English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 May 2003, 12:51   #1
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Another retrosite bites the dust

Learned about this via the Lemon 64 site. It seems the infamous IDSA bots strikes again.

http://cia.c64.org/

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Sadly it seems like no 8bit & 16bit computer retro sites are safe nowadays. When even "legitimate" sites like BTTR get attacked in this sort of fashion, is it little wonder that site authors must get fed up with trying to justify themselves against these nameless men-in-suits?

(Btw-mods, feel free to move this to Off-topic if you deem it appropriate, wasn't sure where it was better suited)
Old 24 May 2003, 12:55   #2
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Unhappy

That's really crap
The internet fascists strike again
Old 24 May 2003, 20:19   #3
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Diablo? Come on, I can virtually smell the mistake of those stupid searchbots there! If they uphold the claim of copyright of that title (as well as a few others mentioned), they're committing a crime themselves! Why do people always take their sites down completely when something like that happens?
Old 24 May 2003, 21:46   #4
Bernd

It has already been said in BTTR news that Robert L. Hunter, IV is a robot and no human beiing.

These e-mails are generated automatically and check sites for keywords (game titles). For instance we were asked to remove PacMan. The game which was online, however, was a PD clone...

If people get cold feet and close their sites voluntarily after receiving this standardized e-mail it is their own fault/stupidity...
Old 28 May 2003, 01:28   #5
WOC_Admin
Zone Friend

Hi,

I dont think its about them being 'stupid'. I mean, not all of us know about the in's and out's of the law. An e-mail like that will strike fear into some webmasters and they could be thinking 'Is it really worth me doing this?".

I must confess, I'm not an expert on law, it chops and changes all the time and I only know the basics. I mean, you mentioned Pacman which is of course a PD clone as you say. The thing is Pacman (the character) is copyrighted, so if anyone basis a game on Pacman, arent the infringing some rights? It's the same with screenshots, isnt that technically illegal? In most terms and conditions it says 'in whole or in part' - Does that include screenshots or not? The law is a funny thing, its hard to understand and I guess it depends on how fussy the company in question is going to be. Like I say, I'm no expert, far from

Last edited by WOC_Admin; 28 May 2003 at 01:34.
Old 28 May 2003, 11:43   #6
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Screenshots are legal under the terms of "fair use" - you're allowed to use excerpts of any work for the sake of reviewing it.

In any case, even if the letter strikes fear into someone, it would be enough to pull down the downloads of the games which actually belong to IDSA members! They can't speak for any other copyright holders, so they can't do anything about anyone offering games made by anyone not on their member list. In the case of a C64-related site, the games actually belonging to these companies should be very small.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:06   #7
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
Why do people always take their sites down completely when something like that happens?
Could have been the ISP/host that took it down?
(though if that were the case, I wouldn't expect to see the letter from IDSA there)
Old 29 May 2003, 11:42   #8
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Exactly - if it had been the ISP, there would be a page saying something like "removed due to violation of the TOS and AUP".
Old 30 May 2003, 00:12   #9
JudasEZT

how bots works??

what they do??
Old 02 June 2003, 10:47   #10
Bernd

Quote:
I must confess, I'm not an expert on law, it chops and changes all the time and I only know the basics. I mean, you mentioned Pacman which is of course a PD clone as you say. The thing is Pacman (the character) is copyrighted, so if anyone basis a game on Pacman, arent the infringing some rights?
You're right with this assumption. These game clones are not legal in a way. But nobodey seems to care about it. (except Nintendo and the Tetris maker) By offering these PD clones for downloading we are in "good faith" that the developer has asked the character-, game principle owner for a licence and/or tolerates these game clones.

If we were asked by Namco to remove a PacMan clone we would not hesitate to do so. But not in the case of IDSA who create auto-generated e-mails and decline any form of communication.

As for screenshots etc Mr Creosote has already commented correctly...
Old 02 June 2003, 13:18   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Angry

Someone should *PERSONALLY* go to these IDSA dudes and ask if this thing can't be ignored in some cases.
Remember: E-mails are fruitless and will only be answered using another dumb e-mail autoresponder. This is just wasted time. Maybe a REAL letter would give more insight.

Maybe they don't even know what they "land" by "scanning" "innocent" websites with their cheap script??
And yes, it *IS* a script. The wording is EXACTLY the same every time, only the data is variable.

Too many webmasters let themselves buffalo by this stuff, I think. It's a matter of RESISTANCE, that's what it is.