English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 March 2010, 23:23   #1
RGB_Gamer

CD32 Analogic Floppy Drive - Will it work w/SX32, small port on back?

I saw this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33303

They have this on ebay, and when looking at the connector on the part that attaches to the CD32, I noticed the RTC port looks just like the SX32's card port.

If I bought this Analogic Floppy Drive for the CD32, Can I take off the SX32 card and attach it to this thing? Or perhaps some sort of graphics accelerator can be attached to that slot?

Also, the Analogic Floppy Drive has a Parallel port, but what is that smaller 15-pin port? Will this thing play pretty much any A500/A1200 game from floppy?
Old 04 March 2010, 23:31   #2
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Hehe - you are asking ALL the questions that I have on this drive as well
Old 04 March 2010, 23:34   #3
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Hehe - you are asking ALL the questions that I have on this drive as well

Yea i have an SX32 MKII, and you can take the main PCB out, so that made me wonder if that PCB can go into the floppy drive attachment. That would be great if it worked, so I don't have to get a tethered external floppy drive and still have everything in one unit attached.

After doing some more reading, the 15-pin plug on the back of the floppy drive attachment is in fact, an RGB connector. I couldn't figure out if there was some sort of VGA or SCART adapter though.
Old 04 March 2010, 23:50   #4
RGB_Gamer

I would also like to know if there was a way to burn a bunch of .adf floppy images to CD and somehow transfer them to floppy with the CD32 and this floppy drive attachment?
Old 05 March 2010, 00:08   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer View Post
I noticed the RTC port looks just like the SX32's card port.
Looks the same yes. They are the same 184-pin connectors. Works the same. Highly doubtful. No-one is every going to try.

Quote:
If I bought this Analogic Floppy Drive for the CD32, Can I take off the SX32 card and attach it to this thing?
Why would you want to? The SX32 card has far more ports.

Quote:
Or perhaps some sort of graphics accelerator can be attached to that slot?
Graphics accelerator??

Quote:
Also, the Analogic Floppy Drive has a Parallel port, but what is that smaller 15-pin port?
15KHz RGB video. I think the designer wanted a VGA type connector when he specified his schematics, which is a 15-pin Sub-D but he put 15-pin D by mistake and the layout people just made what he asked for.

Quote:
Will this thing play pretty much any A500/A1200 game from floppy?
A500 yes, A1200... depends on RAM usage. The CD32 eats slightly more RAM on boot than A1200 but mostly yes.

Quote:
That would be great if it worked, so I don't have to get a tethered external floppy drive and still have everything in one unit attached.
You're joking right? This is the most ugly Mofo in existance. You'd pay £50 instead of £5 for an external floppy drive so it doesn't have a cable?? If you absolutely need an FDD (I've never used one ever with my SX32) then just sit it on top of the CD32+SX32 and use some contact adhesive and you'd never know the difference beauty and aesthetics wise

Quote:
I would also like to know if there was a way to burn a bunch of .adf floppy images to CD and somehow transfer them to floppy with the CD32 and this floppy drive attachment?
But you have an SX32. You don't need to use a floppy drive. You've got 8Mbytes of RAM and a hard drive. You can play almost every single game from HD using WHDload. No messing about with disks.

Last edited by alexh; 05 March 2010 at 00:17.
Old 05 March 2010, 00:38   #6
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Well, using WinUAE and ISOCD you could make an .iso consisting of Workbench, Devcopy (or some other adf writer) and loads of .adfs if you wanted to transfer them to floppy (if you had no other way).
Old 05 March 2010, 10:57   #7
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Yes that is possible. What you ideally want is a bare Workbench 3.1 install burnt onto a CDR, and make sure you include either ADFBlitzer or tsgui (get either program for aminet).

Problem is you will need the CD32.TM or CDTV.TM trademark files from the Commodore Amiga developer CD 1.2, and a copy of MakeCD to make a CD32 bootable disc. If you have neither of these, then making a bootable CDR is impossible: in that instance your better off buying yourself a second machine and write your adf disk images back out to disk on a spare machine using those aforementioned programs I mentioned in paragraph 2
Old 05 March 2010, 11:12   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

He's got an SX32 with a compact flash card for a hard drive. All he has to do is whip out the CF card and plug it into the PC