English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 February 2018, 17:07   #1
mcflyio

A Whole New (CD32) World

Hello,

First proper post!

Today I should be receiving my newly purchased CD32, very very exciting.

However, what I thought would be a simple process of popping in a game and playing has started to become a tad more complicated.

I have listed my initial thoughts and I was hoping that some of you may have some advice that could help guide me and ensure that I am not going wrong

· Recapping – It seems that this should be first on my list of things to do - Any recommendations for a reputable repairer would be greatly appreciated

· Riser and TF328 - I will be running my console through the OSSC to a monitor and I will therefore need RGB scart. For this I believe I will need a riser with RGB out. I was thinking that I should get a TF328 expansion at the same time with a CF adaptor for some WHDload fun

· Input devices - I will need a mouse and keyboard so I was thinking about an Amiga port to USB adaptor for the mouse and, for the keyboard, use a PS/2 port on the riser

Does the above list seem like a sensible start?

Thanks in advance of any assistance

Old 23 February 2018, 18:17   #2
Amiga1992

For recapping, check the lists available here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81395

TF328 is well recommended, but you didn't even get the CD32 and already are thinking of expansions? That's not the way I'd recommend to start. You can burn lots of things to disc and have lots of fun before you even turn your CD32 into a computer (you will in most cases need a mouse and sometiems a keyboard for lots of WHDLoad games).
Since you need RGB though, the "riser" card will be a must. There's a couple of good ones with RGB like the one by Edu Arana and I think supadupa offers one too but I dunno if his has RGB out.

Again in my opinion the sensible start is to forget about keyboards and TF328s, but if you want to go ahead and buy a riser+TF328 combo (as offered by supadupa here: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ighlight=tf328) you might as well do it, since it's available and cheap.

I just feel like adding a keyboard to a console is "wrong". I don't want any of that in my living room, where my console is. Again, just my opinion, and I am a VERY happy TF328 user!
Old 23 February 2018, 18:23   #3
kgc210

I have had bebek on Amibay do work for me in the past.
http://www.amibay.com/member.php?2240-bebek

Yes a riser and TF328 are the best way to upgrade the CD32 without spending a fortune.
You can either build a mouse adapter or get a PS/2 or USB one.
Old 23 February 2018, 19:24   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
No svideo on ossc?
Old 25 February 2018, 14:35   #5
mcflyio

It didn't arrive

So I spent the weekend in the pub instead

Akira, I definitely understand what you mean about enjoying it first before buying expansions and enjoying it is my plan. I already have re-bought some of the games I had 20 years ago to start reliving my youth!

However, with the need for RGB out, I thought I may as well just buy the lot at once Thank you for the recommendation of the riser and TF328 combo. If I can sort out why my registration was instabanned on Amibay I will contact supadupa and purchase a set.

Thank you KGC for the recommendation, I will look into that together with the list Akira linked.

Sadly not DDNI, if I had gone down the framemeister route I could have used s-video but I really fancied the slightly faster experience of the OSSC and it will only accept a RGB signal.

Hopefully the CD32 will arrive tomorrow and I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks you for the advice!

Old 25 February 2018, 14:45   #6
kgc210

Send supaduper a message on here http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=41104
Old 26 February 2018, 14:15   #7
Glen M

It is possible to get an RGB out of the console with a few wires soldered internally. My CD32 was modded like this for years until I got the riser card and TF328. I don't even use the RGB anymore as I now play this on my rear project CRT TV so s-video is all I need.

Keyboard and mouse can be easily added and so long as its a PS2 compatible keyboard it should work ok with the riser card but again I haven't tried this yet. I have my A1200 on a desk for keyboard and mouse games. The CD32 is on the old TV for the pure console game experience.