English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 14 April 2024, 21:40   #1
hop

AmigaOS 3.x NDK header redistribution

Does anyone know if it is permitted to include NDK header files in a non-commercial software package (source and binary)?

I have been developing an interactive disassembler which parses NDK include files at runtime to provide the user with suggestions for equates e.g. Parses equates in
NDK/Include_I/lvo/exec_lib.i
to suggest replacing

Code:
       JSR     -408(A6)
with

Code:
_LVOOldOpenLibrary      EQU     -408
        JSR     _LVOOldOpenLibrary(A6)
It would be convenient to be able to include the relevant subset of NDK header files in the tool distribution so it just works out of the box. If this is not permitted then I can (i) ask the user to provide their own headers (from NDK probably) or (ii) create my own versions of the headers.

I can't find any information on licensing in the NDK package itself. The header files themselves do not seem to have any copyright headers. It looks like this question was asked on the Hyperion Forums in 2022 but remains unanswered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 14 April 2024, 23:06   #2
Thomas Richter

A very valid question. Given that the NDK was uploaded to Aminet, it seems plausible that you can, though to be super sure, I would send a friendly email to the uploader email address found in Aminet, which seems to be support@hyperion-entertainment.com.

Would be interesting to see the response. I cannot provide a legally binding answer.

Just for the records: The NDK contains part of my material (the MuManual, more or less). For that part, you surely have permission to include its headers.
Old 15 April 2024, 17:19   #3
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
A very valid question. Given that the NDK was uploaded to Aminet, it seems plausible that you can, though to be super sure, I would send a friendly email to the uploader email address found in Aminet, which seems to be support@hyperion-entertainment.com.

Would be interesting to see the response. I cannot provide a legally binding answer.
Thanks very much. I emailed support last week but haven't heard back yet, and I wasn't sure if I would, and hoped someone had been through this before. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Just for the records: The NDK contains part of my material (the MuManual, more or less). For that part, you surely have permission to include its headers.
I'm not sure if I'll need that, but thanks!
Old 16 April 2024, 08:24   #4
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop View Post
Does anyone know if it is permitted to include NDK header files in a non-commercial software package (source and binary)?
I've had similar problem with my GCC-Pack. My solution? Installation script assumes that the user has downloaded the NDK archive herself. Then it asks for archive location, extracts needed files and copies them to the destination drawer. This way I neither redistribute the NDK nor download it in any automated way.
Old 20 April 2024, 16:55   #5
phx
Natteravn

Always did the same for vbcc.
Even if I knew that including the NDK was perfectly legal, I would probably decide against it now. Most developers already have the NDK installed somewhere, so you don't have to bloat your distribution archive. And developers can easily choose the NDK version they prefer, or use an updated version.
Old 21 April 2024, 07:54   #6
hop

Thanks. This is good advice. Perhaps the application can look for a local NDK next to the exe, else look for an NDK environment variable or on a user-specified path.