English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 30 August 2018, 21:39   #2601
PeterK

I'm the author of icon.library 46.4. You can find my email address in the readme header on Aminet, as usual it's the uploader field, just add the @ and the missing dot in the domain name.

If you get wrong system colors then something goes probably wrong with the pen reference counters for the screens palette. My library never changes the system colors directly. Usually the system colors (pen 0-3) are locked and can't be changed anyway. And I never had such a problem yet.

Check your system for other programs which are changing the screens palette like VisualPrefs, MagicMenu, MWB color daemon or similar tools and their correct pen settings. Instead of the MWB deamon use the Prefs/Workbench option "MWB colors" and set Prefs/Palette correctly for MWB colors and save it.

Does that happen after switching screenmodes? Try the Workbench tools menu entry "Reset WB" if it occurs. Try different settings for the color quality in Prefs/Workbench.

Last edited by PeterK; 30 August 2018 at 21:59.
Old 31 August 2018, 11:30   #2602
SimonV

Funny you mention MagicWB. I installed that right away after iconlib, only the executable and prefs as found in the last magicwb archive on aminet.

So I really thought that was what caused it and removed it again. But I think it happened at least once after I removed it.

Anyway thanks for the reply and if it happens again I let you know but so far I didn't install more stuff.
Old 31 August 2018, 14:57   #2603
PeterK

There is a tool called "Click for colors" in the MagicWB package. You can use that only once to get the correct MWB colors immediately, then open Prefs/Palette, where you should see these MWB colors now, and just save these Prefs/Palette settings. After that and activating "MWB colors" in Prefs/Workbench you won't need the MWB color deamon anymore. Prefs/Palette sets the last 4 pens (252-255) for MWB and Prefs/Workbench the pens 4-7.

But on your screenshot there was something strange: the window frames and backgrounds had wrong colors, but Prefs/Palette still displayed the correct systemcolors (pen 0-3). You must have something installed like VisualPrefs which changes the the window colors. I'm using VisualPrefs too, and it works reliable, but I don't have any features in VisualPrefs enabled that are changing colors. The configuration is done with Prefs/GUI.

Last edited by PeterK; 31 August 2018 at 15:09.
Old 31 August 2018, 15:09   #2604
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
But on your screenshot there was something strange: the window frames and backgrounds had wrong colors, but Prefs/Palette still displayed the correct systemcolors (pen 0-3).
I wonder if this isn't how OS3.9's Prefs/Palette works with high/true colour wb, as "normally" it opens its own screen, right?
Old 31 August 2018, 15:16   #2605
PeterK

No, not in this case, as you can see on his screenshot. The strange thing is that Palette shows correct colors, even for the demo window, but its own window frame has wrong colors. So there must exist another patch controlling the window appearance and style, I guess.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=2597
Old 01 September 2018, 17:59   #2606
James

Quote:
The new TrueColor version TC020 is finished and also supports PNG icons now.
Thanks for this!

Noticed it does not display this icon correctly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SpectrumIconOs35TCIconlib.png
Views:	26
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	59617

SpectrumIcon.lha

Looks OK with AfA:

Name:	SpectrumIconAfA.png
Views:	29
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	59618

Also noticed when grabbing example image to Ram: on OS3.5, the filename was too long and it was treated as an icon:

Name:	IconAssumed.png
Views:	34
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	59620
Old 01 September 2018, 20:23   #2607
PeterK

Seems to be another bug in AfA_OS when writing OS4 icons. OS 4.0 itself does not display the TrueColor ARGB image, just like my library. But Scalos can do it, so a workaround should be possible. Thanks for this broken icon, I will try to fix that, although it would be much better when Bernd would start fixing AfA_OS.

I'm pretty sure that my library is able to display the original Spectrum icon from Mason or OS4. You can see that AfA has damaged it, because there are these typical black pixels at the top of the planar image, where AfA always stores some private pointers!

Sorry, I don't have OS 3.5 and also don't know which screen grabber you are using. Do you have WBCTRL MNL=102 in your startup-sequence? Maybe your screen grabber can display preview icons for the images like Eastern or Image2Icon ?

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 20:31.
Old 02 September 2018, 17:17   #2608
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.498:

A bugfix in the 68000 version for PNG icons without an alpha channel (broken since 491) and some workarounds for bugs in AfA_OS and Aros: AfA sometimes creates drawer icons without a DrawerData structure, flags and viewmodes and Aros creates strange icons with a 1. image in the OS 3.5 ColorIcon format and the 2. image in OS4 ARGB format. Furthermore, Aros tries to read and write disk icons by simply accessing "device:" or "volume:" instead of "device:disk", "volume:disk" or just "disk" relative to the current directory "volume:". No source code this time, my actual project is top-secret.
Old 02 September 2018, 17:27   #2609
James

Quote:
Seems to be another bug in AfA_OS when writing OS4 icons. OS 4.0 itself does not display the TrueColor ARGB image, just like my library. But Scalos can do it, so a workaround should be possible. Thanks for this broken icon, I will try to fix that, although it would be much better when Bernd would start fixing AfA_OS.
Thanks.
I don't think there is much hope of Bernd fixing AfA.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have OS 3.5 and also don't know which screen grabber you are using. Do you have WBCTRL MNL=102 in your startup-sequence? Maybe your screen grabber can display preview icons for the images like Eastern or Image2Icon ?
I used SGrab, but that was not the cause...
I do have 102 set as Workbench name length, but it does not appear to work with the OS3.5 Ram disk.
Experimented a bit:

A large image on HD, deficon appears as expected.

Name:	LargeImageOnHD.png
Views:	27
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	59641

Same image in Ram, deficon appears as an old tool icon.

Name:	LargeImageInRam.png
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	59640

A small image with a short filename in Ram, deficon appears as expected.

Name:	SmallImageInRam.png
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	59642

Same image with a longer filename on HD, deficon as expected.

Name:	ImageLongNameOnHD.png
Views:	29
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	59639

Same image with long filename in Ram, filename cropped and image displays as an icon.

Name:	ImageLongNameInRam.png
Views:	34
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	59638

Copying the image from Ram to HD causes an accompanying icon to be created.

Name:	CopyFromRamCreatesIcon.png
Views:	37
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	59637

Installing AmberRam made all these quirks disappear.
This is using the last freely available version of DefIcons, not the newer one from OS3.9.
Old 02 September 2018, 17:45   #2610
PeterK

So, do you regard your problem as being solved with AmberRamDisk now?

I'm always using AmberRamDisk on my OS 3.9 system. The OS 3.5 ram-handler may have a 25+5 character limit for the names, I don't know. The icon size is limited to 256x256 pixels, anyway.

Your Spectrum drawer icon without a DrawerData structure, flags and viewmodes should be displayed now.
Old 02 September 2018, 18:12   #2611
James

Quote:
So, do you regard your problem as being solved with AmberRamDisk now?
Yes, the OS3.5 Ram disk is too limited.

Quote:
Your Spectrum drawer icon without a DrawerData structure, flags and viewmodes should be displayed now.
Confirmed.
Old 02 September 2018, 19:46   #2612
kolla

AmberRamDisk vs ThoR's updated ram-handler?
Old 05 September 2018, 23:01   #2613
PeterK

Two different pairs of shoes.
Old 15 September 2018, 17:13   #2614
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.499:

Here comes my brand new toy: HM020 with HAM8 support! This is, as usual, just a first test version, but it works at least on Workbench with HAM8 screen modes, which can be selected with MUI Sreenmode Preferences only: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/MUIScrMode1_5

You will also need to install my FullPalette.prefs file in ENVARC:Sys with the required 64 HAM8 base colors (don't change the pens 0-63). Some of the system and MWB colors may look a bit different now, but all the base colors can only have certain RGB values, and so the system and MWB colors 0-7 can't be mapped to their perfect RGB settings. For the last 4 colors it's even more difficult to find good compromises. Better remap bad looking MWB icons to the pens 4-7: http://aminet.net/package/util/app/FixMWB

DOpus5 has no real support for HAM screens. It only works when you choose the display setting "Use Workbench", and only with the native Amiga HAM8 screens, not with SuperPlus or HighGfx, which can be used on Workbench, too. On WB 3.0/3.1 it seems that the NewIcons patch can't make the borders transparent anymore. I have to check that.

PS. This and the next full Aminet release are dedicated to Eva (Kira), because she is mobbed very badly by Mr. "gehtjanix", who believes that her identity is just a fake. He wants to destroy her life now, although I've ask him to stop this kind of witch hunting. I'm sure that Eva is a real(ly) nice young woman, unfortunately too young and beautiful for an old and ill man like me. So this is just a small gift for her AGA Amiga.

The update is attached to the 1. post of this thread as always. Don't know why I added it to this post too ??

Last edited by PeterK; 15 September 2018 at 18:28.
Old 15 September 2018, 23:00   #2615
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter, mistake or AROS icons (Nightly Builds) are not supported by Icon.library? not even OS4 supports them (only AfA-OS seems to support them)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 September 2018 at 08:13.
Old 15 September 2018, 23:28   #2616
PeterK

Seems like your beloved AfA_OS has caused another new type of icon trashing, because all these icons have some trash sequences of $81 bytes between "IMAG" and "ARGB" which should not be there. Put AfA into the bin!

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 20:28.
Old 15 September 2018, 23:37   #2617
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Peter I've tried using Workbench and a pal screenmode with muiscreenmode but the icons have a problem with the colors.

Old 15 September 2018, 23:42   #2618
PeterK

Hi Retrofan,

that looks as if you did not install my FullPalette.prefs in ENVARC:Sys and used FPPrefs in your startup-sequnce or destroyed the palette with some other tools like VisualPrefs again. You can't use any other tools for changing the screen colors or pens! That will not work.

... when I look at your MWB icon, it still shows the original MWB colors, so you did probably not activate my palette correctly.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 September 2018 at 23:51.
Old 16 September 2018, 00:15   #2619
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Oh yes, I left FPPrefs and Visual prefs working. I'll try without them.
Old 16 September 2018, 00:28   #2620
PeterK

No, you will need FPPrefs to activate my FullPalette.prefs configuration, of course.

VisualPrefs can only be a problem if it changes any colors. I'm still using VisualPrefs, but only for changing some window GUI elements, not for any pen color settings.

And also other tools should not make any changes to the screens palette, like MagicMenu. Sharing existing pen colors is ok, but no modifications are allowed.

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 20:30.