English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 July 2018, 15:20   #1
Pitka_Masa

Amiga CD32 problem (mysterious!)

Hello there!

I recently bought an Amiga cd32. As you can see on the topic, I have a problem.

The games i burn on CDRs won't work. I have burned them on imageburn with 1x speed. Actually, small games like gloom, simon the sorcerer etc seem to work fine, but the cd32 200 games pack just goes to the menu, but freezes when i start browsing. The console tries to read the disc, i can hear the laser tray moving. The same with super stardust and an alien breed 2-pack. They start but i can't get to play.

Gonna buy a hdisk expansion but i'd like to play while waiting.

It also plays audio cds, all the songs.

So would it be a mechanical problem, like to top magnet thingie being a bit off and having the cd wrinkling inside, or maybe spindler bent?

I've had a cd32 before and it had different kind of spindler, like you see in ps1.
Old 19 July 2018, 15:33   #2
Glen M

Never seen a CD32 with the PS1 type of spindler.

The issue is most likely the laser on its way out. Mine struggles with burnt games but plays originals flawlessly, including genuine audio CDs. You may have better luck with a brand name of CD-Rs.

Only long term solution really is to replace the laser. Short term you can try other discs or give the pot on the laser itself a small tweek to increase its power. This will burn the laser out even quicker so make the decision yourself if you want to do that or just put up with it as is and use originals. If you decide to do this only turn the pot by an 8th turn max. NOTE and I stress this point: The pot in question is on the laser itself. Do not touch the pots on the cd drive circuit board!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Glen M; 19 July 2018 at 15:54.
Old 19 July 2018, 15:42   #3
Pitka_Masa

Could it be the laser, cause this cd32 should not be used too much?
Old 19 July 2018, 15:53   #4
Glen M

Try other CDr media then first or even try another burner if you can.

BTW I have noticed on my laptop dvd-r if you select 1x speed in imageburn it still burns at full speed as the drive itself can't go that slow. I need to set it a bit faster to make it burn slow (if you know what I mean).
Old 20 July 2018, 14:41   #5
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Sounds like the Drive has problems with 2X speed anddata seeking. If you can play Music CD but cant load a game properly that is a very strong indicator that some work needs to be done. There is a potentiometer at the cd drive but you have to be very careful with that. Do you have any experience with that ? Maybe you can ask someone to help you out with that. Hope you get it fixed and maybe at some point to get a "terriblefire expandsion" for youre CD32. You can do so much more with the CD32 then.

Greetings, Nibbler
Old 22 July 2018, 03:56   #6
Pitka_Masa

Problem solved. Here's another: some games don't fit the tv screen. Like Simon the Sorcerer. The lower row of commands don't fit the screen and the cursor does not go there. What sorcery is this?
Old 22 July 2018, 12:48   #7
Pitka_Masa

It was just a PAL/NTSC quirk. Working now as it should