. This is not explained in documentation. (yes, there is some charts and stuff but it is mostly useless)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
A feature like "Remove interlace artifacts" for A2024 modes. Refresh the entire display every frame, using the last bitplane addresses etc. for the quadrants which aren't being refreshed that frame.
This is not easy. A2024 emulation works like real A2024, it only sees what appears in video port, it does not see original bitplanes or anything. Nice idea but implementation would be really annoying.

It would need to store all kinds of chipset data and have sort of simple secondary chipset emulation for A2024..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
But it's also getting slower and slower with every additional feature. Not that much, but step by step, a little bit slower.

How a about a "WinUAE lite" version, without any 040/060, PPC and expansion card support? Just to get the maximum performance back!
No. It was tried long time ago. No one can agree which makes it "lite".

Correct way is to find out why or how it got slower. Or buy a new PC, it surely offsets the slowdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
From my point of view USB would be the most welcome feature - as I could emulate HW better resembling my real configuration.
This (and Toaster) is something that interests me because it is about learning something about hardware but USB may require far too much USB knowledge (and it looks annoying..)

Quote:
One more thing - FS-UAE and WinUAE use different formats to store filesystem information. Would it be possbile to add .uaem support to WinUAE also? I find them very convenient, I can easily edit file attributes by using any host-os ASCII editor.
I don't like those at all. Emulator should not create any alien files or polluting native side and even old style uaefsb-files were annoying enough.
Old 20 June 2017, 00:58   #33
esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

This (and Toaster) is something that interests me because it is about learning something about hardware but USB may require far too much USB knowledge (and it looks annoying..)
Hi Toni,

Isn't there something you could steal from qemu? I seem to recall they have full usb2.0 and usb1.1 passthrough options.

Old 20 June 2017, 01:03   #34
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, I've been thinking about suggesting something for a year or so now but I'm pretty sure that Toni will say no so haven't bothered

...maybe if I can work up the courage and be prepared for the slap-down. I even know his exact answer to this
Old 23 June 2017, 22:41   #35
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hmmm, I've been thinking about suggesting something for a year or so now but I'm pretty sure that Toni will say no so haven't bothered

...maybe if I can work up the courage and be prepared for the slap-down. I even know his exact answer to this
I am waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Hi Toni,

Isn't there something you could steal from qemu? I seem to recall they have full usb2.0 and usb1.1 passthrough options.
It most likely is something different. I don't think it is trying to emulate any real world hardware but work like "UAE" expansions. (Which is something I don't want to make it "all-OS" compatible)
Old 23 June 2017, 23:25   #36
gulliver
BoingBagged

Have you given a thought of implementing popular digitizers and framegrabbers?
Old 24 June 2017, 20:57   #37
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Have you given a thought of implementing popular digitizers and framegrabbers?
Yes. They have minimal priority, all input devices are annoying
Old 24 June 2017, 21:26   #38
gulliver
BoingBagged

Ok, sounds fair.

And what about all those graphics card that are not implemented yet? (Domino, Merlin, RetinaZ2, RetinaZ3, ImpactVision24, etc)

AteoBUS emulation? (also OmniBus, Prometheus which has been open sourced, GoldenGate, Crosslink, etc)

Matze`s GBAPII++? (open source)

MNT VA2000? (open source)

Last edited by gulliver; 24 June 2017 at 22:08.
Old 24 June 2017, 22:20   #39
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
And what about all those .... that are not implemented yet?
It's time to emulate the users. At least for some games that would be pretty easy. Hitting the fire button on the joystick could also be done by WinUAE itself. Maybe, WinUAE could reach new high scores?
Old 25 June 2017, 00:23   #40
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
It's time to emulate the users. At least for some games that would be pretty easy. Hitting the fire button on the joystick could also be done by WinUAE itself. Maybe, WinUAE could reach new high scores?
Yes, it is true

Toni has nearly implemented all everyone could think of, so it is time to request more esoteric features.