English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 October 2020, 22:29   #1
Sim085

AmigaKit - Ready signal too fast

I have done a floppy drive conversion on a ju257a606p as document here.

It looks like the drive is working fine. Loaded a couple of disks, copied them, re-loaded, etc.

However something I noticed was that AmigaKit reports that ready signal is too fast. Does anyone know if it is normal for this drive? I was thinking that given this drive does not require any traces to be cut and conversion can be done just with jumper changes then it would become a like-with-like copy to an amiga drive after the conversion.

I guess in short the question is; do all pc floppy drive conversions report ready signal to be too fast after the conversion?
Old 19 October 2020, 23:19   #2
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
I have done a floppy drive conversion on a ju257a606p as document here.

It looks like the drive is working fine. Loaded a couple of disks, copied them, re-loaded, etc.

However something I noticed was that AmigaKit reports that ready signal is too fast. Does anyone know if it is normal for this drive? I was thinking that given this drive does not require any traces to be cut and conversion can be done just with jumper changes then it would become a like-with-like copy to an amiga drive after the conversion.

I guess in short the question is; do all pc floppy drive conversions report ready signal to be too fast after the conversion?
Don't worry too much about it. All drives that _have_ a Ready-Signal (most PC drives don't), do it somewhat differently.

As for AmigaTestKit: I've had a discussion with Keir (the creator of the test kit) about the meaning of his 'too fast' and 'too slow' Ready assessments. In consequence, he removed this from the test kit, so in the latest release you'll only be informed about the time it takes for Ready to be activated.
For a DD drive, this should be anywhere between 200 und 500 ms.

How long does it take for your drive?
Old 19 October 2020, 23:42   #3
Sim085

When I do a System test it says 572.2ms.

When I do a Read Test if motor is spinning (because for example I just came out from a System Test) it says "READY too fast (284us): Gotek or hacked PC drive". If I wait for the drive to be silent (nothing running) and I do a Read test it says "READY late (545.6ms): slow motor spin up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
How long does it take for your drive?
Old 19 October 2020, 23:47   #4
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
When I do a System test it says 572.2ms.

When I do a Read Test if motor is spinning (because for example I just came out from a System Test) it says "READY too fast (284us): Gotek or hacked PC drive". If I wait for the drive to be silent (nothing running) and I do a Read test it says "READY late (545.6ms): slow motor spin up".
Well, these values are perfectly reasonable and the drive seems to have a real Ready signal. Remember, the mechanics of these drives are 20+ years old, so it's ok for them to be a little off.

Important is that the index signal comes at regular intervals of about 200 ms. Then you shouldn't have ready-related problems with the drive.
Old 20 October 2020, 10:30   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

It's perfectly natural to have an instant READY signal if the drive is spinning since it is already up to speed.

AmigaOS does not read the READY signal, but uses a timed delay (I can't remember the duration) and if your drive takes longer than this delay to get up to speed, you might have a problem using the drive with the OS.
Old 20 October 2020, 13:17   #6
Sim085

Do you mean when booting the OS from disk? Or when inserting a disk when already in OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
you might have a problem using the drive with the OS.
Old 21 October 2020, 06:24   #7
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
It's perfectly natural to have an instant READY signal if the drive is spinning since it is already up to speed.

AmigaOS does not read the READY signal, but uses a timed delay (I can't remember the duration) and if your drive takes longer than this delay to get up to speed, you might have a problem using the drive with the OS.
AmigaOS does not care about the Ready signal. It's only used to determine whether a drive is DD or HD.

Some game- and demo-trackloaders, however, assume that READY will be asserted after a given amount of time, usually 500 ms.