English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 August 2011, 17:01   #141
Leffmann

To me it's just some big box computer with laptop performance running a flaky exotic OS. I wouldn't buy one if I had all the money in the world, but I hope they'll be successful.
Old 07 August 2011, 20:45   #142
amigakit.com

@DDNI
Quote:
The engraved case front looks SWEEEET
Its sitting on the end of my desk in the office. Everytime FOL goes past it, he is hinting he wants to take it home
Old 08 August 2011, 09:33   #143
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@ amigakit, I am in Cardiff in November. Get ready for a visit, or as FOL calls it some corporate espionage
Old 08 August 2011, 11:52   #144
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
@ amigakit, I am in Cardiff in November. Get ready for a visit, or as FOL calls it some corporate espionage
Hmmmmm!!!

Who said we were in Cardiff?
Caerdydd maybe, ermmmm I mean "NO COMMENT", .
Old 10 August 2011, 19:10   #145
amigang

Pic looks nice, just wondering do you know when the case will be available and what the estimated price it will be for the white and black.

Plus also seem to remember something being said about it may support Classic motherboard, is that still the case?

Fractal Deign Define R3 White -
Just seen this on Youtube its made me think I will be getting the White one (ifI can afford it).

[ Show youtube player ]

Later, and thanks for the updates.
Old 10 August 2011, 19:48   #146
Paul_s

Quote:
Can I hide in the boot?
Old 10 August 2011, 22:40   #147
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post
Pic looks nice, just wondering do you know when the case will be available and what the estimated price it will be for the white and black.

Plus also seem to remember something being said about it may support Classic motherboard, is that still the case?

Fractal Deign Define R3 White -
Just seen this on Youtube its made me think I will be getting the White one (ifI can afford it).

[ Show youtube player ]

Later, and thanks for the updates.

I will have to use my favorite DDNI comment "NO Comment".
Nah, Im not sure what I can and cant say, NDA.

So amigakit may be able to answer your questions.
I will say (as it already been posted), that case is a prototype, still needs some work. We want it to be perfect.
Old 10 August 2011, 22:43   #148
Photon

What Leffmann said, and also: didn't know this even existed, and also: stopped reading the googled page after the word PowerPC.

PPC Amiga-likes can be useful for running Amiga stuff (but so is a PC with emu). But we (at least I, don't know about you??) are still holding out for a continuance of real Amiga.
Old 11 August 2011, 01:16   #149
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
What Leffmann said, and also: didn't know this even existed, and also: stopped reading the googled page after the word PowerPC.

PPC Amiga-likes can be useful for running Amiga stuff (but so is a PC with emu). But we (at least I, don't know about you??) are still holding out for a continuance of real Amiga.
Well I dont agree with his "Exotic FLAKEY OS" comment.
OS4.1 is a great OS (far from flakey, it just needs more developers and Games), .
I think people are still comparing it to OS4.0, 4.1 is basically a whole different improved Amiga OS.

Amigas were going to go PPC anyway, so Im at a lost as to why people moan about PPC.
I think its nuts how people buy macs which are well overpriced and run another "Exotic OS", .
Old 11 August 2011, 01:46   #150
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
OS4.1 is a great OS (far from flakey, it just needs more developers and Games), .
I think people are still comparing it to OS4.0, 4.1 is basically a whole different improved Amiga OS.
Just needs more developers... I wouldn't mind giving it a try to tell the truth, but releasing it on esoteric and expensive hardware locks a lot of people out. This just isn't the way to attract the developers this need to make more things happen.
Quote:
Amigas were going to go PPC anyway, so Im at a lost as to why people moan about PPC.
I think its nuts how people buy macs which are well overpriced and run another "Exotic OS", .
Yes they were.. WERE being the operative word here, they were going to do it back when the PPC was (IMO) a relevant platform.
As it is (again, my opinion) they're trying to jump on that ship after it's sailed, encountered storms, been sunk, and the shipwrights have redesigned an entirely new boat and launched it, and sailed it around the world.

As for Macs, only time I've owned one was when I was involved in high end video production and wanted to take work home with me... that was a PPC mac too - before Avid switched back to PC.
After that I had a work computer replaced with a mac too - to run final cut pro. People (especially professionals) will pay a high amount of money for 'the right tool for the job' - and as far as the video market goes, Final Cut Pro is 'a killer app'.

For that model to work for a new Amiga, it will need something like that.. but... yeah... developers... see above.

To be quite honest I think the aversion to current, popular, available hardware is due to some age-old 'winblows' millstone folks still wear around their neck, and has probably caused more damage to any chances of an 'Amiga Revival (tm)' than any amount of shady underhandedness, lawsuits, or IP squabbling ever did.

Ahhh.. feels so good to get that out finally... now I'll go jump into my asbestos underpants
Old 11 August 2011, 03:56   #151
NovaCoder

Nope, way too much $$$ for a 'hobby OS' machine.

It will be interesting to see where they go with OS4 after the X1000 is released. It's a shame but I can't see how Hyperion’s current roadmap is going to get them anywhere. The current roadmap being to only support high priced proprietary HW with a closed-source OS that is falling further behind the curve each passing year.

The concept of even using a 'traditional' OS on a computer to do things is going to be made obsolete in the next few years anyway

Last edited by NovaCoder; 12 August 2011 at 08:36.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:11   #152
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post

I call it exotic because it's so different and has a very small user and developer base. It tries to be modern but has miles to go and is missing key stuff like complete Java support, OpenGL etc.

And yeah maybe it is nuts to pay €1000 for a Mac and run OS X, but it's strange that someone who's paying €1500 for an X1000 to run Amiga OS 4 would say that. And I don't see what's exotic about OS X. It has tens of millions of users and runs all the big softwares and techs.
Old 16 August 2011, 20:40   #153
Amiga Forever

from what I heard....the price could be £1,500
Old 16 August 2011, 21:01   #154
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga Forever View Post
from what I heard....the price could be £1,500
This is nearly $2,500 US (where I am)... plus Shipping.

Putting that in perspective, since moving to rural Georgia to work from home an raise my kids - that's 5 months rent, or a second hand minivan better than the one I have for get them around.

As much as I'd like to see what OS4 has to offer, there's no way on earth I could (responsibly) justify that kind of cost 'just to see'.

I've read that they have entertained the idea of writing for 64bit processors at some point, I'll just hold out for that possibility I think.
Old 16 August 2011, 22:18   #155
DonAmiga

I suppose we all just have to hope that its nowhere near £1500 and more like £1000 or less
Old 18 August 2011, 20:24   #156
DDNI
Targ Explorer

WOW!

LOTS of NEMO boards waiting to go out!
Seems that there are more beta testers than I had thought!

I count about 90+ in the pic (I suspect that they may be empty though... They look light, and would you stack £1000 boards like THAT!!?)

Old 18 August 2011, 22:28   #157
Paul_s

Quote:
WOW!

LOTS of NEMO boards waiting to go out!
Seems that there are more beta testers than I had thought!
I would imagine the boxes contain Pizza

As for the x1000, I'll buy one if it's no more than £500 (which would get you a mid-range spec PC nowadays).
Old 27 August 2011, 23:53   #158
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Lots of pics from AmigaKit posted over on AmigaWorld

Pics of the unwrapping the "Golden One" Nemo Board.

Admiring the board through anti-static bag, .

Admiring the board out of anti-static bag, .

Old 27 August 2011, 23:55   #159
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Testing board.

Serial debug screen.

Booting OS4.1 on Nemo.

Old 28 August 2011, 16:48   #160
minimiger
Banned

well i just turned my pc into a fully pledged mac runs like a dream ,if only i could run os4 on a pc too ,this would save buying an outdated ppc hardware , lets face it apple are on intel now ,so who in there right mind would bring out crap ppc hardware to run os4,

only the insane and in this market where you wont see any growth for atleast ten years.

it will fall flat on its ppc face.