English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 04 May 2011, 21:40   #21
ppill
CON: artist

Sorry for no updates but I've started rehearsals for a new play I'm in and haven't had much time to tinker with Hombre.

http://aminet.net/package/misc/fish/fish-0172

Here's a little program called PopInfo (with source in C) that should be helpful with the "volume info" problem (updates).
Old 09 May 2011, 18:01   #22
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
Sorry for no updates but I've started rehearsals for a new play I'm in and haven't had much time to tinker with Hombre.
No rush. I spend an hour a day at most working on this, and it will be a while before it's all finished.

The problem with the volume information wasn't as easy to solve as I thought.

You can just call Lock() and Info() on an arbitrary volume to get the information, and it always works, but if the volume is not available you get a requester on the screen, which obviously is a no-go for this type of app, and the documentation mentions no way of suppressing it.

I've still got more options to look at, and will ask around a bit as well. If there are any AmigaDOS experts here who know the solution, then don't hesitate to post.
Old 09 May 2011, 18:13   #23
ppill

Take your time... no worries.

One issue with the latest version. The title bar seems to be 1 pixel thicker compared to others. Is there a way around that. Also could the text be white and the background black (basically a negative of what it is now)... it's more legible that way.

Thanks
Old 09 May 2011, 18:19   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
if the volume is not available you get a requester on the screen, which obviously is a no-go for this type of app, and the documentation mentions no way of suppressing it.
Documented way to disable dos requesters is to set your process' pr_WindowPtr = -1. Remember to restore old value.
Old 09 May 2011, 18:21   #25
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Documented way to disable dos requesters is to set your process' pr_WindowPtr = -1. Remember to restore old value.
Is there a way to do this for the whole system (useful for shell sessions over a text terminal)?
Old 09 May 2011, 18:53   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Is there a way to do this for the whole system (useful for shell sessions over a text terminal)?
Child processes inherit pr_WindowPtr from parent so simply setting parent's (boot shell) pr_WindowPtr to -1 should work. (Of course some programs may clear it for some unknown reason)

Not tested, not guranteed to work
Old 09 May 2011, 18:58   #27
ppill

Quote:
Child processes inherit pr_WindowPtr from parent so simply setting parent's (boot shell) pr_WindowPtr to -1 should work. (Of course some programs may clear it for some unknown reason)

Not tested, not guranteed to work
Great, will check that. Maybe that's way the patches I've used didn't work.
Old 09 May 2011, 18:59   #28
Leffmann

Quote:
Take your time... no worries.

One issue with the latest version. The title bar seems to be 1 pixel thicker compared to others. Is there a way around that. Also could the text be white and the background black (basically a negative of what it is now)... it's more legible that way.

Thanks
Sure, like this? Or do you want to keep the thin frame around the title bar? What about its looks under 2.0? The vertical bar on the left edge of the window belongs to the close-gadget.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hombre.png
Views:	187
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	28626  
Old 09 May 2011, 19:09   #29
ppill

Quote:
Sure, like this? Or do you want to keep the thin frame around the title bar? What about its looks under 2.0? The vertical bar on the left edge of the window belongs to the close-gadget.
Just like this but with the thin frame

Doesn't matter how it's going to look under 2.x, don't worry about it.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:44   #30
Leffmann

Just remembered why I added 1 line to the window like you noticed, it's because the font connects with the window frame otherwise. The other screenshot shows it as a backdrop without frame and gadgets, which can't be dragged around the screen but looks nicer. Which do you prefer?

Last edited by Leffmann; 27 March 2018 at 20:27.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:48   #31
ppill

Quote:
Just remembered why I added 1 line to the window like you noticed, it's because the font connects with the window frame otherwise. The other screenshot shows it as a backdrop without frame and gadgets, which can't be dragged around the screen but looks nicer. Which do you prefer?
The second one (backdrop) please

Could the text be centered? So you can open a 620 window to fit the entire width of the screen... and not worry about the position of the text (also useful when the values change and whole status message "shrinks")
Old 10 May 2011, 21:53   #32
Leffmann

Ok I'll make it centered horizontally and able to be positioned vertically by command line with an option to force it to the bottom of the screen. To close the app I'll add a check for clicking the text and pressing escape, or something of that kind. I'll see if I can write it all up before end of this week.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:56   #33
ppill

Quote:
Ok I'll make it centered horizontally and able to be positioned vertically by command line with an option to force it to the bottom of the screen. To close the app I'll add a check for clicking the text and pressing escape, or something of that kind. I'll see if I can write it all up before end of this week.
Brilliant Maybe a right-click or both mouse buttons?
Old 11 May 2011, 16:12   #34
Leffmann

Give this one a good test to see if it works properly.

Last edited by Leffmann; 12 May 2011 at 23:34.
Old 11 May 2011, 16:13   #35
ppill

Quote:
Give this one a good test to see if it works properly.
Sure will I'll post any feedback in the evening.
Old 12 May 2011, 12:30   #36
ppill

Ok, the thing works great only I'm not sure how to set the position via the CLI options.

I use -1 to get it to open on the bottom of the screen other parameters don't seem to work...

Is it 'gauge x y "status"'?

The double button press to exit works and the Volume info as well
Old 12 May 2011, 14:12   #37
Leffmann

I removed the X argument since it's always centered, so it's Gauge Y "Format" now. There's a small description of usage in the source code as well.

I noticed you had almost no disk space left on Hombre so I've removed a lot of sanity checks and compiled it with SAS/C, I can't get the file size any smaller than this.

Here's the final (unless something needs fixing) with source code included, you can apply whatever license you want to the files.

Last edited by Leffmann; 12 May 2011 at 23:34.
Old 12 May 2011, 21:29   #38
ppill

This is absolutely fantastic. It'll make a great addition to the whole package.

The space is not really an issue since you can always use xpkmaster's NUKE library to pack the executable (XLoadSeg takes care of that, so you can execute packed code). It's just over 8kb when compressed so not really a big space filler

There's just one last thing (LAST ONE, I promise ). I got carried away with the whole Backdrop window flag thing. It makes the gauge's window hide under the screen title bar when x=0. Removing the flag should fix that:

Code:
w.Flags       = WFLG_BACKDROP | WFLG_BORDERLESS | WFLG_RMBTRAP |
It'd still be borderless with no title bar so should stay in place

I prefer it on the bottom of the screen but I'm weird that way and others probably would like to choose the top of the screen.

I'll just make sure any new Shell windows open just under the screen bar so you can see Gauge in all it's glory

And yes, SASC certainly helped to reduce the size which is always a bonus when dealing with floppy disks.

Thanks again for all you work. I hope you had fun putting it all together and learned a few things along the way

I'll post some nice screenshots later.
Old 12 May 2011, 23:33   #39
Leffmann

Ok I've removed the backdrop flag and made it to extend the window height to cover the screen title bar whenever it's placed at Y=0.

Quote:
Thanks again for all you work. I hope you had fun putting it all together and learned a few things along the way
No probs!
Attached Files
File Type: lha gauge.lha (10.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 13 May 2011, 09:14   #40
ppill

Looking good