English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 December 2011, 11:06   #121
Jope
-

Well, don't buy one if it doesn't do what you thought it should do.

The Kryoflux team has stated the board's capabilities quite clearly. More functionality may or may not come at a later date, but for the time being, it is clearly not the device for you.

Just keep on waiting, buy it when it does what you need it to do, but please don't buy one based on hopes for the future to save yourself from disappointment.
Old 25 December 2011, 11:29   #122
MrCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
Let me see if i get it straight i am going to buy a 95 euros board that backups copy protected disks to adf format and doesn´t writ it back again ???
Can at least make copy from original source disk to floppy (backup)??

If you look around and find. Ipf files you can write them to disc. Just don't ask for them on here.
Old 25 December 2011, 16:39   #123
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Let me see if i get it straight i am going to buy a 95 euros board that backups copy protected disks to adf format and doesn´t writ it back again ???
Can at least make copy from original source disk to floppy (backup)??
If you would take the time to _read_ and _understand_ the product facts you would clearly see that our aim is neither copying, nor writing to disk. It's a forensic imaging device that will give you high resolution raw files. These can be used for preservation or forensics, as a side effect it does write, too.

This is not intended to be a super-duper copying device, never was, although the advanced design makes it possible to also write disks very accurately.

As for the price... make a layout, build your own, do your own software, make it suitable for mass consumption, produce hundreds of boards, use your private money to set it all up, then come back and find someone who did not read what it is, but needs to complain, then discuss. Enjoy.

EDIT: And still... ADF writing and other stuff is on the list because people would like to have it.

Last edited by mr.vince; 25 December 2011 at 17:00.
Old 25 December 2011, 19:54   #124
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
As for the price... make a layout, build your own, do your own software, make it suitable for mass consumption, produce hundreds of boards, use your private money to set it all up, then come back and find someone who did not read what it is, but needs to complain, then discuss. Enjoy.
100% AGREE!!
Old 25 December 2011, 20:30   #125
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
...our aim is neither copying, nor writing to disk. It's a forensic imaging device that will give you high resolution raw files. These can be used for preservation or forensics, as a side effect it does write, too.
I would like to know more about the difference between the version supplied to individuals and the commercial version. Is it purely in the software? What is the extra cost involved?

Quote:
Anyone interested in speeding things up can donate, as we don't charge anything for software from private users. Donations help taking unpaid leaves from daytime jobs.
Is it possible for an individual to buy at least some of the additional functions offered in the commercial version? Surely this would be a more proactive way of raising capital than waiting for donations.
Old 26 December 2011, 04:47   #126
ramparts

Question

It is not about building a circuitry that we are talking about is about paying for something that justifies the price it is payed and for all the money spent in the construction it is not considered don´t tell me you bought all the equipment for producing for further costumers pay for it it is not applyed to no project you remind me a car shop that put me in the bill a full solder roll when they just spent a few cm´s and any hobbyst can make their own pcb i done mine my self with all kinds of smd components that is not the main question you are justifiyng the price with the money of the manufacturing not justifying what the circuit can do that is the main and principal question thanks
Old 26 December 2011, 16:52   #127
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I would like to know more about the difference between the version supplied to individuals and the commercial version. Is it purely in the software? What is the extra cost involved?
We do offer special features upon request. So far all features requested by pro customers were implemented into the general release, too. Currently there is no difference in consumer or pro versions, except for the licensing model. In our "world" the private & student versions are completely free, whereas those than can afford it, pay more (=the full bill).

We know that the community has contributed to our efforts over the last decade so this is our way of giving back and saying thank you.

Quote:
Is it possible for an individual to buy at least some of the additional functions offered in the commercial version? Surely this would be a more proactive way of raising capital than waiting for donations.
As said above DTC is the same. But pro customers get e.g. a light version of our Analyser, which can be used to inspect raw data dumped and detect modifications.

The reason it's for pro customers only is that it requires time and knowledge to train people how to use it. We don't have the manpower to support private users and private users would not want to pay for support. It's different when you do this on a professional basis as it's not unusual that support tickets are paid for.

We have been thinking about offering the Analyser for private users, too, but I fear it would bring more hassle than fun. People will want support, and many - look below - will completely misunderstand what it is.

Quote:
It is not about building a circuitry that we are talking about is about paying for something that justifies the price it is payed and for all the money spent in the construction it is not considered don´t tell me you bought all the equipment for producing for further costumers pay for it it is not applyed to no project you remind me a car shop that put me in the bill a full solder roll when they just spent a few cm´s and any hobbyst can make their own pcb i done mine my self with all kinds of smd components that is not the main question you are justifiyng the price with the money of the manufacturing not justifying what the circuit can do that is the main and principal question thanks
A full stop here or a comma there would make reading your monster post easier and understandable.

You still have not read what it is or what it does so you still have not understood the product. It is a high resolution flux sampler made for preservation and it serves this purpose very well. This is not a hardware copier. I am not going to justify. Look at other homebrew projects and their pricing. If you think it's too expensive - don't buy it.

We are not responsible that you've been cheated by your car shop. Maybe you should have read the small print?
Old 26 December 2011, 23:52   #128
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
We do offer special features upon request. So far all features requested by pro customers were implemented into the general release, too. Currently there is no difference in consumer or pro versions, except for the licensing model.

We know that the community has contributed to our efforts over the last decade so this is our way of giving back and saying thank you.

As said above DTC is the same. But pro customers get e.g. a light version of our Analyser, which can be used to inspect raw data dumped and detect modifications.

The reason it's for pro customers only is that it requires time and knowledge to train people how to use it. We don't have the manpower to support private users and private users would not want to pay for support. It's different when you do this on a professional basis as it's not unusual that support tickets are paid for.
Thanks for clarifying that, mr.vince. Would you please let us know if the position regarding parity between the consumer and pro versions of the DTC ever changes?

Quote:
We have been thinking about offering the Analyser for private users, too, but I fear it would bring more hassle than fun. People will want support, and many will completely misunderstand what it is.
That's good to know. But, really, it's hardly fair to assume all users will be in that kind of trouble. Some of us are quite experienced at this lark, you know.
Old 27 December 2011, 00:24   #129
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

The few "kiddies" would be the problem. And the complexity is the problem. You can't deny support once people have bought something. We're not a software company, we focus on preservation. The above shows the support needed for a product like KryoFlux, and feature requests also mean additional work. I don't want to imagine how demanding support for the Analyser would be.
Old 27 December 2011, 01:44   #130
prowler
Global Moderator

Fair enough. The Analyser is probably more suitable for forensic use than anything I would have in mind.

However, there are one or two special features - options really - I would like to see added to the DTC. I just need to think about how to describe them properly...
Old 27 December 2011, 01:47   #131
ramparts

Cool

the lack of stop points and comma was because i was not pleased with your answer as a possible costumer for me neither the price is the problem just like to spent my money in good thing kyroflux is a great product just persons expect of your product was a perfect copier machine for their own backup copies i understand also that the circuitry would be upgraded it is not a one step thing.
but i think price should be more acessible i am planing on mnufacturing a new accelerator board for the amigas and i would prefer a good price for selling then be stuck with all just for colectors amiga owners and collector like me need fresh blood from amiga products all old sellers are dying out of stock i hope in a new future bring happynes for all amiga collectors and modders by the way peace and happy new year
Old 27 December 2011, 13:27   #132
MrCheese

Quote:
the lack of stop points and comma was because i was not pleased with your answer as a possible costumer for me neither the price is the problem just like to spent my money in good thing kyroflux is a great product just persons expect of your product was a perfect copier machine for their own backup copies i understand also that the circuitry would be upgraded it is not a one step thing.
but i think price should be more acessible i am planing on mnufacturing a new accelerator board for the amigas and i would prefer a good price for selling then be stuck with all just for colectors amiga owners and collector like me need fresh blood from amiga products all old sellers are dying out of stock i hope in a new future bring happynes for all amiga collectors and modders by the way peace and happy new year
Interesting to note your level of literacy changes upon how pleased you are. Going from the lack of punctuation in this reply you were really not pleased when you typed this it either?

If you want to use a Kyroflux as a copier you can. If you have an original game you wish to copy you can get the .IPF file from SPS. As Kyroflux has write support for .IPF files you can then make as many copies as makes you feel like putting punctuation in your posts. If the game has not already been dumped you can dump the game, submit it and get the .IPF file.
Old 27 December 2011, 15:33   #133
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Fair enough. The Analyser is probably more suitable for forensic use than anything I would have in mind.
Well it does create IPFs, so it's our master tool for preservation... also repairs tracks as possible etc.
Old 28 December 2011, 02:42   #134
ramparts

Cool

Ha ha very funny although i pass your comments about my ponctuation since i am not english you should consider it and i am not a school teacher neither i am here to satisfy any english school teacher
Old 28 December 2011, 09:02   #135
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

I am no native speaker, too. This is no excuse for not at least _trying_ to do it right. Anyway.
Old 28 December 2011, 11:45   #136
MrCheese

Quote:
Ha ha very funny although i pass your comments about my ponctuation since i am not english you should consider it and i am not a school teacher neither i am here to satisfy any english school teacher
Well, here is some punctuation you can borrow in case you do decide to try ,,, ... Seriously why your punctuation is attached to your mood is beyond me. The Kyroflux will allow you to copy discs so I don't see what your problem is. Either buy one and use it or don't.
Old 16 February 2012, 19:55   #137
Alpha One

Nearly 2 months went by... anyone knows in which year the ADF write support will finally come?? Just kidding, only want to put this thread on top again so the authors notice someone still cares about this feature. ;-)
Old 17 February 2012, 15:14   #138
IFW

My bet is on this year
Old 17 February 2012, 15:27   #139
MrCheese

I would find it a good feature as well. The Kyroflux chaps said it will be done so it will. IFW hints at this year and he is in a position to know more than most.
Old 18 February 2012, 13:22   #140
IFW

Yes, I'd hope to be in that position