English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 March 2005, 23:19   #21
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Nice to know that OS4 is maybe coming to CVPPC and BPPC too: http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=en_OS4_Classics.
And that wouldn't exclude using 3.9, i would have both installed side by side.
Old 23 March 2005, 09:37   #22
manicx

Quote:
I don't think Commodore would have found a PPC solution that retained almost full compatibility with legacy Amiga stuff. I was still very supportive of Amiga Inc. in 1997, but I really got fed up and I never understood completely the whole new machine stufff. I always took for granted that EVERYTHING of the old Amiga would run in my new PPC machine! When I realized it was not the case, I abandoned the ship.
There is a solution for every problem. Never underestimate the power of Amiga engineers. They were working with peanuts, yet they were able for some amazing R&D, at least from the words of former engineers. Full compatibility is never possible even with modern PCs. I think though that a compatibility of 80% was possible and this is extremely high...

@wlcina
You are talking about something like the Siamese system... This actually existed to some degree...

@Bamiga2002's article

Impressive. OS4 uses AGA and paula and standard IDE... Akira, this is an example on how things could have worked back then... Yes, you have to rely on emulation that is slower than native 68k code, but with such a computer, you have 95% compatibility...

Last edited by manicx; 23 March 2005 at 09:52.
Old 23 March 2005, 10:43   #23
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Pyromania

don't bother leading the blind, let them wander in the
dark

@Martin_L

you started this thread and you're not getting an A1,
infact you're going to emulate a m68k... you should be
jailed for indecent speculation!

@manicx

why knock yourself out conveying concepts the 'current'
Amiga users aren't interested in... although I must
say, I was taken back some when you said you wouldn't
be buying an A1... I guess there isn't that many of us
left that followed through with the dream...

@who'sleft

I guess the Amiga has always just been my baby,
although I started an Amiga business with another user
in 1988, which should have made us very rich indeed ( a
long story why it didn't :P ) I've just continued to
upgrade etc etc etc, and paid so many thousands of
dollars over the years, you really don't want to know
:P

I guess the idea of getting a 'new' Amiga is always
there for me and not hard to keep in touch with simply
because all I've ever used is Amiga's... I am typing
this on my A4000... I use 3 on a daily basis.

So forgive me when I can't exactly see the view about I
won't get this because it won't get me this amount of
backwards compatiability blah blah bloody blah... I
was not a user who wanted backwards compatiability,
infact it used to really f'ing annoy me when the models
were held back because of either price or
incompatiability...

for instance, even if the A1 stopped dead in it's
tracks right now... the machine and its potential
would still do exactly what I want it to do... and
that is all you really should be worried about since
jesus, technology is so damn cheap this century there
is no such thing as having to have just one machine
amen...

I admitt I was and are still an elitest in many ways
and I'm quite happy that most of you will not be buying
into the A1

It's like back in late 1985 when the Amiga first came
out, there weren't many of us. So I'll enjoy the next
few years of bliss before history repeats itself.

Old 23 March 2005, 11:38   #24
kriz

hehe I want to buy the new amiga, for me its a dream come true, I have waited for a true ppc amiga os since i bought my first powerpc card (for the 1200) back in 99 i think..

check this video if you havent seen amiga os 4 in action:

http://os4depot.net/share/video/medi...-march2005.avi

For me it looks like fun
Old 23 March 2005, 17:41   #25
Amiga1992

OK let's fight for a while

Slayer: I am an elitist as well, and I am happy to not follow such a blind bunch as the Amiga Zealotry community. Sorry that you cannot see real facts and judge FAIRLY a computer, since, if you read my words, you'll realize that an A1 is a platform as viable/useable as any other, depending on your needs. I was just trying to do a fair, objective analysis of what it is, but you people just can't be objective, ever.

Please show me why I would buy this:
A1-XE MOTHERBOARD G4@800MHz NO MEM NO OS4
price = 500 UKP (EXCLUDING VAT)

When I can purchase this:
MacMini 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 / 256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory / 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive / DVD+CDRW drive
OS X Panther INCLUDED
price = 499.00 US DOLLARS

Sorry but it makes no sense to me, and I am glad of not being part of an "elite" that is fool enough to be assraped for inferior hardware with lackluster, amateurish software support.

Kriz, sorry if I fuck your dream up, but OS4 is something I clearly cannot define as "fun". Nice, maybe. But fun? Even less after watching that video. It shows, about the OS (what interests me) very little, too blurry. Damn shame. Thanks for the link though.

Oh, Slayer, one last thing. Stop pressing ENTER at the end of each line, it's annoying to read. But probably your superb Amiga browser doesn't know what the meaning of "wordwrap" is and I understand why you do this, for it happened in my Amiga. Still...
Old 23 March 2005, 20:57   #26
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Why do people get into pissing contests over platforms.

Today brand name means nothing except to the trendy (you know those guys with alot of cash who buy products because the name is "in").

Most people buy specific machines because of the software they need to run. x86 machine sell because profesionals can run their windows apps on then, gamers can play their games, EMU people have all the emulaters they need, Linux geeks have the best Linux platform, coders have the largest variety of apps, etc. Apple sells macs because free ixxx apps, a decent selection of programs in specific industries, and less maintenance. What does a PPC Amiga/OS4 have going for it? Not a dam thing. Will people buy it? OF course some will, just like some people had Be Boxes, SGI's, NEXT etc. It is very hard for major companies with money to get good developers to make apps for their OS, so OS4 will have it that much harder (its not even done!).

Anyway as far as the Amiga engineers went, they designed something in the 80's that was multimedia friendly when the big boys didn't know what multimedia was.. and milked that acomplishment for a decade and died out when the big boys beat them at their own game (because they had money, equally good engineering, and decent advertising). A decade in computing is like a century in cars, cars today still have wheels and suck down gas, but everything else is nothing like it used to be 80 years ago.

Be happy the Amiga changed the path of the PC and buy what is usefull for your needs now using your commen sense and not nostalgia.
Old 24 March 2005, 00:28   #27
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
I might buy one when they finish OS4 and get their act together.
Old 24 March 2005, 15:44   #28
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
OK let's fight for a while

Slayer: I am an elitist as well, and I am happy to not follow such a blind bunch as the Amiga Zealotry community. Sorry that you cannot see real facts and judge FAIRLY a computer, since, if you read my words, you'll realize that an A1 is a platform as viable/useable as any other, depending on your needs. I was just trying to do a fair, objective analysis of what it is, but you people just can't be objective, ever.

Please show me why I would buy this:
A1-XE MOTHERBOARD G4@800MHz NO MEM NO OS4
price = 500 UKP (EXCLUDING VAT)

When I can purchase this:
MacMini 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 / 256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory / 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive / DVD+CDRW drive
OS X Panther INCLUDED
price = 499.00 US DOLLARS
This is a fair point for me also. I mean, assume I buy a A1 for this money. The current amiga market when it comes down to s/w is very-VERY limited and heavily relies on legacy software, not PPC software. As Akira says, I'd rather buy a mac mini and spend the extra money to buy a 68060 because all I use my Amiga right now is for old software like Art Effect, Brilliance and ImageFX. My needs for a computer for daily usage have gone far beyond the A1, unless you can say that I can do proper video and dvd authoring on a A1 or write Java servlets and applications. OS4 may be good, but not good enough for my current needs.
Old 24 March 2005, 18:15   #29
Murakami
Zone Friend

I own an AmigaOne with OS4 and I'm very pleased with it. OS4 is A LOT better than OS3.9!!!
Old 24 March 2005, 19:14   #30
Martin_L

@slayer

" you started this thread and you're not getting an A1,
infact you're going to emulate a m68k... you should be
jailed for indecent speculation! "

Ill get an A1 when I can afford it and when the OS is finished
Old 24 March 2005, 19:19   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
unless you can say that I can do proper video and dvd authoring on a A1 or write Java servlets and applications.
Zealots will surely argument with some amateurish knockoff program that sort of does the job. It all depends on the needs. You could of use thos alternatives, but maybe you can't.

Murakami: The point of OS4 being better than OS3.9 is not in discussion here, it obviously should be, otherwise where's the update?
Old 24 March 2005, 20:31   #32
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murakami
OS4 is A LOT better than OS3.9!!!
That would be a strong point if there were no other personal computer hardware or software being produced in the last 15 years.

Old 24 March 2005, 23:52   #33
Slayer
Amiga Member

Well, I've read all the replies up until now and I don't have much to say aside from conveying that I don't suffer the burden of practicality... thank christ and I think it is time that the pro element disappears and resurfaces elsewhere free of unneccessary misleading insight I'll press return just twice, right about now

@Murakami, cool bananas be there soon!
Old 25 March 2005, 00:06   #34
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
More money then brains.

Why not buy 10,000 units so they can dream up an Amiga Two?
Old 25 March 2005, 00:34   #35
oldpx

Practicality. I though that was what computers were all about, including the original amiga.

Old 25 March 2005, 00:58   #36
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Murakami, I forgot to mention in my past reply, but under OS4 is moovid intergrated and did the programmer implement the non-functional brightness in the GUI?
Old 25 March 2005, 11:07   #37
Murakami
Zone Friend

@Slayer

I don't use MooVId but OS4 version of MPlayer. This player is far better and more compatible.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:42   #38
wlcina

os4 is better than os 3.9 ? really ? did you tested it at the same hardware ? :-) if not then you should be silent ;-)
Old 25 March 2005, 11:56   #39
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina
os4 is better than os 3.9 ? really ? did you tested it at the same hardware ? :-) if not then you should be silent ;-)
Well, I did ....

OS4/OS3.9 on BPPC 210Mhz. and OS4 is definitely faster (wayyyyy faaaaaster) than OS3.9 ....

It´s not that compatible YET but hey, 68K Support/Emulation (Petunia) is still in development, so .....
Old 25 March 2005, 12:37   #40
wlcina

Thanks, :-) thats an useful info :-) I am still running with my ClassicWB (thanks goest to Bloodwych). Also I found that someone sells os 3.9cd at german ebay for 1 euro www.ebay.de ! I want to buy it but I cant register (dont know german language) :-/. I would like to test os 3.9 on my Amy :-/ but I was too lazy to learn deutsch